Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #25,786 of 75,268
I have them but my early impressions are not great, small soundstage and the timbre sounds off, particular in the upper mids, instruments like the violin do not sound natural. Will give them more time before making a final judgement.

Thanks for your impressions. They might influence me to not get Duotres. I liked the description of them sounding like Diomnes, but I do not really need them. So now I have a reason to not buy them. Still a little bit curious about Raven Mk2 from Crow Audio...

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #25,787 of 75,268
Hi all. Got my first pair of real earphones recently (Graphenes). I'm really enjoying the sound of it, but my only problem is that the foam tips seem to hurt my ears after extended use. Is this something I'll get used to or should I be replacing the foam tips with something else?

Also, are there any IEMs around the same price range that I could try? I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with what kind of sound I like. I listen to a lot of hip hop. Thanks :slight_smile:

- you may have small ears and earbuds may not be for you, there are earbuds with smaller housings though

- you could try listening to them without foams, if there is no ear pain, perhaps the included foams are too thick, the thinnest foams are the ones that come with the Monk+

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #25,788 of 75,268
That might be a great choice. I haven't heard Aurvana Air but read that it has got a sound signature similar to the old Audio Technica CM700 series, and that is not too far from what you are looking for.
I still want to push for Yincrow RW-777, mainly because it seems like only ClieOS and I have bought it so far. RW-777 is closer to the CM7/700 type of sound, which is not too far from the AKG K70x type of sound, than Graphene and Moondrop Nameless. Even if both of those are really good, especially considering the price.

The problem with the Yincrow RW-777 I have is mostly that I can't find much information about it. I only found two reviews in Japanese, one seemed to say it was good but not great, and the other said it had a wide soundstage that didn't compromise the details, which sounds great.

I am also worried about the quality. I bought the Yincrow X6, and while I like the sound when I want something warm with bass splash, I haven't seen such a thin and weak looking cable in a long time, and the pictures of the RW-777 also seems to have weak cables.

At the current price, the Aurvana Air is about 10 USDs more, but I get amazon prime delivery time and return potential if I really hate it, so I am really leaning towards that option.

Since you have it, what are your impressions of it? Does the cable look sturdy and durable? How are the imaging and soundstage? Does it sound natural and coherent?

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #25,792 of 75,268
The problem with the Yincrow RW-777 I have is mostly that I can't find much information about it. I only found two reviews in Japanese, one seemed to say it was good but not great, and the other said it had a wide soundstage that didn't compromise the details, which sounds great.

I am also worried about the quality. I bought the Yincrow X6, and while I like the sound when I want something warm with bass splash, I haven't seen such a thin and weak looking cable in a long time, and the pictures of the RW-777 also seems to have weak cables.

At the current price, the Aurvana Air is about 10 USDs more, but I get amazon prime delivery time and return potential if I really hate it, so I am really leaning towards that option.

Since you have it, what are your impressions of it? Does the cable look sturdy and durable? How are the imaging and soundstage? Does it sound natural and coherent?

I can understand you. I bought it blindly together with NiceHCK Graphene and DIY PK2 and got a good package deal since I'm a returning customer.
There are so many new great earbuds around $20-25 that the price range ~$40 to $100 might be skipped over. That will work against something like RW-777.

Have you seen Sennheiser MX980/985 in real life? The cable on RW-777 reminds me a bit of it. A bit on the thinner side but not really weak. Overall the build is good and looks professional. The housing is the same shape as Hifiman ES100 but in metal instead of plastic.
The only thing I cannot understand is why the earbuds are not marked with R and L. They are asymmetrical so that helps (as well as listening to songs you know to decide which side is right and which side is left).

I used RW-777 to work today and I can say that they doesn't really work with thrash and death metal. They are transparent and very clear sounding but the sound is a bit too thin. With other genres with mainly acoustic instruments, they can work great.

I often use this instrumental Allan Holdsworth track (either the Road Games (1984) version, or the one I prefer off Wardenclyffe Tower (1992)) to see how earbuds can handle imaging and soundstage. There's a ton of percussion used and reverb and delay that adds to the depth.

RW-777 handles it without any problem. Every little hit on the percussion is well defined and has got a sort of "physical" place in the soundstage. You can easily pinpoint every little sound.The soundstage is deep and wide and out of your head, perhaps because there is no mid bass or mid emphasis? It's probably the earbud I own with the third best soundstage (after Cypherus CAX Red Dragon and ABnormal Diomnes Lv2). Considering that Red Dragon, by far the best earbuds or even headphones I've heard, are custom made and cost over $700 (I got my pair for a little over $600 used) and Diomnes Lv2 used to cost $180 excluding shipping before they were discontinued, that's a pretty good grade to RW-777.

ClieOS wrote this about RW-777: "The RW-777 on the other hand has more of a mature sound - warm and smooth with a pretty good mid-range."
I find it to be smooth and detailed but not that warm. On the other hand it's not bright at all. I do find it to be slightly lean or thin sounding compared to some other earbuds around the same price. That's why I consider it to be more about clarity and soundstage.

Anyway, Creative Aurvana Air might fit your description quite well. There aren't many earbuds with that sort of AKG K70x type of sound...
So you should go for Aurvana Air. At least for now. Until you get an itch to try something new...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #25,793 of 75,268

I think the two jap bloggers quarreled over their different views of Yincrow RW-777 and Blogger Metal's earbuds ranking .

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #25,794 of 75,268
take out the blue/red ones and the white foams . put them side by side and look from sideways u can see the difference.... the white foams are in a way better in bass than the monk thin foams. Monks thin foams are way too thin and porous..
Depends on what your looking for, monks are thinner so probably more clarity, new monks/cheap thin foams are slightly thicker so provide more rounded sound with extra seal for bass but sloppy less clarity or airy sound.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #25,795 of 75,268
- you may have small ears and earbuds may not be for you, there are earbuds with smaller housings though

- you could try listening to them without foams, if there is no ear pain, perhaps the included foams are too thick, the thinnest foams are the ones that come with the Monk+

Or you can be like me and wear the larger housing earbuds so often that the Shozy's don't fit that well anymore lol.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #25,796 of 75,268

Try an earbud with a smaller shell like shozy, diy pk2, rx1 etc

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #25,797 of 75,268
Or you can be like me and wear the larger housing earbuds so often that the Shozy's don't fit that well anymore lol.

Glad (and sad at the same time) that I'm not the only one with enlarged ears from earbuds uses :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back