Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #25,756 of 75,148
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #25,757 of 75,148
to my ears, yes. Monk+ thin foam ain't bad but these new foam works even better in getting seal. I did not detect any issue the mids or highs overly reduced by the foams as I usually detected with normal full foam. Qian39, RX-1, tomahawk, sharp MD, eb200, ty 320, docomo all these earbud SQ mproves or inaffected. Except for vido which is still better with monk thin foam. IMHO YMMV

I'm still waiting for the white foam. I ordered white earlier than my 2nd black foam but the black one already arrives. No idea when white will come as they're not tracked outside China.
i think the white ones came with my new graphenes. they are bit thinner than the usual blue/red ones.. and a bit more transparent soundstage..

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #25,758 of 75,148
@RobinFood sorry didn't see it was for gaming. Probably not the cygnus then the staging isn't as big as you'd hope for.

The Rose Masya has a great soundstage but the imaging is only mediocre IMO, so maybe not that either.

The nameless may be a good shout for a more mid range price.

I still think from what I've read the aurvana air may be an option for you.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #25,760 of 75,148
i think the white ones came with my new graphenes. they are bit thinner than the usual blue/red ones.. and a bit more transparent soundstage..
Maybe I’ll have to check them again, I was sure the monk thins stretched thinner in use because they were more spongy/flexible and the cheap ones tend to just break if stretched too far. Maybe fresh ones are thinner on the cheaps but to me the monks in practice performed better. Narrow margins though, both sound good.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #25,761 of 75,148
Samsara. They sound more mature, polished, warm with great speed and punch.
Thanks. Are they the best for around £100 or should I look at others?

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #25,762 of 75,148
Thanks. Are they the best for around £100 or should I look at others?
You can buy it from whoever gives you the best price. I'm not sure that there are variances in the Samsara from seller to seller. I had to send 2 of them back as the first unit I had had a driver issue and the second had bubbles in the finish. Hopefully the third time is a charm. Look at Nicehck and ask for a better deal. Hope that helps.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #25,763 of 75,148
@RobinFood sorry didn't see it was for gaming. Probably not the cygnus then the staging isn't as big as you'd hope for.

The Rose Masya has a great soundstage but the imaging is only mediocre IMO, so maybe not that either.

The nameless may be a good shout for a more mid range price.

I still think from what I've read the aurvana air may be an option for you.

I think I will try the aurvana. It is relatively cheap here, and this monday is Cyber Monday in Japan. I will pick it up if there is a good discount on it.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #25,764 of 75,148
I think I will try the aurvana. It is relatively cheap here, and this monday is Cyber Monday in Japan. I will pick it up if there is a good discount on it.
Yes I didn’t realise you were in Japan, on the creative website the price is much lower I think like €45 equivalent in Japanese Yen. Might be the best deal.

I think you can remove the earhooks if you wanted, not everyone likes them.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #25,765 of 75,148
They you go guys. The porous foam on AE. Not as thin as monk+ but in my experience has better seal quality (maybe my ears.)

100 Pcs Black Sponge
http://s.aliexpress.com/uyae6zIB
(from AliExpress Android)

Exactly this sentiment! they're great thin foams, not quite as delicate as monk foams which is great for me. They're also less scratchy than the fluffy foams. Comparing hiegi full foams to these, you can clearly hear the difference. The hiegis definitely do affect detail, but they make earbuds sound bassier and darker in return. I've hole punched some hiegi full foams with 2 tiny holes, and even then i'm able to hear the treble escape much more clearly. Just expect a few defective ones in a huge cheap bag of foams, not a big deal.

So, it's all about matching the right foams to the right bud. I love these thin foams with my k's 300 pro since they can do a solid 20hz tone with sub bass EQ on my magni 3...they do not need excess bass. But with kineras, they're detailed and bright leaning, so hiegis foams balance them out pretty well even if detail is affected a bit. And even then, I always use sub bass EQ even though im no bass head...I just believe in the harman curve. I'd love to see some thin hiegis, or better yet, dual density foams for the best of both sides :p

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #25,766 of 75,148
Yes I didn’t realise you were in Japan, on the creative website the price is much lower I think like €45 equivalent in Japanese Yen. Might be the best deal.

I think you can remove the earhooks if you wanted, not everyone likes them.

Creative has a 30% site-wide sale ATM, unfortunately the Air is out of stock, tried to grab a pair myself the other day.

From reading Danneq's comments the Yincrow 777 is looking pretty good though.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #25,767 of 75,148
The new Lyra Collection 32 ohm from Astrotec is a gorgeous looking and sounding flagship earbud for the brand.

https://head-fi.org/showcase/astrotec-lyra-collection.22766/reviews

20171120_153730_Film1.jpg

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #25,768 of 75,148
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #25,769 of 75,148
i just like state this to everyone using laptops that use embedded conexant smartaudio HD sound card and windows 10 . Sometimes u hear the sound as flat. that because of some bugs related to windows 10 services for the sound enhancements to work.

restart the device or completely remove and reinstall the drivers for the proper services to start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back