Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #21,721 of 75,624
I was under the impression that balanced cables were only for super high end stuff: that you can only hear a difference if you're using $500+ headphones with a separate DAC and amp. Can you actually tell any difference with earbuds?

As for soundstage, I'm not sure I "get" soundstage or can hear it. I have an old pair of Apple iPod earbuds (not the newer "earpods", I mean the old kind without a mic, from the pre-iPhone days). Supposedly the HD558s are supposed to have a very good soundstage, but I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever. I have a whole mess of different music and even downloaded a bunch of FLAC "headphone tester" files with 3D spatial recordings, and they both seem to have basically the same sense of "width" and "space". Neither produces sound that seems "inside my head".
Most of the earbuds here are failed against the quality and sound stage of old Apple Earbuds. Apple Earbuds are so soft and have good warm sound. Some improvement in Bass an overall build quality could have made it all time winner. However, Apple stopped and replaced it with crap earpod which is not only no where near to old apple earbud in terms of sound, it is uncomfortable too.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #21,722 of 75,624
TY650 is not too far from the CampFred 1 sound, but more "clinical" and with less sub bass.

I have yet to find anything that comes even close to QFred when it comes to mids. Because of the strong mid focus QFred is very limited in its use, but they are very good at what they do.

I am selling my pair of CAX Black, but that's only because I only need one neutral TOTL earbud with stiff cable (Red Dragon). CampFred will stay with me as will Shozy BK and QFred. I might check Liebesleid out but I am pretty much content now when it comes to TOTL earbuds. Might check out some budget stuff like EMX500...

Really? Then I might just keep them. I guess I could ask for a custom from Cypherus that improves on the QFred sound, but at that price, It might be cheaper to just buy the iSine 20 (or some other high resolution mid-focused IEM). And I won't have to deal with a stiff cable, which now has a large impact on whether or not I'll buy a TOTL bud. CAX Black was just too stiff...

Honestly, if the Liebesleid was a touch smoother, with a fuller low end, it would have been what I wanted. I've been spoiled on the CampFred's bass.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #21,723 of 75,624
TY650 is not too far from the CampFred 1 sound, but more "clinical" and with less sub bass.

I have yet to find anything that comes even close to QFred when it comes to mids. Because of the strong mid focus QFred is very limited in its use, but they are very good at what they do.

I am selling my pair of CAX Black, but that's only because I only need one neutral TOTL earbud with stiff cable (Red Dragon). CampFred will stay with me as will Shozy BK and QFred. I might check Liebesleid out but I am pretty much content now when it comes to TOTL earbuds. Might check out some budget stuff like EMX500...
Really? Then I might just keep them. I guess I could ask for a custom from Cypherus that improves on the QFred sound, but at that price, It might be cheaper to just buy the iSine 20 (or some other high resolution mid-focused IEM). And I won't have to deal with a stiff cable, which now has a large impact on whether or not I'll buy a TOTL bud. CAX Black was just too stiff...

Honestly, if the Liebesleid was a touch smoother, with a fuller low end, it would have been what I wanted. I've been spoiled on the CampFred's bass.

Can't wait for your impressions after your Blurs arrive...

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #21,724 of 75,624
Most of the earbuds here are failed against the quality and sound stage of old Apple Earbuds. Apple Earbuds are so soft and have good warm sound. Some improvement in Bass an overall build quality could have made it all time winner. However, Apple stopped and replaced it with crap earpod which is not only no where near to old apple earbud in terms of sound, it is uncomfortable too.

Interesting. So just to be clear, the old iPod earbuds are considered to have good soundstage then?

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #21,725 of 75,624
Interesting. So just to be clear, the old iPod earbuds are considered to have good soundstage then?

Everyone has their own opinions. In contrast, I do not like the Apple Earbuds.

That's why we suggest you try one (or more) of the budget earbuds first to get an idea of what sounds you like and how earbuds fit. Low risk, high reward. I personally like Monk+ and Vido better than the Apple earbuds/earpods.

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #21,726 of 75,624

for me, no.. the monks, vidos, TYs, or any other are better

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #21,727 of 75,624
Alright. Keeping the Shozy BK. I always preferred them for faster metal (I like my guitars bright and drums tight), but the Edimun donut foams adds so much low end that it makes them perfect for slower, bassier metal too now (CampFred softens the guitars too much). I wonder if its because the foams have gotten so loose that it creates a perfect seal for bass.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #21,728 of 75,624
1500880969776.jpg
Received Ty 150s/150mk2 yesterday.
Had some A/B testing with Shozy BK..
My usual listening preference is : HD650, se535, Se846, HD800, LCD-X, Rose Mojito

Ty 150s :
Bass : goes deeper, punchier, fast decay but BK has better texture.
Mid : thin, forward, unnatural transition from male to female vocal, uppermid region sounds shouty and put male vocal behind.
Treble : Energetic, Bright, but not as bright as Rose Mojito, no complaint...
Soundstage : good width, lack of depth, maybe because of the forward mid..
Source: S7 Edge, iFi Micro iDSD

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #21,731 of 75,624
Yes. But I doubt that they are available in Market now. Even on Ebay it is dffclt to get them. Most of the Apple earuds on ebay are the one which came later and not the original ones. And there is huge dffrnce in sound quality between them. You might try to buy Brand New Accessories Box only from Ebay for iPod 1G Nano, Or may be 2G Nano also has the same until iPhone came. That's when they change the Earbud and started giving mic version also.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #21,732 of 75,624
The sound is warm and sweet with iPod at least and with PowerAmp also. But some time you might feel that slight more enhancement in details will take the apple earbuds to some very high level. But I am sure you will enjoy. See if any of your friends has old apple earbuds or the one which used to come with Nano 1G or 2G. Later they reduced the size of driver and also of the shell and overall killed the quality. Same with later iPod also. One side, it is very nice and really compact music player and even iPod nano 1G is small (just 31 grams), this one is much smaller than Nano 1G but they changed the Sound Chip from Wolfson to CirrusLogic which lacks Bass and warmness. But it adds details for sure. So not bad for the people who wants more clarity but not fir me. As I don't use in-ear earphones, it might be even best combination if a bass earbud like JVC FX100T or Sony ones are used.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #21,733 of 75,624
Everyone has their own opinions. In contrast, I do not like the Apple Earbuds.

That's why we suggest you try one (or more) of the budget earbuds first to get an idea of what sounds you like and how earbuds fit. Low risk, high reward. I personally like Monk+ and Vido better than the Apple earbuds/earpods.
The sound is warm and sweet with iPod at least and with PowerAmp also. But some time you might feel that slight more enhancement in details will take the apple earbuds to some very high level. But I am sure you will enjoy. See if any of your friends has old apple earbuds

Well, I already have that old pair of Apple iPod earbuds. The have no bass but otherwise I thought they sound pretty reasonable, at least for something I basically got for free. They're also the most comfortable earbuds I've used. I'm looking into the Monk+s, but it seems I won't be able to get a pair in my hands for several weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #21,734 of 75,624
Well, I already have that old pair of Apple iPod earbuds. The have no bass but otherwise I thought they sound pretty reasonable, at least for something I basically got for free. They're also the most comfortable earbuds I've used. I'm looking into the Monk+s, but it seems I won't be able to get a pair in my hands for several weeks.
In terms of Bass, I do not see much difference in other earbuds here and Apple Earbud. The only area where you feel the difference is that other earbuds have some airyness and slight thump in bass section while apple earbuds has that almost missing. Still there but not much that you feel. But comfort of apple earbud itself is big positive. However, I found SHE3800 also comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back