Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #27,526 of 75,869
Is the foam on the back removeable? Seems like it would get dirty pretty quickly.

It's a metal filter, not removable. I'm sure it would collect some dirt over time. That said, someone buying a 140 USD earbud would probably be sure to take care to keep them clean, or at least I hope they would.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #27,527 of 75,869
This Is interesting, so many different opinions on the same things!

Do you mean ethereal as in the same ethereal that's found in the '70s/'80s Stax Lambdas? I don't know what else would even compare. Like, everything is recessed, nothing is too forward?

Oops I hope you didn't think I was making fun! I know you were exaggerating, but are thin VEs and thick Heigis all we've got?

Not counting the weird silicone yurbuds things, yech....
Etheral as in black background and open

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #27,528 of 75,869
It's a metal filter, not removable. I'm sure it would collect some dirt over time. That said, someone buying a 140 USD earbud would probably be sure to take care to keep them clean, or at least I hope they would.

Yup, take care of them. And, they wouldn`t be my first choice for paddleboarding buds either lol.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #27,530 of 75,869
Considering there is no consensus even on "loud" I tend to proceed with caution.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #27,531 of 75,869
YES! You’re comment gave me the idea to use the VE Ex pack full foams (they look very similar in composition to these ATH foams, they must be less dense than stock Masya foams but still medium density.

Now the tonality is the right amount of brightness!!! I’ve literally tried over 30 foams on these things with no luck on getting that ‘right’ sound until now...

I usually hate full foams but these just work... Now I can use these Masya’s if I want a brighter sound but the midrange sounds pretty nice now! Definitely a massive improvement over any other foam I’ve tried.

Thank you for the advice and also the recommendation of smartphone a short while ago :)

You’re the man (/woman?)! lol

Good to hear that my recommendation does help you find a final answer for your earbud.

I am a man btw.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #27,532 of 75,869

I am not even sure if it is a filter as Astrotec claimed. I tried to block them completely off and it didn't seem to make any difference in sound, make me wonder if it really is just there purely for aesthetical reason.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #27,533 of 75,869
I think My B&W IEMs had that.

I think now you can easily guess who OEMed those B&W's - kind of a known secret among the Chinese actually. There was a planned B&W earbud in the early day as well. But it was cancelled and then Lyra came out.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #27,534 of 75,869
Great choice I hope the cable isn’t too heavy for you (I found it slightly annoying at times but managable) but the sound is amazing for the price! Happy Birthday!
thanks for your wishes! I heard about the heavy cable also, I can use it at the office, not really suitable for commute since there will be sound leak.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #27,537 of 75,869
I have used the RX1... it’s very inoffensive and clarity is great but it’s not very dynamic and mainly a mid centric neutral sound.

TP16 sounds better balanced from what I’ve read. RX1 is analytical sounding in the mids, somewhat dry and detailed but it lacks any fullness in the low mids or sparkle in the highs so it’s not the most fun sound.

The RX1 isn’t bad it’s just more not very engaging sound wise other than having nice vocal clarity and a resonablely neutral sound, it’s a bit average in every other aspect with no sub bass and rolled off treble. If that’s what you want (mid focused sound) then it’s an option but the TP 16 should be a better choice for most people looking for a balanced signature.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #27,538 of 75,869
Alright, thanks again. Now I'm making my final decision between these, the AUGLAMOUR RX-1S and the TONEKING TP16. What would you say/choose?
I used to have both. If you use it for music, pick TP16. If you are getting it for movies, choose Auglamour.

In short, get TP16, since you are probably using it to listen to music.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #27,539 of 75,869
Ok I listened to RX1 again...

More fun than I remembered. still not much sub bass but with a good seal of thick foam it’s acceptable bass, clarity is great, still neutral to my ears, treble is polite and clear.

It’s an option better than I remembered without the thicker foam it’s not as good but with monk thin + monk donut over it it’s really nice too.

Hmm sorry for making it sound bad it’s actually pretty nice and I’m pretty sure i said this a few months ago too that it’s surprisingly good with the right foams. i just forgot I said it lol

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #27,540 of 75,869
What do you think about these ones (clear with mic) as an "upgrade"?

Alright, thanks again. Now I'm making my final decision between these, the AUGLAMOUR RX-1S and the TONEKING TP16. What would you say/choose?

if you already have EMX500, then RX-1 and TP16 would be a sidegrade. if you still would try them and choose only one, i suggest you try the RX, because it sounds different to the EMX, and also it has different form factor, whereas the TP16 is similar both in sound and the same form as the EMX. Different is good...you just might like them or find them better on a different scenario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back