Earbuds Round-Up
May 24, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #20,326 of 75,318
Wow! A lot has happened here in the last week. I miss the feature from the old design of Head fi where you could see how many new posts there was in a thread you were following.
I figured no one was posting because of the new design of the forum but it has been quite busy here.

No new earbuds for me since I got Shozy Stardust. Really love them. My current top 5 would probably be:
1. CAX Black
2. Diomnes Lv2
3. CampFred
4. Stardust
5. Blox TM7

Still, the two I keep coming back to are CampFred and Stardust. CF is more laid back and has got amazing sub bass for an earbud and Stardust has got a deep soundstage with excellent instrument separation. I might go for Vido and those DIY PK2 on Aliexpress. Other than that, I feel content with what I have. In the last 2 months I have sold off some vintage DAPs and bought one iBasso R10 (Japanese version of DX100) and also a second hand Questyle QP1R. Those two really make my earbuds sing. Anyway, not much money for earbuds right now...

Is this the Diomnes you have? https://www.tokopedia.com/abnormal-...c=shop-product_page=1_ob=11_q=_catid=565_po=4 Or are they something different?

That would about $60 right?

May 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #20,327 of 75,318
Is this the Diomnes you have? https://www.tokopedia.com/abnormal-...c=shop-product_page=1_ob=11_q=_catid=565_po=4 Or are they something different?

That would about $60 right?

There were three types of Diomnes: Standard for $70 (I think), Lv1 for $100 (I think) and Lv2 for $165. Each version used better cables. I picked Lv2 with eidolic plug (standard). That made it $180 in total excluding shipping.

When it comes to detail, instrument separation and the size of the soundstage it can compete with, and beat, just about all other TOTL earbuds I have heard. CAX Black has got a smaller soundstage, but it is much more neutral and natural sounding while Diomnes Lv2 is a bit more colored sounding (less neutral and more "fun" sounding) with a slight focus on upper mids and highs.

EDIT: I use past tense since Diomnes isn't really made any more. It uses original VE Monk drivers and since they are discontinued they can be difficult to find. If you find a pair of original Monk I would recommend to send them to ABnormal and get a Diomnes Lv2. I do not have any problem with the fact that a $180 pair of earbuds uses drivers from a $5 earbud. I used to own the original Monk and Diomnes Lv2 really is light years better.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #20,328 of 75,318
Call me Mini @Danneq
20170523_220538.jpg

May 25, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #20,332 of 75,318
NiceHCK Vido, VE Monk+ BT-Mod, TY Hi-Z HP-32 2.0, Quian25, Qian39 / Edifier H180 / Awei ES10, ... Too much earbuds because of you, guys !! :laughing:
I hesitate to buy "Faaeal" 32 or 64 Ohms, what do you thing of it (after looking to my list of earbuds) ? Thanks.

Finally, after a big session of reading in the HF treads : I bought some budget earbuds to challenge the VE Monk Plus : Rymall RY4S, Faaeal 32, Philips SHE3800, Sony MDR-E808+.
Just for few bucks, maybe 18$. Fantastic, thanks Head-Fi ! :ksc75smile:

May 25, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #20,333 of 75,318
Finally, after a big session of reading in the HF treads : I bought some budget earbuds to challenge the VE Monk Plus : Rymall RY4S, Faaeal 32, Philips SHE3800, Sony MDR-E808+.
Just for few bucks, maybe 18$. Fantastic, thanks Head-Fi ! :ksc75smile:
I would probably throw in a Vido too lol

May 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #20,334 of 75,318
May 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #20,335 of 75,318
I know we talked about storage/etc earlier on... but I came across these, which may be of use to some people...
https://www.amazon.com/DotBox-Mediu...d=1495712423&sr=1-124&keywords=bead+container

I found something similar in my house that works for my VE Zen Black...Now looking for the exact size to buy a few more.

Ahh, thank you so much for the info.....well this will make my future easier as I don't have to search for idea online and ended up getting lots of crap.....anyways thanks a lot.

May 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #20,336 of 75,318
Or perhaps "balanced Danneq"? :wink:
Yes Dadnneq haha
Actually I don't own a balanced source currently, this is for the future and I have the possibility to try balanced sources.

I had the chance to try them with some great DAPs recently.
I loved Campfred on DX200 balanced, Stardust on WM1Z balanced and Diomnes Lv2 on Hifiman 901S Minibox SE. All amazing pairing!
Since I find my current DAP+amp setup on SE still competitive, close to these big boys on balanced but of course not better, I feel relieved I don't need a new DAP yet..

May 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #20,337 of 75,318
@ClieOS Look forward to your impressions! Currently getting some eartime with Crow Audio's Raven, which I'm really liking on Shanling M1.

I like how Raven sound, but dat cable...

The use of such stiff cables past the y-splitter isn't convenient. If I move my head around, the buds easily shift out of position and I lost bass response. Foamies don't help. Might have to try hooks...

May 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #20,338 of 75,318
I swore off any more budget earbuds, yet I have four more on the way!

• 2017 New NICEHCK DIY PK2 Earbud - I had the silver cable version for a week (looks sort of like Shozy Cygnus), liked it very much, but gifted it. This time the black cable version. This is a keeper!
  • **** EPK1 - I read some good things about it. What the heck!
  • Yincrow X6 - I don't have any earbuds with emphasis on bass. The build quality appears to be good for the price. Similar sound signature to Vido, but better build quality...
  • 2017 New NICEHCK EB200 - a leap of faith since untested, not reviewed. In NICEHCK we trust? 200Ohm for that price and Jim's description...too hard to pass up.

My plan is to listen to them and sell a few on the buy sell forum. I only need so many earbuds in my stable. We'll see...

May 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #20,340 of 75,318
I like how Raven sound, but dat cable...

The use of such stiff cables past the y-splitter isn't convenient. If I move my head around, the buds easily shift out of position and I lost bass response. Foamies don't help. Might have to try hooks...
I own Raven for some time now.
I got a trick for this.
Unbraid the upper part of the cable.
When you wear them, adjust the chin adjuster one inch below your chin. It works well for me. I experienced the same thing as you at the beginning..
Also with time, the cable becomes slightly less stiff when rolling it often around your fingers for storage.

20170525_163618.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back