Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2,176 of 75,855

Still haven't decided whether I'll get one or not.

I decided to pick up a pair of Asura 2.0's for now. I read somewhere that they are tuned for use without foams and that intrigues me. I'll let you know my thoughts if you want and how they compare to the Zen's. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,177 of 75,855

You should try the ones with a silly name: MrZ Music Maker Tomahawk.

Most definitely a grower. These puppies have now busted their way into my top 5 (I do not really rank them in an exact order but think that Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX980 & Sony MDR E252 sound better overall, so the Tomahawks might be 4 or 5). I'm still on the fence about the VE Zens. They sound like headphones with a full sound, but the top end is a bit too tame for me. I would like a bit more sparkle. Still I'll keep the Zens as I want to collect top end/flagship earbuds...

The Tomahawks have got a wide soundstage, great instrument separation and detail and better bass than I at first thought. They have the treble sparkle of the VE Monks with slightly less sharpness together with better balance between highs, mids & lows (no, they are not 10 times better than the Monks considering they cost $50 while the Monks cost $5, but I definitely find the Tomahawks to be more balanced and prefer them to the Monks).

I compare the Tomahawks to cheaper stuff like Dasetn M1 & M760 or Baldoor Earbell E100. The Dasetn & Baldoor buds sound like earbuds while the Tomahawks join the TM7, MX980, E252, E282, E484 & VE Zens in the "earbuds that sound like headphones" category..

As I wrote before, the Tomahawks are slightly below earbuds such as TM7, MX980 & VE Zen, but they only fall short by a little and I'd say that they are on the same level as the legendary Sony MDR E484. They sound a bit different than the E484, but are on the same overall level when it comes to overall sound quality.

I almost forget to listen to the other earbuds I've bought lately, even Astrotec Lyra or Cesus Gramo One, because the Tomahawks are so sweet sounding...

That's great news. I was hoping they might improve with some hours on them.

Can't wait 'til my pair arrives. Have some Monks on the way too.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,179 of 75,855
I am grateful for this thread of our earbud community, and thank everyone for their contribution.

I gave up on earphones that have the rubber plugs; my ears are too small, don't like the pressure of sealing my ears and the cumbersomeness of removing one quickly.

I wish though that firms would invest in a mold similar to Apple's as a poor-man's IEM. Those foam covers wear out (and tear) too quickly for me.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,180 of 75,855
I am grateful for this thread of our earbud community, and thank everyone for their contribution.

I gave up on earphones that have the rubber plugs; my ears are too small, don't like the pressure of sealing my ears and the cumbersomeness of removing one quickly.

I wish though that firms would invest in a mold similar to Apple's as a poor-man's IEM. Those foam covers wear out (and tear) too quickly for me.
just, buy more..

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #2,181 of 75,855
How is Monk compare to JiuShao E600/Ubiquo ES903/Mrice E100.

Thanks in advance guys.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #2,182 of 75,855
@Danneq: I just curious about the extension of bass on the Tomahawk. Could you compare the extension and amount of Tomahawk's bass to VE Monk ? I wanna get new earbud that has deeper bass and more energy, forward in mid-range than Monk with price of 50$. Thank you very much !

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #2,183 of 75,855
  @Danneq: I just curious about the extension of bass on the Tomahawk. Could you compare the extension and amount of Tomahawk's bass to VE Monk ? I wanna get new earbud that has deeper bass and more energy, forward in mid-range than Monk with price of 50$. Thank you very much !

I haven't listened too much to my Monks that I got for free with my pair of Zen 2.0. I find them a bit imbalanced with a focus on upper mids and treble (very nice soundstage, though!). Good bass texture but not too deep bass that seems to become even more light because of the focus on higher frequencies. I can compare them more closely later when I have a chance. About the bass on the Tomahawks, it is well textured. Perhaps slightly deeper than on the Monks, but not by much. The Tomahawks are very balanced with bass, mids & treble not overpowering each other. So that might give the bass more room in the music.

Flagship earbuds such as Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX980/985 and Zen 2.0 have got another weight in their bass than most cheaper earbuds. They have both quantity and quality while cheaper earbuds usually only have one or the other.
Both the Monks and Tomahawks have less bass than the other earbuds I mention. But as I wrote, the Tomahawks have got a very nice balanced sound.

The Tomahawks have got nice mids. They are not the most forward that I've heard, rather I would charactarize them as a little bit laid back. They are forward enough to work great with rock music and still distant enough to not make the soundstage smaller and obscure details in the music.

I can think of a lot of earbuds that have are great at a single thing but not as good at other things. Either they lack in bass, have too small soundstage (or not enough soundstage depth), too overpowering mids or too sharp highs.

Then there are earbuds that I find more well balanced. The Tomahawks are one of those. (Yes, I notice that I use the word "balanced" a lot, but that's the way that I like to the describe them...)

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,187 of 75,855
Feb 9, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,190 of 75,855
tamed bass, vocals beautifully accents, HF with glitter. Certainly, Asura 2.0 is the jewel in the crown of VE. Especially when you consider the price. I am very impressed with a lot of gear emotions :innocent:

Too bad I bought too much stuff lately! I had to check out the DK-PU wood earbuds and Tomahawks on Aliexpress. Also the Celsus Gramo One (even if I got about $150 when I sold stuff and "only paid $100 of my own money for them - I counted wrong the first time - I sold stuff for $150, not $200-220).

Well well. Hopefully the Asura will not sell out too soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back