Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 6, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #22,727 of 75,474
@redkingjoe : Why don't you buy Rose Mojito which could be said that TOTL Dual Dynamic Drivers with 2-pin detachable cable feature so that You don't necessary to re-solder by yourself (compared to typical earbuds without detachable feature) , also you can keep your 3rd party upgraded cables in the good condition?

I don't like detachable cables. If you look at the pics and count, detachable earphones breaks the cable and solder to a connector which will be connected to another connectors. So you can imagine:
1 a cable is soldered to a connector from the plug side
2 a cable is soldered to a connector from the phone side.
3 the two connector plug together.

There's a lot of losses with plugs and cable soldering. Connectors are famous for degrading signals. Good connectors are very expensive but still degrade signal.

IMG_5062.JPG IMG_5063.JPG IMG_5064.JPG

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #22,728 of 75,474
@redkingjoe : You are so enthusiastic than I thought. lol I have nothing against you. All you said are 'facts'. I am just lazy to let a DIY guy do re-solder things until I find out which cable has the most synergy with my particular earphones.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #22,729 of 75,474
Has anyone compared the NICEHCK DIY Graphene to the Tomahawk?

Both of them color the sound in a manner that make the music appear unnatural to my ears. I guess people that enjoy the Tomahawk can also like the Graphenes.
To me the Graphenes are useless. But I seem to be the only one here with that opinion.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #22,732 of 75,474
Have you used the same balanced source before? This description seems similar to phase issues- Might want to check the phase & make sure they are terminated correctly for your source. That could also explain if your adapter is not working because the right side could be shorting together if is not using the same pinout as your headphones. This website has some audio clips you can listen to and get an idea: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

If it is wired correctly - I haven't heard these earbuds but I have noticed BAL & SE do not always sound the same from the same source (on my DAP with balanced I actually prefer the SE)... there may also differences in output impedance etc... that affect the way matches with a particular headphone?

Thanks. I contacted him and he said he'll fix it. This is starting to get more expensive than I planned (because of shipping twice now)... Maybe I should have bought a bunch of Vido's and practiced soldering myself...

When I get all my buds back again, I'll compare SE and BAL to get a feel which I prefer. I may stick with BAL so I can have the option for both via adapter.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #22,733 of 75,474
Thanks. I contacted him and he said he'll fix it. This is starting to get more expensive than I planned (because of shipping twice now)... Maybe I should have bought a bunch of Vido's and practiced soldering myself...

When I get all my buds back again, I'll compare SE and BAL to get a feel which I prefer. I may stick with BAL so I can have the option for both via adapter.

You can also get an odd balanced dap like the Hifiman Supermini that apparently can successfully take 3.5 SE in both it's SE & Bal ports, and has a different sound in each. Still haven't verified, but I should remember to do so.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #22,734 of 75,474

If you wanna play well, you ought to learn soldering. There's so many possibilities waiting for you!

Frankly speaking, if you can solder an audiophile capacitor to power supply of amp or dac, the sound will be so much better!

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #22,735 of 75,474
upgrade for VIDO is my beta Asura

Why? Everything has its time, there is a lot of good electronic music, where naturalness of timbres is not obligatoryerything..

I like electronic music. I have the beta Asura's but haven't listened to them for a while. Time to find them!

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #22,736 of 75,474

way to go, i learn how to solder with earbuds, practiced on the monk+ (very easy because R+ R- L+ L- have different color wire. Not happening with most.
by reterminating yourself 2 or 3 earbuds, you will justify the cost of equipment vs asking someone else to do it for you

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #22,737 of 75,474
way to go, i learn how to solder with earbuds, practiced on the monk+ (very easy because R+ R- L+ L- have different color wire. Not happening with most.
by reterminating yourself 2 or 3 earbuds, you will justify the cost of equipment vs asking someone else to do it for you
I've not made balanced cables before...still awaiting 2.5mm trrs plugs to arrive. I guess it'll be easier to start off with buds with a detachable 3.5mm plug - in order to work out R/L channels before soldering to avoid any mistakes?

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #22,738 of 75,474
I received the EMX 500's way faster than expected. Cool. Nice case. Cool cable that is much thinner and more flexible than I thought it would be. I am not in a good place for critical listening at the moment, but my first impression is that I really like these.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #22,739 of 75,474
I received the EMX 500's way faster than expected. Cool. Nice case. Cool cable that is much thinner and more flexible than I thought it would be. I am not is a good place for critical listening at the moment, but my first impression is that I really like these.
They are fantastic! They are #1 for me, they suit my taste perfectly

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #22,740 of 75,474
I received the EMX 500's way faster than expected. Cool. Nice case. Cool cable that is much thinner and more flexible than I thought it would be. I am not is a good place for critical listening at the moment, but my first impression is that I really like these.

They are really great. Just a fantastic tuning. If they charged anywhere between $30-$50 USD, I doubt that anyone would disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back