Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #22,786 of 75,670
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #22,787 of 75,670
The Monk Plus, for $5.00 no Mic ($10.00 w/3-Button Mic), and the Vido, for $4.99 (get the one with the Mic, if you want a "Y" cable, instead of a "J" cable), are both very good budget earbuds.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...ug-Earbud-Bass-HIFI-Earphone/32806045266.html

And the EMX 500 for $10:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html

They are having a shootout with my Vido's at the moment, and I daresay they are winning.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #22,788 of 75,670
Which blur model would you all recommended?

Blur 魔音 SPC if you don't mind paying more, but you may also not hear a difference. I don't know what your source is... (I recommend updating your signature or profile)

If you're willing to wait a couple days, I'll probably have impressions written up for the Blur 64 Premium (SPC, 2.5mm). It's the cheaper, warmer sibling.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #22,790 of 75,670
Blur 魔音 SPC if you don't mind paying more, but you may also not hear a difference. I don't know what your source is... (I recommend updating your signature or profile)

If you're willing to wait a couple days, I'll probably have impressions written up for the Blur 64 Premium (SPC, 2.5mm). It's the cheaper, warmer sibling.

Just out of pure curiosity, are there any reviews or store listings for the Blur 魔音? I've seen the name here and there but Google searches don't return anything.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #22,791 of 75,670
After listening the EMX500's for the whole day, I can say that, although they are still fantastic, the highs can be slightly harsh sometimes. But just sometimes, specially with bad recordings.

I can, however say, the bass and detail on these is really out of this world, for a pair of earbuds.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #22,792 of 75,670
After listening the EMX500's for the whole day, I can say that, although they are still fantastic, the highs can be slightly harsh sometimes. But just sometimes, specially with bad recordings.

I can, however say, the bass and detail on these is really out of this world, for a pair of earbuds.

They are exceptional buds, if you have a pair without any QC issues then you should be extremely happy with them.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #22,793 of 75,670
The mailman just dropped off my Tomahawks and upon first listen they are very nice, (this was a very brief listening impression). This was without any foams or donuts because I just wanted to have a quick listen. They seem to be balanced and neutral with good crisp highs, natural mids and airy with fairly wide sound stage and good imaging. The bass may be a just a tiny wee bit rolled off but has good extended sub bass. I don't mind that because I like the present and crisp highs and mids for detail and excitement. In listening to some Blues and Jazz, I believe this is a good bud for those genres. We'll see how they burn in, and how they sound with foams, but I think I will like them. I would imagine with foams, the bass will increase and the highs may be a little subdued.

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #22,794 of 75,670
The mailman just dropped off my Tomahawks and upon first listen they are very nice, (this was a very brief listening impression). This was without any foams or donuts because I just wanted to have a quick listen. They seem to be balanced and neutral with good crisp highs, natural mids and airy with fairly wide sound stage and good imaging. The bass may be a just a tiny wee bit rolled off but has good extended sub bass. I don't mind that because I like the present and crisp highs and mids for detail and excitement. In listening to some Blues and Jazz, I believe this is a good bud for those genres. We'll see how they burn in, and how they sound with foams, but I think I will like them. I would imagine with foams, the bass will increase and the highs may be a little subdued.
Mine is arriving, I am not sure what to expect. I have a tp16, maybe they sound similar. So what other earbuds you currently own? How do you rank your tomahawk?

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #22,795 of 75,670
For me burn in helped a bit with the veiled sound I was getting at certain frequencies. Until my shipment arrives with new buds from the Aliexpress sale I'm still using my tomahawks daily.

I bought the penon BS1 (kind of tomahawk reworked) as the reviews on here seemed to suggest that they were better at vocals and slightly less veiled sound than the hawks but in my opinion you get a slightly better vocal and slightly less thin sounding mids, but you sacrifice the airy and great soundstage and extension in the lows in the process which is a bad trade for me, also the BS1's treble is abit much at times, fatiguing in the higher frequencies

So yeah the tomahawks are nice, they just lack that little bit of smoothness at times for me personally as I like a neutral-slightly warm sound and the hawks are neutral-cold at times.

No foams gives a slightly better clarity, full foams (heigi foams for me) gives it a fuller sound imo, without sacrificing much clarity depending on the fit.

These are definitely buds I don't want to push deep into my ear, they sound better resting against my ear but not tightly as you still get the full sound (with full foams) but keep that lovely airy soundstage.

For the price they are good, just not the complete package for me!

If you could combine the best qualities of the tomahawk and the bs1 you'd have an amazing mid range bud all round. I would've loved to have seen the tomahawk in a wood shell or something done to reduce the 'metallic' veiled sound slightly. I guess some will not notice it as much with certain music genre's though

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #22,796 of 75,670
Just out of pure curiosity, are there any reviews or store listings for the Blur 魔音? I've seen the name here and there but Google searches don't return anything.

You have to contact Wong Kuan Wae through Facebook, like a lot of other DIY individual sellers. (This is actually where a lot of my purchases come from)

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #22,797 of 75,670
Can you pls review graphene ?

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #22,799 of 75,670
I am such a dumbhead......... I received the AuGlamour RX1 a few days ago, and took them to work without opening the package. When I opened it, I found this wood thing and what looked like a ninja throwing star....... I threw the wood thing in the garbage, and was fussing at a colleague about how the wood thing made it heavier to ship, and why did they include it because it just drove up the cost of the product.

Today when I went into the lab, a second colleague had taken the wood thing out of the garbage, and was using it as an iPhone stand. He was very happy that someone had put a nice phone stand in the garbage. :laughing: So apparently if you order the RX1 you also get a nice iPhone stand. I felt like such an idiot. :grin:

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #22,800 of 75,670
I just did a bit of reading about the Lab 2's. Pretty innovative, that's for sure.

I first saw it in Japan. It was beautiful but I just couldn't believe in my eyes coz the price scarced so much that I asked my wife to confirm it was real.

At the end, I bought a second hand cheap model of that brand:

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back