Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #27,512 of 75,571
Mojito is etheral in sound with amazing bass response and clear transparent sound, big grand soundstage

Probably still my favorite for orchestral/classical, although I tend to use my CampFreds more just for versatility. Feels like I've come a long way from the Ety HF5 I used to use for most of my classical listening.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #27,513 of 75,571
Mojito is etheral in sound with amazing bass response and clear transparent sound, big grand soundstage

This Is interesting, so many different opinions on the same things!

Do you mean ethereal as in the same ethereal that's found in the '70s/'80s Stax Lambdas? I don't know what else would even compare. Like, everything is recessed, nothing is too forward?

Combinations and my rough estimate lol

So like I tried thin foams and donut over it, etc, etc.
Combinations and my rough estimate lol

So like I tried thin foams and donut over it, etc, etc.

Oops I hope you didn't think I was making fun! I know you were exaggerating, but are thin VEs and thick Heigis all we've got?

Not counting the weird silicone yurbuds things, yech....

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #27,514 of 75,571
Hello, from where you order cypherus buds? Tried to google, with no luck

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #27,515 of 75,571

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #27,516 of 75,571
I love both the Masya and Mojito. I think a lot of the varying ideas about their sound has to do with the way that they fit. It's been discussed here many times, with many different variations on how people like to stack their foams or other ingenious ways to get them to fit right in their ears. It seems to me, that, a lot of the times the reason for sticking a donut on top of a regular foam was to get a good fit and not necessarily to attenuate it's sound. I used to do this too. I'd stack a donut over a full thin foam in order to get a good fit. The bass got deeper, but they would lose a bit of that "ethereal" sound that @mochill mentions. Not to mention, with the thin edge of both these buds, they end up swimming around and angling around unwantedly as the foams loosen up. The foams stick in your ears, but the bud itself starts moving around, making you have to adjust the buds often. My solution to this was to add a strip of camera repair rubber around the ring, to add a bit of girth (making them more comparable to standard bud size) and to keep the foams from moving around. Now, they fit better and I can shake my head around without losing my fit.
I can now use a single foam. I get back my "ethereal" quality and get a better bass, which in turn, evens out the very clear highs. I find both of these buds to be very proficient in all respects, from bass to treble to great soundstage. The Mojito is amazing in balanced mode, so clear AND lush from my Shanling M3s. The Masya sounds great (leaner and more vocal oriented than the Mojito) from most any source. Both are very easy to drive and still sound great from lowly sources like a Shanling M1.
Here's a pic of my Mojito with the band rubber. The rubber is cushy, so it is comfortable in the ear. IMG_1129.jpg

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #27,517 of 75,571
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #27,519 of 75,571
This Is interesting, so many different opinions on the same things!

Do you mean ethereal as in the same ethereal that's found in the '70s/'80s Stax Lambdas? I don't know what else would even compare. Like, everything is recessed, nothing is too forward?

Oops I hope you didn't think I was making fun! I know you were exaggerating, but are thin VEs and thick Heigis all we've got?

Not counting the weird silicone yurbuds things, yech....
No worries I knew your question was genuine, I’ve tried many different variants of foam some very similar some different.

Realistically there’s

-thick full foams (heigi, generic)
-thin full foams (VE: ‘old’ are thinnest, ‘new’ are slightly thicker)
-thick donuts (heigi and VE)
-Regular donuts (mostly generic)
-thin donuts (VE, DIY cut out yourself)

But of course there’s multiple kinds of full and donut foams and most have slightly different densities, size and thickness

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #27,520 of 75,571
I love both the Masya and Mojito. I think a lot of the varying ideas about their sound has to do with the way that they fit. It's been discussed here many times, with many different variations on how people like to stack their foams or other ingenious ways to get them to fit right in their ears. It seems to me, that, a lot of the times the reason for sticking a donut on top of a regular foam was to get a good fit and not necessarily to attenuate it's sound. I used to do this too. I'd stack a donut over a full thin foam in order to get a good fit. The bass got deeper, but they would lose a bit of that "ethereal" sound that @mochill mentions. Not to mention, with the thin edge of both these buds, they end up swimming around and angling around unwantedly as the foams loosen up. The foams stick in your ears, but the bud itself starts moving around, making you have to adjust the buds often. My solution to this was to add a strip of camera repair rubber around the ring, to add a bit of girth (making them more comparable to standard bud size) and to keep the foams from moving around. Now, they fit better and I can shake my head around without losing my fit.
I can now use a single foam. I get back my "ethereal" quality and get a better bass, which in turn, evens out the very clear highs. I find both of these buds to be very proficient in all respects, from bass to treble to great soundstage. The Mojito is amazing in balanced mode, so clear AND lush from my Shanling M3s. The Masya sounds great (leaner and more vocal oriented than the Mojito) from most any source. Both are very easy to drive and still sound great from lowly sources like a Shanling M1.
Here's a pic of my Mojito with the band rubber. The rubber is cushy, so it is comfortable in the ear.

See now you don’t hear many people mention that the Mojito is more lush than the Masya, I agree Masya is clear and lean but I like it’s tonality with the full foams well enough.

The mojito sounds amazing I’d love to hear it, as for fit I found the diameter to be perfect (adding that tape would be too much for my ear) but what I tested before was to get blue tack and apply a thin strip around the back of the front grille, where the bud rests on the ear, then mould it evenly onto the surface and place them in your ears allowing the blue tack to mould slightly to the shape of your ear.

Now why bluetack? Surely that will never hold it’s shape and well get messy fast. Well indeed, but after you’ve confirmed that the bluetack helps with the fit (thicker moulded front piece) you can try sugru mouldable tack. Apply it the same way as the bluetack, mould to ear, let it set over night.

Theoretically you’ll now have a moulded shell to fit your ear better that is durable and pretty resistant to breaking (unless you really wanted it removed).

I only ever tried the tack myself and a foam over it, the fit was excellent but I didn’t want to mess with my masya because I thought mine was flawed until yesterday and today trying the latest foams to ‘fix’ it’s sound. But if the shell was giving me issues I’d try the sugru or method mentioned above.

Anyway if anybody was having an issue with the shell design that could possibly be another solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back