Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #22,711 of 75,477
I'm starting to feel conflicted the more I listen to my new reterminated 2.5mm earbuds. I've switched to full thick foams and the voices still sound really distant... The larger soundstage was really neat at first, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Is an earbud tuned manually after the plug? I wouldn't think so, right? (This mainly affects the QFred)

Edit: I just used a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and there's no audio in the QFred's right channel. Did the guy reterminate these incorrectly?...

Have you used the same balanced source before? This description seems similar to phase issues- Might want to check the phase & make sure they are terminated correctly for your source. That could also explain if your adapter is not working because the right side could be shorting together if is not using the same pinout as your headphones. This website has some audio clips you can listen to and get an idea: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

If it is wired correctly - I haven't heard these earbuds but I have noticed BAL & SE do not always sound the same from the same source (on my DAP with balanced I actually prefer the SE)... there may also differences in output impedance etc... that affect the way matches with a particular headphone?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #22,712 of 75,477
Very true! And not to discourage anyone from trying to get the best. I'm currently saving for a well deserved gift to myself as well :wink: but I was more speaking to the voice in the back of your head when you're adding things to your cart and about to hit the buy button. I think the term I've heard recently is "analysis paralysis"

My 25 years ago story: I bought a good low price cable at US$ 50, changed to good mid-price cable at US$150 after a few months. YET, After a few months, I bought another better mid-price cable at 300.

My wife said it sounded better after each upgrade. And she asked: would it be even better if I had put in the top model cable? I said yes BUT it would cost a damned 600! From that point onward, I noticed I should have bought the 600 upfront coz I would eventually get it.

After that cable incident, I would focus on buying the best-buy TOTL products to cut the cost of upgrading. I would look at the reviews, material, design, asking around the performance etc.

The first TOTL products I bought was a Sony MDR-E484 earbud at Yen 8000. I bought that e484 and keep enjoying it without any desire to upgrade. Now, a decent second hand E484 is selling in Japan from Yen 50,000 to yen120,000.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #22,714 of 75,477
I have think about these diy graphene for awhile too.

Does anyone know whether there is a Totl model?

Quite a few people said they were comparable to the Stardust/BK but i wouldn't call those TOTL. The posts a couple pages back about Cypherus makes me think those would be the end game for earbuds or really close to it.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #22,715 of 75,477
Quite a few people said they were comparable to the Stardust/BK but i wouldn't call those TOTL. The posts a couple pages back about Cypherus makes me think those would be the end game for earbuds or really close to it.

Me also believes red dragon is the end game too.

I'm also accumulating $$$ for it.

Yet, it seems that there's a few options, mainly the cable, to pick.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #22,716 of 75,477
how is the DIY Graphene compared to th **** Pt15? is it better in resolution? or just different sounding with the same ballpark in quality?
The DIY Graphene bud is really good. If you are wondering what a Graphene driver sounds like by choosing one of these two earbuds, just skip the **** PT15 because the DIY bud sounds better by some margin. Interestingly, there is a "sound" to Graphene buds apparently. They are "smooth" sounding but have great energy an oomph. I haven't really heard anything else that really sounds like them, at least with their "flavor". The DIY bud has very clear sound with great separation of instruments and vocals. I think all of the frequencies from Treble to Bass are well balanced. It's just a winner.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #22,717 of 75,477
Me also believes red dragon is the end game too.

I'm also accumulating $$$ for it.

Yet, it seems that there's a few options, mainly the cable, to pick.

I was looking at the CAX Black but I think I may have enough by the end of the year to possibly get the Red Dragons. From what I've read so far they appear to be significantly less expensive than the pair of cans I wanted to get so I may look into picking those up first.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #22,718 of 75,477
My tomahawk just arrived yesterday but I won't get my hands on them for a few hours yet. Looks like my Rose Masya is getting delivered today as well. What to listen to first........ :)

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #22,719 of 75,477
The DIY Graphene bud is really good. If you are wondering what a Graphene driver sounds like by choosing one of these two earbuds, just skip the **** PT15 because the DIY bud sounds better by some margin. Interestingly, there is a "sound" to Graphene buds apparently. They are "smooth" sounding but have great energy an oomph. I haven't really heard anything else that really sounds like them, at least with their "flavor". The DIY bud has very clear sound with great separation of instruments and vocals. I think all of the frequencies from Treble to Bass are well balanced. It's just a winner.
Couldn't have said it better my friend. They are sensational and my favorite by far.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #22,721 of 75,477
Couldn't have said it better my friend. They are sensational and my favorite by far.

Are these the ones?

Sigh - getting out of my $5 comfort zone... they better be 6x better than my vido's lol!

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #22,724 of 75,477
In my opinion they are 10x better than the Vido. I find the Vido bassy and little muddy, while lacking upper end clarity.
Couldn't have said it better, my friend. Hehehe. Vido is pretty good with something like the Shanling M1 little player because it does add bass, warmth and space, which it kind of wants. But, I just love that Graphene bud, so clear and yummy but full sounding. I could listen to just that one all day long...

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #22,725 of 75,477
@redkingjoe : Why don't you buy Rose Mojito which could be said that TOTL Dual Dynamic Drivers with 2-pin detachable cable feature so that You don't necessary to re-solder by yourself (compared to typical earbuds without detachable feature) , also you can keep your 3rd party upgraded cables in the good condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back