Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 4, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,161 of 75,538
I really like the idea with a detachable cable on earbuds! I wonder why no one has done that before? IEM's have had it for a long time, but not earbuds...

I've sent emails to many earbud companies asking the same thing.

Never got a serious response.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,166 of 75,538
@golov17 That is fairly tempting, and a cable for it should be easily acquired. So roughly $100 USD total or so, depending on the cost of the cable.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,167 of 75,538
Welp, I had decided to order a pair of the Earphone Association 400Ohm and they've just arrived.

Don't want to be too hasty due to new toy syndrome, but I'm really liking what I hear. Early impressions is that they take some of the things I really enjoyed about the Zen 1.0 and improved on them. Lovely tactile bass but tightened up a bit and a more airy presentation.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #2,168 of 75,538
  Welp, I had decided to order a pair of the Earphone Association 400Ohm and they've just arrived.

Don't want to be too hasty due to new toy syndrome, but I'm really liking what I hear. Early impressions is that they take some of the things I really enjoyed about the Zen 1.0 and improved on them. Lovely tactile bass but tightened up a bit and a more airy presentation.

Just when I thought the 320 Ohm Zen was ridiculous.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,170 of 75,538
Not such a fan of detachable cables... prefer a robust strain relief. Good option though for all those people that want to add a Mic or something.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,171 of 75,538
My 320Ohms just arrived from bug bro. Brief impression is that driving them through my Z3 compact, they already sound better than the SIDY KT100 driven by the same phone. 

It really makes me wonder, how can a low impedance bud, sounded less when being driven by a mobilephone when compared to a higher impedance bud?

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #2,172 of 75,538
My 320Ohms just arrived from bug bro. Brief impression is that driving them through my Z3 compact, they already sound better than the SIDY KT100 driven by the same phone. 

It really makes me wonder, how can a low impedance bud, sounded less when being driven by a mobilephone when compared to a higher impedance bud?
More high sensitivity..

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #2,174 of 75,538
Feb 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,175 of 75,538

Originally Posted by yacobx 

Are up gonna review the cyngus?

Still haven't decided whether I'll get one or not.

You should try the ones with a silly name: MrZ Music Maker Tomahawk.

Most definitely a grower. These puppies have now busted their way into my top 5 (I do not really rank them in an exact order but think that Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX980 & Sony MDR E252 sound better overall, so the Tomahawks might be 4 or 5). I'm still on the fence about the VE Zens. They sound like headphones with a full sound, but the top end is a bit too tame for me. I would like a bit more sparkle. Still I'll keep the Zens as I want to collect top end/flagship earbuds...

The Tomahawks have got a wide soundstage, great instrument separation and detail and better bass than I at first thought. They have the treble sparkle of the VE Monks with slightly less sharpness together with better balance between highs, mids & lows (no, they are not 10 times better than the Monks considering they cost $50 while the Monks cost $5, but I definitely find the Tomahawks to be more balanced and prefer them to the Monks).

I compare the Tomahawks to cheaper stuff like Dasetn M1 & M760 or Baldoor Earbell E100. The Dasetn & Baldoor buds sound like earbuds while the Tomahawks join the TM7, MX980, E252, E282, E484 & VE Zens in the "earbuds that sound like headphones" category..

As I wrote before, the Tomahawks are slightly below earbuds such as TM7, MX980 & VE Zen, but they only fall short by a little and I'd say that they are on the same level as the legendary Sony MDR E484. They sound a bit different than the E484, but are on the same overall level when it comes to overall sound quality.

I almost forget to listen to the other earbuds I've bought lately, even Astrotec Lyra or Cesus Gramo One, because the Tomahawks are so sweet sounding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back