Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #22,216 of 75,217
Hmm, would you consider trying it with ear hooks/fin which would help keep it in place? I know with the red demun I have to use fins due to the stiffness of the cable removing them from my ears, and they might help you as well. If you've bought a Monk+ you should have some available.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #22,218 of 75,217
Here's an issue why it's more difficult to stay in place. It's because the rubbery part doesn't have enough friction(it doesn't have the friction that other buds have around the circumference area). Utilitarian design decisions were terrible.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #22,220 of 75,217
Anyway, I'll give it some time. With buds I'm sure brain burn-in is crucial as frequency response is skewed due to the non-seal. It's a matter your brain getting used to the frequency response from the lack of seal, but obviously the sound is not correct.

Let's be straight here. If the sound is different due to lack of seal, let's say that and not waste people's time.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #22,221 of 75,217
@SilverEars
I had the same issues with RX-1, but less so with Vidos. It's not about the size (no pun intended), more about the position and how to fit it best to face your ear canal. First of all, use the foam tips, I use RX-1's provided full foams, not the donut ones. I posted a few pages back, but I'll repeat it here, I looped the cables over my ears, that's a first step. Now, you can try and place them like you would with cable down, but it didn't do much for me in this position. With cables around my ears, I turned the RX-1 to face forward and inserted them sideways in my ears. They stay nicely in, don't need to adjust them often, every 10 mins or so with slightly less head movement than normal, but the sound is just sublime to say the least. Without pressing them I get 95% of the bass and sub this way, a ton more than MX style shell in any sort of configuration.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #22,222 of 75,217
LOL. How can you possibly get 95% of the bass with the kind of fit it provides? That number doesn't sound accurate. Even with buds of better fit, it's not possible to get 95% of the bass. Also sound stage depends on the seal, and this type of fit(if you can call it that) creates a mid hump.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #22,223 of 75,217
I got a delivery last Wednesday
all.jpg all2.jpg

I wanted to try them out a bit before posting.

First I tried the NICEHCK MX500 for commuting, and was very impressed. To me they are tons more fun than the Vidos and with great build quality. I strongly recommend them.
NICEHCK MX500.jpg

I got my second JAZZ R7.0 because I loved the first unit. This second I changed the opamp to a Burson V5i-D. I can't say that the change of opamp was an over all upgrade with all buds, but the pairing with Seahf LD-3.0 320 was super fantastic.
jazz 7.0.jpg

Finally the K600 and K300 Samsara. I recently got the K300 Pro and was stunned by the price/performance ratio. Especially paired with the JAZZ R7.0. And the K's Earphone 500 have been my goto buds during the last year. So naturally I had to get both of these. The K600 sound good and everything, but are perhaps not that much of an upgrade to the K500. To be honest they have not gotten that much ear time because the K300 Samsara are just marvelous and I can't stop listening to them. Much like the K300 Pro, the K300 Samsara are a perfect match with the JAZZ R7.0. The difference being, the K300 Samsara are moving straight in to my top 3 buds overtaking the K500 and being on par with CampFred 2.
K600.jpg K300 Samsara.jpg

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #22,224 of 75,217
Hm, perhaps you have a shape of ears that is just limiting for earbuds, and that's fine, now you know. RX-1 really is a smaller earbud than most. I didn't put it nicely in words with my previous post, 95% of what I'd call ideal bass out of RX-1, if I pressed them really hard till it hurts I could probably get double the amount but then you have a terrible sound experience as a whole. Sound stage is already average for RX-1, average for open back headphone, but it's a good compromise between stage and imaging so that they feel spacious and not unnaturally wide.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #22,225 of 75,217
Ok, I'll see what happens over time, if it does sound that great as you say. You're probably meaning upper bass, low bass is difficult.

earphone sense of ambiance depends on some bass, which require some decent seal. This type of fit rids of the ambiance.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #22,226 of 75,217
Hm, perhaps you have a shape of ears that is just limiting for earbuds, and that's fine, now you know. RX-1 really is a smaller earbud than most. I didn't put it nicely in words with my previous post, 95% of what I'd call ideal bass out of RX-1, if I pressed them really hard till it hurts I could probably get double the amount but then you have a terrible sound experience as a whole. Sound stage is already average for RX-1, average for open back headphone, but it's a good compromise between stage and imaging so that they feel spacious and not unnaturally wide.
Apologies. I tried the foam cover again, and they provide the friction to get a better fit, and I believe the foam provides enough padding to seal the gaps. Next time, I will reach for the foam first. Call me a newb earbudder. LOL.

Sounds much better!:L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #22,230 of 75,217
Some experimenting is needed with earbuds, just like we all did with our first pairs of IEMs. I wish I could say that headphones require less of experimenting, but even with headphones there is a question of ear pads, headphone position relative to your particular ears etc. It's just the nature of putting anything mechanical on our bodies, there are fitting issues to be dealt with. Try violins with Auglamour, Austin Wintory - I was Born for This for example, and push the volume more than you usually do, it's a very special experience with RX-1 and you really do feel the power of it all. Sometimes, for shorter listening sessions, I hold them with my hands just to extract that last drop of musical bliss out of them and it is just worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back