Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #25,831 of 75,312
If you were happy with your iphone6 as a dap, then you could have gotten a diminutive bluetooth device like the Fiio BTR1 for streaming duties, and saved some bulk and weight. Having said that, yes, I'm very interested in your guinea pigging duties lol (I will be interested in how the V20 compares to your iphone6 and iphone6/hifimediy combo).

Btw, I personally have NEVER made an impulse buy...

Sadly, I don't think it's going to work for me due to the cable being over ears design (and the buds simply do not stay in my ear) :frowning2:
Also, the Fiio BTR1 has made it somewhat irrelevant for me.
I’m only mildly satisfied with my 6s. It’s clear and pretty detailed but it just lacks some weight behind it, also the low end is only mediocre and the soundstage/separation isn’t amazing.

The v20 should be considerably better overall judging from many opinions i’ve seen. Also it will drive my buds better as it’s powerful as far as mobile devices go.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #25,832 of 75,312
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #25,835 of 75,312
I'm not sure whether different operating systems make any difference but I have a VIA HD audio chip in my dekstop PC (WIndows 10) and whatever integrated audio chip that Lenovo use in their low-end laptops in my Lenovo G485 (Xubuntu 17.10) and the laptop sounds sweet when plugging into the headphone output while the desktop sounds very ordinary. I like the laptop headphone output as much as my Cayin N3 and Shanling M1.

My 2012 x220 has a "Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD" card. I haven't listened directly out of it forever, so I thought I'd give it a try. It actually sounded pretty good (I'm surprised).

Most desktops have decent dac amps it’s just the noise interference that usually sucks.

The issue with buying high quality external dac amps is the cost is pretty high for the gain in quality you get from medium grade gear. If you’re serious about the best audio you need a high end dac amp or dap no question but most of us choose convince over a full size setup.

That’s where devices like the LG V20/30 and mid range DAPs come in handy, relatively (very) good audio and very convinient to use. Maybe 85-90% at a guess of what you can get out of a 600 setup and portable.

In laptops the quality of the embedded soundcard may be better than desktops which sometimes come with crappy ones because unlike the desktop , laptops sound card cant be upgraded.

In my windows properties,it say Conexant SmartAudio HD. I am not sure which version. But It is better in the reproduction of sound and tonal qualities than the realtek which sounds more warm and bright.
I believe Realtek , conexant are at least equivalaent to a $50-$100 AMP/ DAC....

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #25,838 of 75,312
I'm not sure whether different operating systems make any difference but I have a VIA HD audio chip in my dekstop PC (WIndows 10) and whatever integrated audio chip that Lenovo use in their low-end laptops in my Lenovo G485 (Xubuntu 17.10) and the laptop sounds sweet when plugging into the headphone output while the desktop sounds very ordinary. I like the laptop headphone output as much as my Cayin N3 and Shanling M1.
the operating systems sometimes has bugs and other driver issues which can diminish the quality of the sound card output. Windows 95 and 7 generally had the best sound until recently windows 10 latest version matched up to the quality.
windows 10 for long time had sound issues but i think they are resolved now. If u dont want any problems do not use the beta versions of windows 10 . just wait for a official release to install.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #25,841 of 75,312
In laptops the quality of the embedded soundcard may be better than desktops which sometimes come with crappy ones because unlike the desktop , laptops sound card cant be upgraded.

In my windows properties,it say Conexant SmartAudio HD. I am not sure which version. But It is better in the reproduction of sound and tonal qualities than the realtek which sounds more warm and bright.
I believe Realtek , conexant are at least equivalaent to a $50-$100 AMP/ DAC....
Depends on the desktop, if the motherboard is expensive enough sometimes you get a higher grade of dac onboard, some of the gaming/professional computers or self built units with high end boards have nice dacs, it’s just noise from components poorly shielded that results in less than desirable SQ at times. It’s not always the case though and that’s why some pc’s may sound great.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #25,843 of 75,312
Depends on the desktop, if the motherboard is expensive enough sometimes you get a higher grade of dac onboard, some of the gaming/professional computers or self built units with high end boards have nice dacs, it’s just noise from components poorly shielded that results in less than desirable SQ at times. It’s not always the case though and that’s why some pc’s may sound great.
I am yet to know the differences with regard to the noise u are referring to. As i have never used a dedicated DAC. maybe u did notice it? did u?

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #25,844 of 75,312
I’m only mildly satisfied with my 6s. It’s clear and pretty detailed but it just lacks some weight behind it, also the low end is only mediocre and the soundstage/separation isn’t amazing.

The v20 should be considerably better overall judging from many opinions i’ve seen. Also it will drive my buds better as it’s powerful as far as mobile devices go.
i have iphone 6 and used the emx500 on both the laptop Conexant sound card.. i prefer the sound of the Conexant. the conexant has great synergy with the EMX500. The MONks had great synergy with realtek

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #25,845 of 75,312
I am yet to know the differences with regard to the noise u are referring to. As i have never used a dedicated DAC. maybe u did notice it? did u?
I’m more talking about the general opinion of onboard dac’s which are criticised for not having a ‘black’ or silent background sometimes due to components not being shielded as well as on a dedicated dac amp.

It may be a low background hiss, usually more audible on high sensitivity iems/buds especially at higher volumes. Even some dacs are criticised for noise but it’s not quiet as severe as on some pc’s/laptops. Of course this isn’t the case for all pc’s. If you have one that sounds ‘good’ (subjective obviously) and you cannot hear any hissing on quieter tracks then you’re probably all good but aside from sound quality noise is a general issue raised with pc audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back