Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
May 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,156 of 1,242
Quote:

I haven't listened to X10 for quite sometime now. But if my memory serves me right, you can skip the X10 all together and go for R50 instead. You won't find as much bass on R-50, but it will offer much better clarity and detail. There are definitely better sounding IEM than MH1, but the question is how much you are prepared to spend.

Going from the MH1C to the R50 would be a big shock in terms of sound signature. So much so that I bet he wouldn't like the R50s because they will sound thin in comparison. I haven't heard a ton of IEMs, but for me personally, the Yamaha EPH100 was the first true sound upgrade to the MH1C that retains a similar, more musical signature, even though i love the R-50s. Clie, have you tried the TDK BA200s? According to others, they seem like a good option for those that are looking for more hi-fi sound yet better bass response/warmer tone than say the R-50s.

May 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,157 of 1,242
Quote:

I haven't listened to X10 for quite sometime now. But if my memory serves me right, you can skip the X10 all together and go for R50 instead. You won't find as much bass on R-50, but it will offer much better clarity and detail. There are definitely better sounding IEM than MH1, but the question is how much you are prepared to spend.

I really don't want any lesser bass than the MH1C. What else would you suggest I go for? I really like the rumble on the MH1C. Max I can spend is up to $100-$120. Would that give me a good enough bump in the SQ as well as the comfort?

May 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,158 of 1,242
Quote:
Going from the MH1C to the R50 would be a big shock in terms of sound signature. So much so that I bet he wouldn't like the R50s because they will sound thin in comparison. I haven't heard a ton of IEMs, but for me personally, the Yamaha EPH100 was the first true sound upgrade to the MH1C that retains a similar, more musical signature, even though i love the R-50s. Clie, have you tried the TDK BA200s? According to others, they seem like a good option for those that are looking for more hi-fi sound yet better bass response/warmer tone than say the R-50s.

EPH100 actually sounds more or less on the same level as MH1, but more fun and colored (in a good way if you enjoy that kind of sound signature). I have BA200 (*reviewed as well). It will be a good upgrade over MH1 (*sound signature and SQ wise) but it will be over his budget just a bit. I'll definitely recommend BA200 is a warm and smooth sound is what you are looking for.

Quote:

I really don't want any lesser bass than the MH1C. What else would you suggest I go for? I really like the rumble on the MH1C. Max I can spend is up to $100-$120. Would that give me a good enough bump in the SQ as well as the comfort?

That's the problem. dollar to dollar, MH1 is easily one of the best value you can get. You can always save up a bit more to $150 and get a BA200 instead. A cheaper way will be to mod the cable on MH1, if you know how to solder.

May 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,160 of 1,242
Quote:

EPH100 actually sounds more or less on the same level as MH1, but more fun and colored (in a good way if you enjoy that kind of sound signature). I have BA200 (*reviewed as well). It will be a good upgrade over MH1 (*sound signature and SQ wise) but it will be over his budget just a bit. I'll definitely recommend BA200 is a warm and smooth sound is what you are looking for.

That's the problem. dollar to dollar, MH1 is easily one of the best value you can get. You can always save up a bit more to $150 and get a BA200 instead. A cheaper way will be to mod the cable on MH1, if you know how to solder.

Yeah I don't agree that the EPH100 and the Sony sounding the same :wink: The EPH has much better midrange, brighter highs, instrument separation with a bit of 3D presence and the bass doesn't bleed all over the place. There is a great black-space between instruments and vocals on the EPH that just doesn't show up audibly on the Sonys. The sonys sound more like a wall of sound to me, though I do agree they offer the best value of any IEM.

May 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,161 of 1,242
Quote:
i cannot believe, that the dual ba tdk will have the same amount of rumble, as the mh1

MH1 still has more quantity in the sub-bass region, but that's not to say BA200 doesn't have a really good bass response either. Overall, BA200 does sound more balanced when compared to MH1.

Quote:

Yeah I don't agree that the EPH100 and the Sony sounding the same :wink: The EPH has much better midrange, brighter highs, instrument separation with a bit of 3D presence and the bass doesn't bleed all over the place. There is a great black-space between instruments and vocals on the EPH that just doesn't show up audibly on the Sonys. The sonys sound more like a wall of sound to me, though I do agree they offer the best value of any IEM.

No, I am not saying the 'sounding the same' - I am saying they are on the 'same level', more or less. The problem of EPH100 is it is very far from being accurate in anyway. So even it is a fun IEM to listen to, it doesn't have the necessary technical aspects to be considered a much better sounding IEM in my book.

May 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,162 of 1,242

+1

The EPH100 are amazing value!

May 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,163 of 1,242
Quote:

MH1 still has more quantity in the sub-bass region, but that's not to say BA200 doesn't have a really good bass response either. Overall, BA200 does sound more balanced when compared to MH1.

No, I am not saying the 'sounding the same' - I am saying they are on the 'same level', more or less. The problem of EPH100 is it is very far from being accurate in anyway. So even it is a fun IEM to listen to, it doesn't have the necessary technical aspects to be considered a much better sounding IEM in my book.

Gotcha... yeah they definitely aren't as accurate as my R-50s, but I love em just as much for being fun.

May 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,164 of 1,242
I'm a purist at heart; I want to hear what the sound mixer intended for me to hear.  According to the first page categorizations, which type of IEM am I looking for?

May 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,165 of 1,242
Quote:
I'm a purist at heart; I want to hear what the sound mixer intended for me to hear.  According to the first page categorizations, which type of IEM am I looking for?

Neutral and analytical. If you are a purist, a properly driven ER4S will be among the top choice. A balanced driven RE272 will be just as good, if not better, but it has been discontinued.

May 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,166 of 1,242
there are still some new ones for sale ,at amazon.com and at only 199$+free shipping (used to be 260$ with shipping in)

great price , imho.

Quote:

Neutral and analytical. If you are a purist, a properly driven ER4S will be among the top choice. A balanced driven RE272 will be just as good, if not better, but it has been discontinued.

May 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,168 of 1,242
Quote:
Clie, have you heard the new fxz100/200? How's the bass and overall sq compared to other bass iem's in its price range

Not yet, but I have ordered a pair of FXZ200 from Japan just a few days ago and it should be here by next week, hopefully.

May 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #1,169 of 1,242
Clie, looking forward to your review of eph-100s! I absolutely love mine. I actually listen to them more than my W4s. I wish W4s had better sub-bass and better treble extension up top. What do you think is an upgrade from eph-100 while retaining similar fun signature? 

May 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #1,170 of 1,242
Quote:
Clie, looking forward to your review of eph-100s! I absolutely love mine. I actually listen to them more than my W4s. I wish W4s had better sub-bass and better treble extension up top. What do you think is an upgrade from eph-100 while retaining similar fun signature? 

EPH-10 has a fairly V-shaped sound. I think if you like EPH-100, then T-PEOS H-100 is a viable choice. However, going from EPH-100 will give you a more accurate / flatter sound, so it is unnecessarily an 'upgrade' over EPH-100 fun factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back