Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #25,816 of 75,312
No amp/dac you are blocked from higher listening. A plain and simple fact. I am sorry

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #25,818 of 75,312
It's not the sort of music I normally listen to so it's hard for me to say if it sounds like it should or not. Maybe you can say what it is you are wanting to judge? Imaging seems good, separation is good. Vocals sound nice, sweet, possibly a little on the thin side but maybe that's how they were recorded. A little sibilant when the guys sing a bit of backing vocals towards the end of the song. Drum beat is deep and kind of muffled sounding; again, maybe that's how it's supposed to sound! I found it difficult to focus on the music all the way through but I can tell you the girl was wearing a short, leopard print skirt, knee-high black boots and some sort of gold braid around her stomach when she was laying on top of the car :p

Edit: Actually the vocals don't sound thin on iPad. First time I listened on PC with Creative USB sound card that I think has crazy high output impedance and it makes things sound a bit boomy and unbalanced.

Its by the musician AR Rahman. his music is not the stuff u hear everyday as it defies classification.

Thanks for the impression. u can try this and tell me . its a highly articulated song by AR Rahman

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #25,819 of 75,312
No amp/dac you are blocked from higher listening. A plain and simple fact. I am sorry
Technically he does use a dac and amp... just the basic internal one in his computer/phone. Whether it’s any good or not is the point though, most internal computer components measure decently but noise from other components can be an issue but obviously a higher grade dac and amp will measurebly improve the overall SQ experienced.

I’m really interested in the Oppo HS2 SE as a portable dac amp, but it’s hard to justify the price when I could buy an LG V20 for only slightly more and use that as a DAP with spotify or anything I wanted. As the LG V20 internal components are very impressive and probably at a similar level to the HS2 SE minus a bit of the power that’s not really essential for most earbuds

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #25,820 of 75,312
Any recommendations on an upgrade to the EMX500's that have a better cable? I listen to mostly R&B, rap and rock. Big fan of bass, too much treble hurts my ears but I love the airiness that treble gives. The EMX500 also has a good feeling of making the sound feel like it's around you so anything that recreates that or is better would be great.

Also my only use will be out of a smartphone, no DAP, so need to be low ohm's. Budget maybe up to £30.

as a good feeling of making the sound feel like it's around you? the new version graphenes may fit the description but the problem is they do not have the detailed nuanced treble, mids and bass of the emx500. The new graphenes have a FM radio like sound in a large soundstage with a fair bit more brightness and rounded sound in tonality.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #25,821 of 75,312
what are the differences>

I'll let others expand upon that. If you are happy with what you are hearing, that's ultimately what's important (for you). But when providing impressions/reviews of gear, it's a good idea to mention your audio sources so that others can factor that in, because the audio source/chain can make a huge differences (due to quality of gear, synergy etc).

Btw, I notice that you are indicating which graphenes you are referring to when talking about them. Thanks for doing that :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #25,822 of 75,312
Technically he does use a dac and amp... just the basic internal one in his computer/phone. Whether it’s any good or not is the point though, most internal computer components measure decently but noise from other components can be an issue but obviously a higher grade dac and amp will measurebly improve the overall SQ experienced.

i only own the new version graphenes ( 10-22000hz) which according to some forumners here uses a different driver from the original graphenes

i have initially considered getting an amp or DAC but dropped that idea as i came across some online discussions by users that say that they did not notice much difference in SQ between the internal sound card and a dedicated amp/DAC.

as far by i can tell u realtek and Conexant smart audio HD are one of the common embedded sound cards in laptops and PCs. I have used creative live sound card ( late 1990s) realtek (2008) and conexant (2016)

the conexant sound card by far seems to be better than the realtek in terms of articulation positioning and imaging and clarity, good for movies but the Realtek has better musical quality and a forward mid sound and depth and they resemble creative sound blaster live card in brightness . as all are from different time periods in PC hardware so it's not a fair comparison...but all of them mostly sound alike and are capable of the same sound quality formats

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #25,823 of 75,312
In the face of the conflict that originated the other day when I "hit" a link from Aliexpress, I wanted to say the following:

- I do not have or have had any relationship with any seller, or Aliexpress or Spain, where I live.

- I had no idea of the possible consequences that could have "hit" a link.

- The only reason to do it has been because there have been confusions with respect to the famous Graphene and its different versions. The only thing I did was to put the "my" graphene link so there would be no doubt.

I'm sorry if that could bother some, it was not my intention to contravene the rules of HF.

I am a simple friky of the headphones like all of you and my intention was only to help a partner.

Thank you very much to those who in some way have defended the situation because from the first moment you understood that there was no interest in it.
Speaking for myself, I wasn't referring to any links that you posted - I didn't notice them. Probably best we just put this topic to bed now - I only mentioned it in the first place because I genuinely wondered whether it was allowed and then later read the rules and saw that it wasn't. It was not my intention to start some kind of witch hunt or to have a long-running debate about it (but I did want to reply to your post because it seems like you might think I was referring to you, which I wasn't).

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #25,824 of 75,312
i only own the new version graphenes ( 10-22000hz) which according to some forumners here uses a different driver from the original graphenes

i have initially considered getting an amp or DAC but dropped that idea as i came across some online discussions by users that say that they did not notice much difference in SQ between the internal sound card and a dedicated amp/DAC.

as far by i can tell u realtek and Conexant smart audio HD are one of the common embedded sound cards in laptops and PCs. I have used creative live sound card ( late 1990s) realtek (2008) and conexant (2016)

the conexant sound card by far seems to be better than the realtek in terms of articulation positioning and imaging and clarity, good for movies but the Realtek has better musical quality and a forward mid sound and depth and they resemble creative sound blaster live card in brightness . as all are from different time periods in PC hardware so it's not a fair comparison...but all of them mostly sound alike and are capable of the same sound quality formats
I'm not sure whether different operating systems make any difference but I have a VIA HD audio chip in my dekstop PC (WIndows 10) and whatever integrated audio chip that Lenovo use in their low-end laptops in my Lenovo G485 (Xubuntu 17.10) and the laptop sounds sweet when plugging into the headphone output while the desktop sounds very ordinary. I like the laptop headphone output as much as my Cayin N3 and Shanling M1.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #25,825 of 75,312
I'm not sure whether different operating systems make any difference but I have a VIA HD audio chip in my dekstop PC (WIndows 10) and whatever integrated audio chip that Lenovo use in their low-end laptops in my Lenovo G485 (Xubuntu 17.10) and the laptop sounds sweet when plugging into the headphone output while the desktop sounds very ordinary. I like the laptop headphone output as much as my Cayin N3 and Shanling M1.

My 2012 x220 has a "Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD" card. I haven't listened directly out of it forever, so I thought I'd give it a try. It actually sounded pretty good (I'm surprised).

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #25,826 of 75,312
My 2012 x220 has a "Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD" card. I haven't listened directly out of it forever, so I thought I'd give it a try. It actually sounded pretty good (I'm surprised).
Most desktops have decent dac amps it’s just the noise interference that usually sucks.

The issue with buying high quality external dac amps is the cost is pretty high for the gain in quality you get from medium grade gear. If you’re serious about the best audio you need a high end dac amp or dap no question but most of us choose convince over a full size setup.

That’s where devices like the LG V20/30 and mid range DAPs come in handy, relatively (very) good audio and very convinient to use. Maybe 85-90% at a guess of what you can get out of a 600 setup and portable.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #25,827 of 75,312
Most desktops have decent dac amps it’s just the noise interference that usually sucks.

The issue with buying high quality external dac amps is the cost is pretty high for the gain in quality you get from medium grade gear. If you’re serious about the best audio you need a high end dac amp or dap no question but most of us choose convince over a full size setup.

Desktop versus Mobile. My laptop serves as my desktop source, and it pretty much sits there, so I wouldn't mind having a good dap/amp permanently there as well (and it's more about $$$ than anything). Someday I'd like to go for something like the Grace m9XX Dac/Amp, but for now I make due with my zuperdac & various portable amps.

That’s where devices like the LG V20/30 and mid range DAPs come in handy, relatively (very) good audio and very convinient to use. Maybe 85-90% at a guess of what you can get out of a 600 setup and portable.

Yup. LG probably would have pried me away from Samsung if they had the higher level DACs in their North American offerings.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #25,828 of 75,312
Any recommendations on an upgrade to the EMX500's that have a better cable? I listen to mostly R&B, rap and rock. Big fan of bass, too much treble hurts my ears but I love the airiness that treble gives. The EMX500 also has a good feeling of making the sound feel like it's around you so anything that recreates that or is better would be great.

Also my only use will be out of a smartphone, no DAP, so need to be low ohm's. Budget maybe up to £30.

I wouldn't recommend the new Graphenes. These are great, they resemble EMX500 but some say they are better: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RY4...e-MX500-style-earphone-3-5mm/32820438211.html

These could be one option also but I haven't tried them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...arplugs-Headset-Metal-Earbud/32807549451.html

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #25,829 of 75,312
There was an lg v20 on ebay second hand but in good condition for €170 which i’ve been eyeing for a few days as my portable source.

It’s locked to one carrier but I don’t mind that, i’ll be using it solely as a DAP for now.

I cannot see a better option under 200 with the ability to play spotify and youtube with ease...

I just bought it before someone else did. The price was too good. Hope it gets to me before christmas as it’s only across the pond in England. I’ll consider it an early christmas present to myself xD

I’m not usually an impulsive buyer but I really wanted a new source and wasn’t fancying the idea of spending 500 or such on a DAP with spotify...

If anyone else is considering this device I’ll be the test dummy and let you know my impressions first lol

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #25,830 of 75,312
There was an lg v20 on ebay second hand but in good condition for €170 which i’ve been eyeing for a few days as my portable source.

It’s locked to one carrier but I don’t mind that, i’ll be using it solely as a DAP for now.

I cannot see a better option under 200 with the ability to play spotify and youtube with ease...

I just bought it before someone else did. The price was too good. Hope it gets to me before christmas as it’s only across the pond in England. I’ll consider it an early christmas present to myself xD

I’m not usually an impulsive buyer but I really wanted a new source and wasn’t fancying the idea of spending 500 or such on a DAP with spotify...

If anyone else is considering this device I’ll be the test dummy and let you know my impressions first lol

If you were happy with your iphone6 as a dap, then you could have gotten a diminutive bluetooth device like the Fiio BTR1 for streaming duties, and saved some bulk and weight. Having said that, yes, I'm very interested in your guinea pigging duties lol (I will be interested in how the V20 compares to your iphone6 and iphone6/hifimediy combo).

Btw, I personally have NEVER made an impulse buy...

I'd like to get a "bluetooth earbud" setup as a gift to me on 11/11. Now I just have to decide between the Svara L for $55 or the **** PT15 for a whopping $8. Or maybe something else. Although I like bass, based on your descriptions I think that the **** PT15 might be the best bet. Also it's dirt cheap lol.

I'll probably also get the NiceHCK HB1 bluetooth cable for $33 that @chinmie mentioned.
edit: that cable looks pretty good actually.

Let me know if anyone objects or has any better ideas!

Sadly, I don't think it's going to work for me due to the cable being over ears design (and the buds simply do not stay in my ear) :frowning2:
Also, the Fiio BTR1 has made it somewhat irrelevant for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back