Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #22,246 of 75,533
At least if these were purposefully sized to have more of a situated fit for particular sound I can understand because sometimes iems can sound better with loose fit, and has more of stage and airyness created from it, but it is not the case for these. It sounds like typical buds sound you get from lack of seal.

From what I notice, earbud fits are disadvantageous. Fit is very very important! I can't even get these to stay in place properly. :triportsad:

Anyway I already suspected this, and I made the wrong decision to believe yall here. Bad judgement on my part.

The fit is always an issue to me too.

Going try all these foams out latter to see if the fit can be better!

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #22,247 of 75,533
Please ignore those posts and don't bring them up ever again. LOL.

If you apply the foam covering over the buds they are fine, at least for the RX-1, there are no sound issues caused by gaps(although not as highly isolating like the iems) as you'd expect of earbuds as the foam fills that space, and sounds correct, and you do get ambiance, weight of the sounds like if sealed(but, not isolated of course, a bit open). Of course you'd suffer from lack of very low-end bass, but like was mention majority of the sound spectrum is pushed out. Try the RX-1 if you don't believe me.

I'm thinking the open-ness and the size of the driver is causing such a significant spacialness. I wonder if there is a way to seal more(to the point of isolation like iems), and wonder if that would be an improvement?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #22,248 of 75,533
Silver king has a bigger brother...S$528!!!!!

So using the same 300ohm driver with different housing and cable for an enormous price hike from SGD128?
These diy-ers are getting ridiculously ambitious, competing for higher price instead of making it more affordable of price/performance ratio for we consumers!

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #22,249 of 75,533
So using the same 300ohm driver with different housing and cable for an enormous price hike from SGD128?
These diy-ers are getting ridiculously ambitious, competing for higher price instead of making it more affordable of price/performance ratio for we consumers!

Mr. WOng is truly a nice guy. He only charged the cost difference, basically. Also, he usually recommends the S$1xx good price model to ppl.

As an audiophile, I can understand his needs to unleash the full potential of his designs by keep upgrading the materials. It's his hobby to play with DIY. IT doesn't make sense for an audiophile to think about downgrading.:deadhorse:

I have a Dita truth iem with a list price of us$999. The lower model dita answer sells at us$649. The price difference is us$350 but the only difference between the two is an upgraded cable.

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #22,250 of 75,533
Great to see impressions on the new K's stuff! Like you I've had the K500 as one of my favorites for quite some time.
Is the Samsara a large step up from the K500? Same signature, just better?
Would the K300 Pro (since the price on that one is a but easier on the wallet) still be worthwhile even if one has the K500?

I think we always should be careful giving others recommendations on what to buy. Different sources, will make buds sound different for different users. Even different foams will change the perception from user to user. And don't get me started on those that EQ their gear. I never EQ, but roll foams and play around with sources a bit, and changing the opamps on my Jazz 7.0's will give my buds a quite different sound.

I have to admit that I'm a bud hoarder. I don't regret buying the K300 Pro one bit. They don't really fill a gap in my collection. They just sound very impressive at that low price point, but still lack comparing to the K500.

The Samsara on the other hand is an upgrade or at least an impressive side grade to the K500 in my collection.
The K500's forte is the way they handle low frequencies. I've dubbed them the best bass buds before. Not in quantity, but in quality.
The Samsara handles bass in a similar way like the K500 but extends and handles the upper frequencies in a much more pleasing manner. It's like the K500 and Blox 320 had a love child that inherited the best genes from both of the parents.
The upper frequencies sound kind of harsh and grainy on the K500 and K300 Pro in comparison with the Samsara. Still I'm sure people that enjoy dark sounding buds like TY Hi-Z HP650 or Zen 2.0 will feel the Samsara suffer from sibilance on certain tracks.
Also the cable on the Samsara both look and feel fantastic. Probably my new favourite bud cable.
To sum it up. People that love the K500 will probably enjoy the Samsara as much as I do. Others that fear any frequencies that can cause sibilance, will probably be better of with dark sounding buds.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #22,252 of 75,533
Thanks Golov,

Do you know if this one allows for opamps to change? I hear some ali sellers make it so the Z2 cannot change the opamp?
Read latest feedback
S70821-124322.jpg

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #22,256 of 75,533
I think we always should be careful giving others recommendations on what to buy. Different sources, will make buds sound different for different users. Even different foams will change the perception from user to user. And don't get me started on those that EQ their gear. I never EQ, but roll foams and play around with sources a bit, and changing the opamps on my Jazz 7.0's will give my buds a quite different sound.

I have to admit that I'm a bud hoarder. I don't regret buying the K300 Pro one bit. They don't really fill a gap in my collection. They just sound very impressive at that low price point, but still lack comparing to the K500.

The Samsara on the other hand is an upgrade or at least an impressive side grade to the K500 in my collection.
The K500's forte is the way they handle low frequencies. I've dubbed them the best bass buds before. Not in quantity, but in quality.
The Samsara handles bass in a similar way like the K500 but extends and handles the upper frequencies in a much more pleasing manner. It's like the K500 and Blox 320 had a love child that inherited the best genes from both of the parents.
The upper frequencies sound kind of harsh and grainy on the K500 and K300 Pro in comparison with the Samsara. Still I'm sure people that enjoy dark sounding buds like TY Hi-Z HP650 or Zen 2.0 will feel the Samsara suffer from sibilance on certain tracks.
Also the cable on the Samsara both look and feel fantastic. Probably my new favourite bud cable.
To sum it up. People that love the K500 will probably enjoy the Samsara as much as I do. Others that fear any frequencies that can cause sibilance, will probably be better of with dark sounding buds.
Is there a comprehensive writeup on all the possibilities of foams or any other types of covering for improving sonic qualities of buds?

I'm new to earbuds and do not know of the possibilities.

The biggest downside for buds(or open headphones) is lack of isolation, ambiant noise do account for drowning minute details.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #22,257 of 75,533
Is there a comprehensive writeup on all the possibilities of foams or any other types of covering for improving sonic qualities of buds?

I'm new to earbuds and do not know of the possibilities.

The biggest downside for buds(or open headphones) is lack of isolation, ambiant noise do account for drowning minute details.

So it's like open back headphones, more for home use and not for commuting ?

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #22,258 of 75,533
Earbuds has traditionally been used for on the go until iems became more of a norm.

iems has the advantages for isolation if you are sitting in public transport, not requiring suround awareness, but highly isolating iems can be dangerous if too isolated to the point of not being aware of your surpundings.

Personally, I prefer something a bit more isolating and can still make out my suroundings as buds seems a bit open for usage in heavy ambiant noise outdoors.

I think it's ok for on the go, but we shouldn't expect quality sound equal to sitting in a quiet room.

To answer your question, not as open as openback, but plenty enough to let the noise in if around.

I'd recommend for home use if sound quality is of concern.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #22,260 of 75,533
No, other sig (Docomo, Yuin pk2-3)

Has DIY PK1 from Jim NiceHCK good bass or is less bassy than EMX500 or Vido? I like bass sound from both models (I know they are different but bass quality and quantity are enough for me) but I'm searching in PK1 shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back