Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #31,831 of 75,861
I had both actually but it was so long ago I have no idea how good they are... I think the MX375 was the better though. I remember having a red/silver 365 and all black 375 in my school days ^^

Although not sure if it’s any contest for the chi fi budget buds now like emx500 or graphene.

I find the MX375 to be an excellent all rounder. When I have used it, it has stayed in my ears for hours and hours. Comfortable as well. I think mine was only £12 on Amazon uk

Edit: just checked. Mine was £13 but they are selling for £20 now.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #31,832 of 75,861
I have the 365.

... It's OK .. Nothing spectacular after listening to other offerings like the seahf 64ohm. Relatively flat but a slight v. It does have a good amount of bass but overall not as clear as some of my budget chifi offerings. I do find them easy to listen to though....

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #31,833 of 75,861
I do find them easy to listen to though....

That is what I find with the 375. Non-fatiguing. I am trying some new iems tonight or I would dig them out for a listen.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #31,834 of 75,861
[QUOTE = "kurtextrem, post: 14284316, участник: 430768"]

.. we know this... Sunrise Dragon2 & Simphonio Dragon2+

the old dragon is good, but not very interesting for me. the 2+ is great though

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #31,835 of 75,861
I have a doctorate in chemistry, and I’m calling shenanigans on this carbene thing. :smiling_imp: Carbenes have unpaired electrons so are not stable. They will react and form something else. They are intermediates to make other stuff, there is no way the final driver will be made of carbenes.
Hope you would chime in as well on earbuds that claim to have graphene drivers. This exotic, difficult to manufacture material supposedly in $10 earbuds?

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #31,836 of 75,861
Full disclosure time, since I got full of myself and stepped into this one...... my schooling was for physical chemistry, which is basically physics on an atomic and molecular level (read: no applicability to anything practical). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: As part of graduate studies, you do have to take exams to prove some level of knowledge in different areas of chemistry. The most relevant here would be inorganic chemistry....... I passed that exam by literally one point. But hey, I passed. :fist::sweat_smile:
Perhaps they have Graphene and Carbon(another of the type that is not Graphene) diaphragm layers and are being cute with Carbenes :)
Yes, this definitely sounds like a marketing thing because graphene and nanomaterials are buzz words right now. They surely have carbon in them...... as do you and I, and my dogs, and all plants and animals..... carbon is the building block of life! :sunglasses: Graphene is an allotrope of carbon, meaning that it is a bunch of carbon atoms that are connected to each other in a specific structure. You've probably heard of bucky balls....... that is another allotrope of carbon, in which all the carbons are bound together in a form that looks like a soccer ball. With graphene, all the carbons bind together to form hexagons, which are connected to other hexagons made of carbon, forming a thin layer that looks like a honey comb. So strictly speaking, all these drivers contain carbon, but in order to say that the drivers are graphene or carbene, they should contain carbon atoms in specific structures.
Hope you would chime in as well on earbuds that claim to have graphene drivers. This exotic, difficult to manufacture material supposedly in $10 earbuds?
My understanding of the graphene drivers (which is largely based on info from this thread) is that whatever drivers they used are sprayed with graphene, so the graphene content is actually pretty low. But I guess this is enough to advertise a driver as graphene. In the case of "carbene," I think it is total BS because carbene is not stable at room temp - it will react to make something like ethylene, which is a gas, so by the time the earbuds reach you, it will already have wandered off.

Sorry for the lecture. Thanks to anyone who stuck with me....... it is fun to pretend that all that schooling didn't go to waste. :nerd:

Edited to say: I hope I am not being a snot or a drag with this chemistry stuff. I was just talking to my husband about this (who is an organic chemist, so knows a lot more about this stuff that I do.....) and how my post would come across...... I just don't want someone spending their hard earned money thinking that they are getting a new driver material that will be different if that will not be the case. With this carbene stuff, I think it really is the case of someone using a term that sounds high tech to sell market a product. They may be great earbuds, but advertising them as carbene is deceptive.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #31,839 of 75,861
Thanks Mrs. Doggiemom for sharing your profound chemistry knowledge, and Mr. mochill for pointing at its chemistry name might be typo between Carbene and Carbyne. With my limited high-school level of chemistry knowledge, I'd ever learnt chemistry bond difference only between diamond, charcoal carbon and graphite.

When you all have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. In the current earbuds market, there is only one 400 Ohm driver that is Toneking TO400 with graphene diaphragm advertised, Therefore this suspicious driver is probably the exact same TO400 driver!!!

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #31,840 of 75,861
Thanks Mrs. Doggiemom for sharing your profound chemistry knowledge, and Mr. mochill for pointing at its chemistry name might be typo between Carbene and Carbyne. With my limited high-school level of chemistry knowledge, I'd ever learnt chemistry bond difference only between diamond, charcoal carbon and graphite.

When you all have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. In the current earbuds market, there is only one 400 Ohm driver that is Toneking TO400 with graphene diaphragm advertised, Therefore this suspicious driver is probably the exact same TO400 driver!!!
Is the TO400 a coated graphene driver or pure graphene driver

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #31,841 of 75,861
You could read about Dynamic Driver component parts at Boutiquebuds facebook fanpage via English translation. Normally earbuds diaphragm is made of plastic material such as PET, then it is coated by metal material such as titanium, beryllium, bio-cellulose, dlc, or graphene etc. The other parts likes basement, ring, etc (except voice coil) have never been coated by anything.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #31,842 of 75,861
Sorry, I tried Sony MDR e272 less than 5 minutes (cause there are too many things during this meeting), and I did not try it with oldy or vintage sources. I tried it with DX200 AMP1, and I was not impressed at all. Perhaps It could be shined once it get a perfect matching couple likes AIWA D9 + Panasonic SL-J905 CD player do. Even AIWA D9 together with my DX200 sound becomes mediocre as if I am falling down from 7th floor of heaven (with that Panasonic player) to earth level.

Consider the MSRP of Nordost Heimdall 2 (2m. for HD800) is around 1,000$. Then cut all connectors out for the sake of making this Prakarn Niranam earbuds version. The price of that 4.4 mm. Nideon plug is around 90$. The estimated price of this earbuds might be not less than 1,090$. However, if you could get Nordost Heimdall 2 cable second-hand price. Its price should be more cost down.

Thank you for your kind reply!
1 actually, the Sony 272 is only a decent model in the past. Not a TOTL.

2 the AIWA D9 was famous but might not be within the top 5 vintage model.

3 the Panasonic SL-905 was not within the top 10 discman.

4 If Prakam wanna make a model with Nordost, I believe they should order in bulk( ie without all connectors). For bulk purchase (B to B], there should be a discount of at least 35%!

Thanks for all your kind update.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #31,843 of 75,861

I am very lucky to have one earbuds with diamond coated diaphragm( Sony mdre484)and another one with bio cellulite(sony888). Although they are very old(15-20 years old)they still sound exceptionally great when comparing to Shozy BK and Shozy Bk Poseidon.

So I keep looking for a modern earbuds with diamond coating or bio cellulite! Than I would fit it with Nordost cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back