Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #21,706 of 75,557
@goosebill 90% of the stuff we get here is from aliexpress. In case of trouble It's actually quite safe and easy to get a refund if know how to do the request properly, (if help needed, check reddit/r/aliexpress, people will help you out about this).
I'd follow @Saoshyant advice, get a monk+; almost everyone has or had one here. Then it will be much easier for people in this forum to recommend something higher grade from what you like or dislike.
Otherwise, as I told you earlier, the earbuds market is blossoming at the moment, I'd say it's worth take the risk and follow the hype train, get the ty hi z 150s everyone is crazy about, seems like incredible value with very clear monitor like sound sig and easy to drive.
(even though i haven't heard it yet, and only a few did, I do believe the hype on this one...)

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #21,707 of 75,557
> Monk+
Is there anywhere you can buy these things that doesn't have a one month lead time?

> Where in the USA are you located?
MA. The only places I have near me are the usual BestBuy, Target, and Walmart. I can order online, but returning stuff bought online is a royal pain because I have to drive out to a facility.

I think the company that produces Monk+ has a distribution center in the US. When you order, I think you can select where to ship from.

Anyways, I order online from Canada and it takes under 2 weeks for them to arrive from China. Same with Vido -- NiceHCK, the seller, is a fast shipper.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #21,708 of 75,557
@goosebill 90% of the stuff we get here is from aliexpress. In case of trouble It's actually quite safe and easy to get a refund if know how to do the request properly, (if help needed, check reddit/r/aliexpress, people will help you out about this).
I'd follow @Saoshyant advice, get a monk+; almost everyone has or had one here. Then it will be much easier for people in this forum to recommend something higher grade from what you like or dislike.
Otherwise, as I told you earlier, the earbuds market is blossoming at the moment, I'd say it's worth take the risk and follow the hype train, get the ty hi z 150s everyone is crazy about, seems like incredible value with very clear monitor like sound sig and easy to drive.
(even though i haven't heard it yet, and only a few did, I do believe the hype on this one...)

Also DIY "Sennheiser" MX500 if you miss that. I will personally insist on Ve Monk+ as it has quite a "relaxing" sound for me however your opinion might vary. My suggestion is to get one first and then spend more to get more........ you can ignore my last sentence, I was just joking with you, take it seriously at your own risk......... cheer.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #21,709 of 75,557
Latest acquisitions, from left to right: Eking Full ($35), MX500 DIY clear shell version (around $18) **** Z&W($25) and Vido($4).

So far, very pleased with the neutral tonality of the Yinwoo and it's detailed sound sig. The Eking Full is from a small vietnamese DIY maker, V shaped and extra clear oh my god what is this very big kind of sound. Vido has I said earlier make "FUN" totl kings from last year obsolete (and I wish I was wrong...) EDIT: "Almost Obsolete" is better fitted. Still CF1 wins in refinement, resolution and body...
Surprisingly, the DIY MX500 is the least impressive of all out of the box, But of course I'll burn them all and will give proper impression when it is settled.

Overall, it's quite incredible what you can get now with a fraction of the price that what was already bargain few months ago...

ckFOm1Zvd_onPvaBrm-fGpjrnc923ruxlULJrKAAElqgmCfjcJrvDZe2NPSWbGlgEDfkqvaWHqE8ngxTvTvc7PQ3G7YQ15So8e_HpUctsDtapBK1ui0cc213ATnZzbZsm07TtibhWfv30p7NlFX2QNpGdxXjElMcG3JSFwAJbsSRRF53A0P7YJHjeZbXPaeYnIn52MH7iq0bQe5jyIuODv3_E1vBLOZx_ZqUQHMmq-0sycZptWh0ta95GCAOIDNgBau5uNADcWyCRlVMLhck2ahzHpaAdMdG7IKHS6yr_am1fRjwXVX9TerIHLIfFuO715de2eDm7rAjHmrsWCzVMp8kfl9XH5E2OayDRuGHFI8P9Yl_eW--L9NTRrxIFEem2YCTO_ASMJZrw3OT-blGuj5IChz747MztkCQoZb0K29YgGUXsVGmIqJWaAl8oBISufxxSBCGzlmXNY18Z_vS-bB0a_E5OZ5UgW1d5syATv29K7zoLmpWtVaP6drccQQUlpv0a8Dl-k6ML2ld1SNxn-J6hMMW3p_Xi6Dd8L9kRUzKXUC66ysbDPH6k1czhaa2Fw_A30daj7YpP13GLngPLFcBlxAxuHaBs1-xB8GZbmY9uJuhq1mbcwFA=w902-h1202-no

Edit: @Ver JJ for me, Monk has great soundstage, vocals and a nice, kind of warm neutral tonality but overall it lacks sub bass and there is an early high roll off. Some music with complex textures and high will sound like muffled garbage with it. (Actress, Rezzett, that kind of stuff doesnt suit the monk+ at all) but It's amazing with Jazz and some classic pop, however i don't really listen to this kind of music very often.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #21,710 of 75,557
> get a monk+; almost everyone has or had one here. Then it will be much easier for people in this forum to recommend something higher grade from what you like or dislike.
OK, I guess that's a fair statement. I was kinda hoping I could pick something up before the return date on the HD558s is up so I could compare everything side by side, but what can ya do.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #21,712 of 75,557
Latest acquisitions, from left to right: Eking Full ($35), MX500 DIY clear shell version (around $18) Yinwoo Z&W($25) and Vido($4).

So far, very pleased with the neutral tonality of the Yinwoo and it's detailed sound sig. The Eking Full is from a small vietnamese DIY maker, V shaped and extra clear oh my god what is this very big kind of sound. Vido has I said earlier make "FUN" totl kings from last year obsolete (and I wish I was wrong...)
Surprisingly, the DIY MX500 is the least impressive of all out of the box, But of course I'll burn them all and will give proper impression when it is settled.

Overall, it's quite incredible what you can get now with a fraction of the price that what was already bargain few months ago...

ckFOm1Zvd_onPvaBrm-fGpjrnc923ruxlULJrKAAElqgmCfjcJrvDZe2NPSWbGlgEDfkqvaWHqE8ngxTvTvc7PQ3G7YQ15So8e_HpUctsDtapBK1ui0cc213ATnZzbZsm07TtibhWfv30p7NlFX2QNpGdxXjElMcG3JSFwAJbsSRRF53A0P7YJHjeZbXPaeYnIn52MH7iq0bQe5jyIuODv3_E1vBLOZx_ZqUQHMmq-0sycZptWh0ta95GCAOIDNgBau5uNADcWyCRlVMLhck2ahzHpaAdMdG7IKHS6yr_am1fRjwXVX9TerIHLIfFuO715de2eDm7rAjHmrsWCzVMp8kfl9XH5E2OayDRuGHFI8P9Yl_eW--L9NTRrxIFEem2YCTO_ASMJZrw3OT-blGuj5IChz747MztkCQoZb0K29YgGUXsVGmIqJWaAl8oBISufxxSBCGzlmXNY18Z_vS-bB0a_E5OZ5UgW1d5syATv29K7zoLmpWtVaP6drccQQUlpv0a8Dl-k6ML2ld1SNxn-J6hMMW3p_Xi6Dd8L9kRUzKXUC66ysbDPH6k1czhaa2Fw_A30daj7YpP13GLngPLFcBlxAxuHaBs1-xB8GZbmY9uJuhq1mbcwFA=w902-h1202-no

Edit: @Ver JJ for me, Monk has great soundstage, vocals and a nice, kind of warm neutral tonality but overall it lacks sub bass and there is an early high roll off. Some music with complex textures and high will sound like muffled garbage with it. (Actress, Rezzett, that kind of stuff doesnt suit the monk+ at all) but It's amazing with Jazz and some classic pop, however i don't really listen to this kind of music very often.

Ha, ha, sorry I was just a little lazy to describe the sound but yeah what you said there exactly matches my very definition of "relaxing", thank you by the way. As for MX500, (first impression) my unit is a little tighter in bass (more quantity, not so much about its quality though), well maybe due to quality control issue, haven't really auditioned it because I don't quite like its sound too (also I am currently matching my Awei DIY Z180 to suitable album).

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #21,713 of 75,557
> How much of your budget?
Price is flexible, but under $75 would be nice. I'm more just trying to figure out what's the best that's out there and if any of them hold up against IEMs/on-ear/over-ear in absolute terms.

> which plug do you prefer (2.5TRRS or 3.5TRS)?
I kinda don't even care, this is for desktop computer use. A normal 3.5 headphone plug is ultimately what I need, but I'm sure I can pick up adapters to convert anything else.

> what sound signature do you like
This is a big, BIG question.
Like most people I've always bought typical consumer stuff but never really been happy with it. My old Apple iPod earbuds died and I decided it was finally time to get something good for once. After a whole bunch of discussion at various places I was eventually steered towards Sennheiser HD558s. I bought them, and I think they sound like foggy boomy crap. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and something you'd buy in the grocery store's electronic aisle. (I have a whole thread about it: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...ers-i-dont-know-if-i-know-what-i-want.856051/). I listen to basically everything, I *thought* I wanted something "neutral" and a good all-arounder. The HD558s were supposed to be that, but somehow aren't. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for anymore. The most I can say is that I thought my iPod earbuds weren't too terrible.

> and what source do you use?
I'm using a Mac's onboard 3.5 jack. I've asked around before if I should get a separate DAC or amp and the unanimous answer was no; that Mac onboard sound is good enough that I'd never notice the difference unless I got much more expensive headphones. File-wise, it's usually 320k mp3 and/or FLAC.

> Monk Plus
I hear a lot about these, but they always seem to be a case of "amazing for $5". I can afford a lot more than $5, so I'm ok with something better if it's available. What few sites mention them in the same breath as Apple gear seem to say that they're not much better than what comes with an iPhone.

Since you prefer neutral tonality, I do recommend Puresounds PS100-64Ohm or VE MONK+ SPC Edition (64Ohm). Based on review, TY Hi-z 150s is not your preference because it is bright earbuds. I assume that you might not know about 2.5mm. balanced. There are L+L-R+R-. That means Ground lines are separate, Zero cross-talk, and give you wider soundstage and instrument seperation. For 2.5mm. balanced TRRS, It can be used only you own 2.5mm balanced DAC/AMP or DAP otherwise you can't. Since you intend to use MAC's onboard sound chip, so let's stick on 3.5mm Single-End TRS, and keep avoid high-Ohm earbuds and Mostly TOTL earbuds' price is higher than 200$USD, so I don't recommend.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #21,714 of 75,557
I received the Mag7 that I ordered from vapman (after a fairly long wait), and I think they do sound pretty good - even when running from a DAP (~150mW), rather than a higher-powered amp (iFi Micro iDSD).
NOTE: I did rewire mine, with some 8-strand braided wire and a 2.5mm TRRS plug, to use with my DP-X1.

Which earbuds are they based on?

I think there are no secrets at all. He grabbed some budget earbud, rid of the brand and put on them some KZ cable with aliexpress' rhodium plug. I'd guess it's a Vido or Qian, so it's expected they will sound good. But just opening it and with a picture of the driver to give an accurate response.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #21,715 of 75,557
ok, after finally tasting the forbidden fruit of a almost totl IEM, my Lz A4, I finally understood what was all the hype was about. the unbelievable clarity, resolution and a 3d feel, incredible bass quality and clarity, making all my earbuds and iems look embarrassing in front of them. I have settled with black / black filters as they provide the best balance and soundstage, even though they are a bit bright for my taste but I am soundstage nut.

But still its not enough, I can wear an iem for 1hr max before getting quite uncomfy, got used to earbuds so much. and I feel there is room for improvement, besides trading with more comfy form in earbuds.

I believe the biggest advantage of an earbud is the soundstage and comfy feel, that's why I am look for my TOTL earbud to complement my lz a4 and act like a over ear replacement.

I am looking for something that makes my lz a4 soundstage small in comparison, I want something with much deeper soundstage and 3d, right left up and down kind of soundstage making it feel like its happening in real time. I want the same high quality layered bass that a4 provides and better if possible, like the one in those big speakers that oozes clarity and boom. I want treble to be with extreme clarity but not bright, and real life like sound. I want the separation of all of it likes everything has its place as its happening in real life.

I like thick vocals and warm sound, don't like bright stuff at all but I don't want to take clarity away and I want to keep the treble shimmers and cymbal's. the best balance of sound that has my preferred features is xiaomi piston 2 as its not bright at all but still shimmery feel of instruments. my a4 black / black causes me headaches sometimes because its a bit bright despite sounding superior, so less brighter then that.

So basically I want something that seems impossible, or is it? is there anything that comes close to what I want.

thanks for reading lol.

Also forgot to add, the only way that kind of soundstage works is every instrument and sound has that natural feel, like guitar feels like guitar and piano feels like piano etc, and the feeling of vigor when u hear it. is there any suggestions to anything close like that.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #21,716 of 75,557
I assume that you might not know about 2.5mm. balanced. There are L+L-R+R-. That means Ground lines are separate, Zero cross-talk, and give you wider soundstage and instrument seperation.

I was under the impression that balanced cables were only for super high end stuff: that you can only hear a difference if you're using $500+ headphones with a separate DAC and amp. Can you actually tell any difference with earbuds?

As for soundstage, I'm not sure I "get" soundstage or can hear it. I have an old pair of Apple iPod earbuds (not the newer "earpods", I mean the old kind without a mic, from the pre-iPhone days). Supposedly the HD558s are supposed to have a very good soundstage, but I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever. I have a whole mess of different music and even downloaded a bunch of FLAC "headphone tester" files with 3D spatial recordings, and they both seem to have basically the same sense of "width" and "space". Neither produces sound that seems "inside my head".

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #21,717 of 75,557
@goosebill : Just Monk+ 2.5mm balanced ($5 = same price and same cable quality with Monk+ 3.5mm Single-End) with Aune M1S or iBasso DX200, I quite sure you can hear something better (between Monk+ 2.5mm BL VS Monk+ 3.5mm SE). It is an architecture story. If you don't think to buy those 2.5mm balanced DAP, so let skip them. and Sure! the more expensive stuff tend to be better on every aspects than the cheaper stuff.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #21,718 of 75,557
Vido wins in the 3D cues in chesky binaural tracks. Although not really wide. Circular stage with very good focus. The focus breath life into 3D position and instrument.

Like few others recently discovered for themselves, its cheap but don't be fooled by its price.

Instrument sound like instrument and vocals feels like vocals. Everything lifelike.

I stock 4 vido myself . One already develop imbalance so order more for backup. They're cheap enough and great.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #21,719 of 75,557
As for soundstage, I'm not sure I "get" soundstage or can hear it. I have an old pair of Apple iPod earbuds (not the newer "earpods", I mean the old kind without a mic, from the pre-iPhone days). Supposedly the HD558s are supposed to have a very good soundstage, but I honestly can't tell any difference whatsoever. I have a whole mess of different music and even downloaded a bunch of FLAC "headphone tester" files with 3D spatial recordings, and they both seem to have basically the same sense of "width" and "space". Neither produces sound that seems "inside my head".
to "get" the understanding of "space" you must at least try one of those hifiman planar or perhaps electrostat headphone (shangri-la or stax) . Go and audition one in your nearest high end audio store. They mostly have chesky headphone demonstration track in their repertoire. Try it. Once you have you can "get" the taste of good space. Then you can try hunt the same sound in cheaper form. (or go for broke and aactually get one of those summit fi gear :wink:)

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #21,720 of 75,557
Updated my Shozy BK earbud impressions, added the Moondrop Liebesleid and EMX500 impressions, and added a short statement for (almost) each TOTL bud that describes what headphone they sound closest too (from what I've heard).

In the end, I think I prefered the Shozy BK over the Liebesleid. However, I still prefer Diomnes over both of them and I've been thinking of selling all the other TOTL buds I no longer listen too. This would include CAX Black, Liebesleid, CampFred 1, and (maybe) Shozy BK and QFred.

Looking for a new warm / mid-champion bud too, since I'm not feeling the QFred's anymore, so I might do another Ali order with other competing buds. What other TOTL warm / mid-focused buds are there? Maybe Yinman 600, Rose Masya, and TY Hi-Z HP650?

TY650 is not too far from the CampFred 1 sound, but more "clinical" and with less sub bass.

I have yet to find anything that comes even close to QFred when it comes to mids. Because of the strong mid focus QFred is very limited in its use, but they are very good at what they do.

I am selling my pair of CAX Black, but that's only because I only need one neutral TOTL earbud with stiff cable (Red Dragon). CampFred will stay with me as will Shozy BK and QFred. I might check Liebesleid out but I am pretty much content now when it comes to TOTL earbuds. Might check out some budget stuff like EMX500...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back