Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #22,232 of 75,537
I'll try those violins out. I usually listen to the FLAC version of the Christian McBride and listen in for when the strings are brushed, and tune in for the nuances(to see much of it I can make out, how much info there is to the sound).

I also listen into Diana Krall's vocals, and see how much details and definition there are.

They are smart to include the foam with hole in the middle as the foam seems to recess the treble slightly. But, it does sound wide, and good even frequency response with great mids. Vocals are great.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #22,235 of 75,537
Finally the K600 and K300 Samsara. I recently got the K300 Pro and was stunned by the price/performance ratio. Especially paired with the JAZZ R7.0. And the K's Earphone 500 have been my goto buds during the last year. So naturally I had to get both of these. The K600 sound good and everything, but are perhaps not that much of an upgrade to the K500. To be honest they have not gotten that much ear time because the K300 Samsara are just marvelous and I can't stop listening to them. Much like the K300 Pro, the K300 Samsara are a perfect match with the JAZZ R7.0. The difference being, the K300 Samsara are moving straight in to my top 3 buds overtaking the K500 and being on par with CampFred 2.

Great to see impressions on the new K's stuff! Like you I've had the K500 as one of my favorites for quite some time.
Is the Samsara a large step up from the K500? Same signature, just better?
Would the K300 Pro (since the price on that one is a but easier on the wallet) still be worthwhile even if one has the K500?

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #22,236 of 75,537
I see you have a zs5. How does it sound compared to an earbud?
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I have ZS5, Vido and Auglamour earbuds so I'll try to give you an answer.
Earbuds just sound better, if you look at the sound as a whole. Yes, ZS5 extends better due to IEM form factor and I would prefer them on the go for the isolation, but listen to any modern earbud and you get that ZS5 doesn't reproduce music properly, it just sounds wrong in a way - the balance, mids, the way the sound is presented (sound stage and imaging) - everything sounds thinner and more artificial on ZS5s (I agree that ZS5 is among the best iems <50$ and I use them regularly on the go). Put ZS5s in my ears and I will enjoy them and praise them, put Auglamour and I am in heaven, you see how the 2 can't really compare. Earbuds are more like open back headphones, but the pros of a portable form factor gets negated by sound leaking and no isolation. I see them as best value by a wide margin in terms of sound quality for listening at home, but I haven't heard more expensive earbuds, things get messier the more you pay for them in terms of value.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #22,237 of 75,537
I think the RX-1 struggles a bit with electronic genre(this is sometimes more of a case for single dynamics). I personally think the cross-overs on the ZS5 separates the sound to provide more clarity. Perhaps you are into certain genres that the dynamic drivers do well in, such as violin for example. I think if you have a track that focuses mainly on a specific instrument I think a single driver dynamic probably has better performance and perhaps more natural sound? For well recorded music, I did notice that ZS5 acted weird, it doesn't resolve that well, and sound becomes smoothed or abstracted out in clumps. That doesn't seem to be the problem with the RX-1. RX-1 does have good sense of wide space, and ZS5's sense of space is different since sounds are more separated out, but the RX-1 sounds are even across the space. It does sound more realistic, and more textures to the sound.

I think for certain tracks ZS5 does well, but it's for electronic genre, and sounds fun. Clarity, dynamics, and quantity of bass is it's strengths, but resolution is not. If you are not into electronic genre, and listen to mostly audiophile tracks that are well recorded, classical, and vocals with lots of nuances, the RX-1 is the better choice.

Earbuds, at least with the RX-1, for recordings with wide stage, sound does get opened up considerably.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #22,238 of 75,537
I think the RX-1 struggles a bit with electronic genre(this is sometimes more of a case for single dynamics). I personally think the cross-overs on the ZS5 separates the sound to provide more clarity. Perhaps you are into certain genres that the dynamic drivers do well in, such as violin for example. I think if you have a track that focuses mainly on a specific instrument I think a single driver dynamic probably has better performance and perhaps more natural sound? For well recorded music, I did notice that ZS5 acted weird, it doesn't resolve that well, and sound becomes smoothed or abstracted out in clumps. That doesn't seem to be the problem with the RX-1. RX-1 does have good sense of wide space, and ZS5's sense of space is different since sounds are more separated out, but the RX-1 sounds are even across the space. It does sound more realistic, and more textures to the sound.

I think for certain tracks ZS5 does well, but it's for electronic genre, and sounds fun. Clarity, dynamics, and quantity of bass is it's strengths, but resolution is not. If you are not into electronic genre, and listen to mostly audiophile tracks that are well recorded, classical, and vocals with lots of nuances, the RX-1 is the better choice.

Earbuds, at least with the RX-1, for recordings with wide stage, sound does get opened up considerably.
Gr07x doesn't struggle

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #22,239 of 75,537
Sorry, stuggle isn't a precise way to put it, it doesn't do it as dynamically and clearly with separation as the ZS5. Electronic genre isn't like certain genre like jazz or classical(I think these genres separate strengths of different types of earphones). Electronic can sometimes be highly congested.

I'm listening to RX-1 orchestra type music in a large space. And I got to say wow. It's very spacious sounding. :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #22,240 of 75,537
These(RX-1) just hit me. It's transparent. Throw in a high quality recording with large space, it sounds very realistic. It's spacial output is amazing.

Ok, just realized one of the strengths of earbuds. Sound stage.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #22,241 of 75,537
These(RX-1) just hit me. It's transparent. Throw in a high quality recording with large space, it sounds very realistic. It's spacial output is amazing.

Ok, just realized one of the strengths of earbuds. Sound stage.
On RX-1, things don't go wildly far away, but it's an open sound and instrument positioning is spot on, the whole space is very much filled. In fact, I'd say that some IEMs around 20$ (KZ ZS5) can produce instruments that are further away from you, but it still doesn't sound as open and realistic.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #22,243 of 75,537
On RX-1, things don't go wildly far away, but it's an open sound and instrument positioning is spot on, the whole space is very much filled. In fact, I'd say that some IEMs around 20$ (KZ ZS5) can produce instruments that are further away from you, but it still doesn't sound as open and realistic.
IME, I think RX-1 buds outputs the largest sound stage I've heard for earphones, and I thought I've heard large sound stage already. I guess nothing beats huge dynamic drivers for that. :grimacing:

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #22,245 of 75,537
AHA no wonder Wong only quoted his 3 models to me and left out the King! Out of goodwill not to frighten me off I guess...
There first 3 models are with same driver, only difference is cable, and according to the maker the higher priced silver sounds fuller...those who do not believe by changing cable would change the sound of their iem might have doubt to pay the extra bucks, though I still grabbed the silver at the end.
If the King is using the same driver, only other variables are the shell and the cable, but can it justify the double of the price of the standard sliver?
I'm actually quite interested and curious about the CA buds, with USD100 increase from one model to another. With limited infos, it's kind of difficult to choose which one.
How much better of the CAX black vs the Campfred 2?

Silver king has a bigger brother...S$528!!!!!

IMG_4897.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back