Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 21, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #22,261 of 75,856
Has DIY PK1 from Jim NiceHCK good bass or is less bassy than EMX500 or Vido? I like bass sound from both models (I know they are different but bass quality and quantity are enough for me) but I'm searching in PK1 shell.
Slightly smaller than Docomo, but faster enough bass

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #22,262 of 75,856
EB34.jpg

南飞科技 QY-888 (previously known as QingYin 磬音坊)
Walnut E1

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #22,263 of 75,856
Is there a comprehensive writeup on all the possibilities of foams or any other types of covering for improving sonic qualities of buds?

From my experience: (from thinnest to thickest - latter increases in bass at the cost of air and soundstage)
  1. No foams (too much bass drop off...)
  2. Monk+ thin foams (highly recommend. buy an EX pack from VE)
  3. Hiegi donut foams (thinner and larger hole than generic donuts. easiest to obtain too: Amazon.com)
  4. generic thick foams (comes with every earbud)
  5. 2x double foams (not a fan of this one. diverges too much from the original intended sound imo)

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #22,264 of 75,856
Yeah, I need donut holes that are larger. It does get shifted around when trying keep the buds in place. RX-1 comes with donut holes, but it may not be the largest opening.

It would be better if there is way to keep the opening of the hole consistant.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #22,266 of 75,856
Sometime it is not about having one bigger hole, but having more smaller holes in the right places.

Those who have Edimun V3 might have noticed that it comes with customized red foam with 4 smaller holes. That gives it more or less a donut foam quality (that won't over-dampen treble) but without the downside of a looser fit which tends to make dunut foam falls out easily. While donut foam can be a life saver for certain earbuds from time to time, it isn't particularly suitable for MX500 style front cover (VE's, BugGuy's, etc) as this kind of cover don't have any sound vents near the center, but located closer to the outer edge - so they still get somewhat over dampened even with donut foam. Inspired by the Edimun V3 foam pad, I did some modification of my own to create the multi-holes foam pad that will work better with MX500 style earbuds. The holes are located closer to the edge and thus will expose some sound vents for more treble. It also has the upside of getting a tighter fit than donut foam. I won't say it is the perfect solution for every earbuds, but it does work better than donut foam on many occasion.

Get yourself a leather belt hole puncher and punch the foam away - you won't actually punch a hole with the puncher, but it will leave a mark on the foam that you can tear away with your fingers easily. Push the foam slightly inward when punching and the hole will be closer to the edge - but don't get too close to the edge though, as you will want to leave around 3~4mm of space.

Three to four holes are usually easier to do and three is my usual choice. Here is how they look compared to the foam on Edimun V3 (*in red)

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #22,268 of 75,856
Slightly smaller than Docomo, but faster enough bass

Thank you for your words.
In your opinion, what is the earbuds with the best bass response (and presence) with the Yuin PK shell?

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #22,270 of 75,856
Hello Everyone, I've been out of the loop for awhile and haven't been following the Thread. Hoping you guys can throw some suggestions for earbuds.

I'm looking for some Earbuds, Like something Fun & can listen to for long period of time. I'm pretty open & willing to explore as long as it isn't Harsh. The Only Music genres I don't listen to is Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, & Metal.

If you guys can recommend some of your Must-Have/Own/Top3 in these particular Price Range that'll be awesome & much appreciated!

• Under $25 -
  • Under $50 -
  • Under $150 -
Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #22,271 of 75,856
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #22,273 of 75,856
127usd
Newest Rose Masya Wooden Face Panel Earbud Flat Head Earphone Double Dynamic Earbud HIFI Monitor Earbud Earphone With 2Pin Cable
http://s.aliexpress.com/36fmI3ua
Is there any difference in sound signature between the cheaper pairs of these & the Wooden Face Panel version? I imagine the included upgrade cable increases expense & imaging?

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #22,275 of 75,856

Users who are viewing this thread

Back