Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 5, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #25,637 of 75,443
i find that its rather bright tonality. just that its not sharp in resolution. everything seems to come off one large sound. when u say full foam what foams are u referring too?
Yeah I suppose it's not perfectly detailed across the spectrum but I did find the treble a bit too hot. 2 layers of foam helped reduce the hot treble, and also creating a better seal for me making them sound much fuller -- originally I thought they sounded a little bit 'thin', now it sounds more like a full-size headphone(I would compare it to sennheiser px100). Though another combination of foams may create a better seal for other people - depends on your ears. The foams I used are the equivalent of Monk+ thick foams (I think those that come with graphenes are similar), and the thick donuts that come with Monk+.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #25,638 of 75,443
can someone tell me if i want the large soundstage of the new graphene but at the same time the sound signature of the EMX500 ... which earbuds to get?
emx500 soundstage is big already? Are you saying you want a bigger stage? getting into full size headphones big here lol

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #25,640 of 75,443
Yeah I suppose it's not perfectly detailed across the spectrum but I did find the treble a bit too hot. 2 layers of foam helped reduce the hot treble, and also creating a better seal for me making them sound much fuller -- originally I thought they sounded a little bit 'thin', now it sounds more like a full-size headphone(I would compare it to sennheiser px100). Though another combination of foams may create a better seal for other people - depends on your ears. The foams I used are the equivalent of Monk+ thick foams (I think those that come with graphenes are similar), and the thick donuts that come with Monk+.
thanks. will try it out ... anyway i find the new graphene sound to be on steroids and brutish in their presentation

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #25,643 of 75,443
Like I said before, I'm really glad that you pointed that one out. Some pics:

images

One is being shipped to me, and I'm pretty sure it's going to make me look as happy as this lady:

images

To my ears, my phone (S7 edge exynos) sounds great, and I have been listening to it so much lately that it has basically taken over DAP duties. I was also enjoying streaming Tidal and Frisky radio off of it. So I started to also want to get into bluetooth capabilities so that my phone could be free, and I bought a few different bluetooth items (August EP650's which actually sound rather great when EQ'd and made me a believer in bluetooth technology in general), and more recently the NiceCHK HB1 bluetooth cable that I could start using with mmcx earbuds (I haven't received it yet).

But I realize that I don't really want to start buying a whole bunch of bluetooth headphones and/or cables and/or earbuds with mmcx connectors etc. What I really want is to be able listen to my wired inventory of buds and headphones, but without being wired to my phone. The bluetooth gizmo would need the following qualities: (a) small and light; (b) have a clip on it; (c) support bluetooth 4.1 and greater; support APTX; (d) sound great; (e) not be too expensive.

For a long time I was lusting over the Cayin N3 as a DAP and also to be able to use for the above purposes. But alas, it doesn't receive APTX, and also, I realized that I'm actually happier with using my phone as my main main DAP.

So on paper, that Fiio BTR1 looks like it will be the solution for me. Another benefit for me is that I'll be able to hook it up to my stereo when desired and control it from my phone across the room. Bonus.

I'll keep you posted on how well it works out!

Fwiw, the BTR1 doesn't currently receive in AAC from apple devices (which is kind of the equivalent of APTX for non-apple devices), so be aware of this if you have an iphone etc. Read the above quoted thread for more information about that.

It probably isn't the right gizmo for you. But I usually have my earbuds (or headphone) cable running down the inside of my shirt and to the phone which is in a belt holster. I really don't like having the cable hanging loose on the outside of my shirt (often gets caught on things etc). So because I like to wear them this way, having the cables attached to the phone is a pain whenever I want to take my phone out of it's holster and use it for browsing etc (including sometimes just wanting to leave it on my desk). What I'll do with the btr1 is have it also clipped to my belt or in a pocket (I doubt I will ever have it clipped to my shirt like in that photo), and my phone will be happily untethered. So for me, that will be much more convenient. And also the application of having it attached to my stereo will offer a lot of convenience as well.

A bit of an update (I posted the below in the BTR1 thread as well):

I got my Fiio BTR1 this morning. I am beyond happy with it so far:
- inexpensive
- very small, but solid and well built, and has a clip on it
- nice controls
- using it with my S7 edge (exynos) in aptx mode I presume, listening to 16/44 flac files.. it sounds very good to my non-golden ears and sounds so close in quality compared to listening straight off of the phone that I'm very happy with it.
- bluetooth connection is solid, no hiss that can hear, range is decent.
- amp is powerful enough for my needs and for most of my gear.
- everything I've tried so far off of it sounds great (graphene and seahf 150 earbuds, vmoda m100's, nighthawks etc)

I'll report back if I find any issues, but as of right now this is going into my "one of the best audio purchases I've made" category.

Thanks Fiio!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #25,644 of 75,443
with the new graphenes i find that using the donut foams helps bring out the bass and sub bass

+1. And if you haven't already done so, try shifting the angle of the stems as well. Instead of hanging straight down, I get a better seal and more bass by pushing the bottom of the stems forward. Everyone's ears are different though, so just try moving them around to see what works best for you.

edit: I'm relating to the "old" graphene above btw.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #25,646 of 75,443
thanks. will try it out ... anyway i find the new graphene sound to be on steroids and brutish in their presentation

+1. And if you haven't already done so, try shifting the angle of the stems as well. Instead of hanging straight down, I get a better seal and more bass by pushing the bottom of the stems forward. Everyone's ears are different though, so just try moving them around to see what works best for you.

edit: I'm relating to the "old" graphene above btw.

I have no idea which graphene I have coming. It was ordered on 11:11 by my husband. I don't think I have even seen a photo of it but I do know it is clear. That's all.

at this rate, the EB200 that was ordered last week (also by my husband) could arrive first!

Meanwhile, I have been in a headphone mood the past few days but I did listen with my Monks for a few hours last night. I think I have finally figured out that they do fit me. They were the first buds I had ever had in my ears and I had no idea how to place them. So I just kept ordering other things that might be smaller. So far I have not been disappointed in any bud I have tried.... because I find lots of good reviews here first:)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #25,647 of 75,443
at this rate, the EB200 that was ordered last week (also by my husband) could arrive first!

haha - I had ordered a Jazz R7.0 amp and some adapter just after 11.11. I wondered why the tracking kept saying it was waiting for pick up. I eventually asked Jim (NiceHCK) if it was indeed on it's way and the tracking was wrong, when he replied that China Customs had just returned the package! Doesn't matter what country you are in, the Customs are out to get ya. :) Happily, the package is on it's way again.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #25,648 of 75,443
So far I have not been disappointed in any bud I have tried.... because I find lots of good reviews here first:)

And if you are lucky like me, because we're blessed with amazingly adaptive ears :)

Hmm, judging by my drawers full of headphones and earbuds, I suppose that adaptive ears can also be a curse (for the wallet at least!).

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #25,649 of 75,443
And if you are lucky like me, because we're blessed with amazingly adaptive ears :)

I have said that I do enjoy different sound signatures.

Hmm, judging by my drawers full of headphones and earbuds, I suppose that adaptive ears can also be a curse (for the wallet at least!).

It will get really expensive when we need a whole new house to keep all this stuff in! It is doubly dangerous to have two headfiers in the house. Dangerous to the wallet and to the house. Some of my headphone cases are under chairs... lol. I have stopped though. These buds that are on the way are my last. I have already stopped getting more headphones and iems.

I wonder if I will ever get that MEMT x6. I am not convinced that the seller actually has it in stock.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #25,650 of 75,443
Lads what’s the best warm bassy earbud around $80-150 for all uses (mobile and desktop and not too sourcs picky). Something with polite treble more mids and bass emphasised.

Asking for someone else :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back