Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #25,606 of 75,297
Oh yes the Kinera Earbuds are pretty insensitive. And require some amplification to shine. The Kinera really does give the Cygnus a run for its money. Really wish I had the BK to try but way too expensive and out of my budget. Maybe in the future when I strike the lottery hahaha

Stick with the kinera then. The Main advantage of the bk over the cygnus is the higher resolution of sound and fuller mids/vocals. But to my ear the cygnus still sounds great except slightly thinner on the mids for a more neutral presentation rather than neutral warm.

If you’re enjoying your kinera more than Cygnus I’d say stick with it and enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #25,607 of 75,297
For anyone who bought the NiceHCK Graphene but found the tonality too cold / analytical I really recommend applying a full foam + donut foam on top of the full foam.
This makes it seal better and brings up the mid-bass, plus it balances the treble with the mids to make it sound warmer and overall more balanced. The bass becomes less tight and it hurts the imaging slightly but it's worth it for the warmer tonality, and the soundstage is still great. I find these almost as enjoyable as full size senn hd598s :) very impressive for mere earbuds!

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #25,608 of 75,297
For anyone who bought the NiceHCK Graphene but found the tonality too cold / analytical I really recommend applying a full foam + donut foam on top of the full foam.
This makes it seal better and brings up the mid-bass, plus it balances the treble with the mids to make it sound warmer and overall more balanced. The bass becomes less tight and it hurts the imaging slightly but it's worth it for the warmer tonality, and the soundstage is still great. I find these almost as enjoyable as full size senn hd598s :) very impressive for mere earbuds!
I never found it analytical and I think for me full foams would muddy the already average midrange clarity and bump the mid bass too much possibly causing bloat. I did try full heigi foams but I think the graphene’s for me just aren’t my favourite but some people love it and I think everyone should try many foams first anyway because of how drastically the sound can change.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #25,609 of 75,297
image.jpg

Added the blutack just under the foam at the top and pressed with my thumb to push the foam forward slightly at the top. Now the seal is perfect and bass has come alive.

This are without a doubt the best i’ve heard out of my shozy bk now.

Everything is a 10/10 imo. Soundstage is now a wonderful medium-large size but presents as close with great imaging and a slightly airier sound than before. Nothing sounds too distant or too close to my ears, everything is within very tight margins but easily discernible in location thanks to the imaging on these things being excellent.

I cannot improve upon these anymore other than to update my source but these sound great out of my phone now too.

No more congested sound like from the heigi donuts or no rough texture and over emphasised treble from the monk thin I had before.

Really happy listening to this now, sooooo gooooood lol

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #25,610 of 75,297
hello everyone...first post in this forum..i have been reading quite alot of review...searching for my first earbud..looking for earbud with natural, well defined and able to hear detail in a song..now looking to buy eb200, auglamour rx-1 or graphene mx760... For graphene i found 2 model, 1 from NiceHCK, and 1 more from ****...are this different?..

when i search on taobao i did found graphene mx985?..not sure either google translate did correct job in translating the page..haha. as i prefer taobao due to really fast shipping compare to aliexpress

add on, might up my budget and buy music maker tomahawk as it seems to go for sale on 12.12

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #25,611 of 75,297
hello everyone...first post in this forum..i have been reading quite alot of review...searching for my first earbud..looking for earbud with natural, well defined and able to hear detail in a song..now looking to buy eb200, auglamour rx-1 or graphene mx760... For graphene i found 2 model, 1 from NiceHCK, and 1 more from ****...are this different?..

when i search on taobao i did found graphene mx985?..not sure either google translate did correct job in translating the page..haha. as i prefer taobao due to really fast shipping compare to aliexpress

add on, might up my budget and buy music maker tomahawk as it seems to go for sale on 12.12

The tomahawk isn’t exactly neutral it’s more up and down on the frequency response. The vocals don’t sound natural either, too cold metallic sounding. IMO unless you pair with a warm amped source and EQ it heavily it will not sounding neutral and natural. But it does have excellent separation and sounds powerful on instruments with good soundstage.

I’d say try the diy pk2s which I also ordered as a more balanced version on diy pk2. pk2 is my favourite budget earbud for natural midrange and detailed treble. Bass is slightly light but I modded mine for more bass and warmth and it sounds great.

If you use amp + warm source I’d say the tomahawk is actually very good, but if it’s for mobile then pick the pk2s or other buds.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #25,612 of 75,297

It is hard to say for sure but I would say it is likely that **** and nicehck are sourcing their graphenes from the same manufacturer. However most people in this thread seem to have the NiceHCK ones, so get those if you want to be sure. HCK also has a newer cheaper graphene version, but the store owner told me in a message that they sound different from the original ones, so I would stay away from those.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #25,613 of 75,297
The tomahawk isn’t exactly neutral it’s more up and down on the frequency response. The vocals don’t sound natural either, too cold metallic sounding. IMO unless you pair with a warm amped source and EQ it heavily it will not sounding neutral and natural. But it does have excellent separation and sounds powerful on instruments with good soundstage.

I’d say try the diy pk2s which I also ordered as a more balanced version on diy pk2. pk2 is my favourite budget earbud for natural midrange and detailed treble. Bass is slightly light but I modded mine for more bass and warmth and it sounds great.

If you use amp + warm source I’d say the tomahawk is actually very good, but if it’s for mobile then pick the pk2s or other buds.
will add into buying list. is this fengru diy pk2 or niceHCK? .i didnt have amp at the moment... only rely on my pc and my phone as source. another suggestion?

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #25,614 of 75,297
It is hard to say for sure but I would say it is likely that **** and nicehck are sourcing their graphenes from the same manufacturer. However most people in this thread seem to have the NiceHCK ones, so get those if you want to be sure. HCK also has a newer cheaper graphene version, but the store owner told me in a message that they sound different from the original ones, so I would stay away from those.
i do think the source from same manufacture and do in house tuning as i cant found this two store in taobao..nvm..will stick to niceHCK to be safe..thanks..

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #25,615 of 75,297
will add into buying list. is this fengru diy pk2 or niceHCK? .i didnt have amp at the moment... only rely on my pc and my phone as source. another suggestion?
then pk2/pk2s will sound good. I have diy pk2 but i bought dsqm pk2s from nicehck because apparently it has better bass for more balanced sound.

So i cannot say if dsqm pk2s is better than the original but I do love the original so I think I will love the new version too.

Up to you but my suggestion would be to try either pk2 or dsqm pk2s both from nicehck.

on the description it says...

dsqm pk2s: 32 ohm 117 db sensitivity

pk2: 16 ohm 106 db sensitivity

hmm I really can’t tell which will drive easier but 16 ohm sounds better but higher db sensitivity is usually more efficient.

Maybe both drive well through mobile, would need more opinions on that.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #25,616 of 75,297
Noticed the Duotres earbud by Abnormal Sound is up on Rholupat. - http://www.rholupat.com/custom-earphone/d-u-o-t-r-e-s.html

"Duotres comes a balanced sound, inherent with ABnormal signature as our previous Legendary Diomnes."

A budget Diomnes maybe? I'll likely order one tonight and compare when I get them.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #25,617 of 75,297

Don't forget to also lower your budget and get the emx 500's (everyone should have a pair!)

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #25,618 of 75,297
New foam combo on my bk. This is the only combination that increases the soundstage and separation whilst also perfectly taming the high end. With the right fit bass is felt and not just heard, but I’ll have to do some tweaking to push the top piece of the foam forward for a better seal as just doing it withmy finger improves the bass impact and overall excitement of mid bass drums etc.

I came across this combo out of disatisfaction of the treble and overall balance using my previous thin monk combo. It was good but not right. So I went back to the classic heigi foam and loved the tamed treble and the bass response but didn’t like the congestion and lack of air/space. So I knew I needed something thick but also allowing air through (heigi isn’t pourous and too dense for an airy sound)

So I grabbed my new monk ex pack, took two of the new black monk thins for each side, cut both into donuts of the same size. I put one on first then the other on top. It’s a little thick but it’s workable because it’s spongy. The sound is extremely balanced, there’s space between you and the earbud so mids and vocals are not in your face and more tastefully forward than aggressively so, high’s are detailed but now perfectly tamed just to allow enough through to keep it sparkly. Low end with tampering on the fit is full and impactful. I feel like this is how the stardust should have been since day one but the wrong foams were supplied!!!

I use the same setting in EB200!! The sound Is fantastic now

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #25,620 of 75,297
I use the same setting in EB200!! The sound Is fantastic now
Nice I really love the space/air and the seal for sub bass is great. Slightly less than heigi but not far off, the next best thing for bass emphasis that sounds really clean and retains all the details of the treble without the harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back