Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #19,157 of 75,148
So, I know there's love for the Yinman 500 & 150, but I never seem to see talk of the 600.  I know @vapman for one would prefer not to use the 600 due to MMCX.  Is that the main drawback for others, or is it an issue of ease of powering, cost, or just lack of talk about it that's keeping people from giving it a try?  For the $120 it'll be going for during the sale, I'm more than willing to give it a try, but just curious if there's a reason to avoid it.

Then again, I don't see it outperforming the CampFred, but it's a brand I have yet to try, and the MMCX is a big part of the reason I'd like to pick it up assuming the sound is worthwhile.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #19,159 of 75,148
What's​ so bad about mmcx?

It's entirely a preference thing.  It allows you to easily replace a cable if the cable breaks, but the connector itself can be more prone to breaking than a fixed cable depending on luck, QC, rate of swapping cables, and other factors.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #19,161 of 75,148

Hate it when this happens. You can't let 2 buds alone for long before they mingle all up
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #19,162 of 75,148
What's​ so bad about mmcx?

Since connectors rotate freely and and also retained with a button type of "snap-in" (also what looks like less contact surface but I'm not sure) there's a lot of opportunity for movement/mechanical stress. Also more difficult to clean if they become tarnished/oxidized. I've gone through three MMCX cable connectors in the past year and a half? Luckily it was all failure on the cable side not the socket side.

Not that 2-pin is perfect either... possible to accidentally reverse polarity unlike mmcx, the pin sockets also wear out, sometimes a pin will get stuck in the socket, and if the socket isn't recessed there is almost no strain relief for the pins themselves (which seems like less of a problem on MMCX thanks to coaxial shape).

Agree that it's more of a preference/usage thing. Personally If there is a removable cable I like for it to have some kind of extra retention like threaded MMCX q-Jays have or externally attached collar like the old Sony EX, JH Audio or Fiue Sirius... haven't seen any earbuds with those though.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #19,163 of 75,148

Take a good look at this photo.

That is the **** PT15 shell with the driver ripped out , next to a crappy cable I ripped off a $5 IEM i am fixing for a friend (putting it on a BT aptX wire for him)

Even if MMCX didn't seal off a part of the shell that's typically left open...... even if the PT15's shell wasn't the worst designed earbud shell in the last few decades... look at those garbage wires coming off the MMCX pins. And the pins are equally as thin.

Would you really knowingly spend $$$$ on a nice MMCX cable knowing it's all for nothing since the last inch or so of conductivity is still going thru literal garbage.

Even someone who knows nothing about audio science can plainly see how thin the MMCX wires are compared to even a CHEAPO cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back