Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Dec 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #376 of 1,242

Quote:
Can't give you an exact time as I need to do a lot of traveling lately which doesn't leave me with a lot of time for writing review (will be oversea tomorrow, actually). But as far as sound signature goes, it is a mid-centric IEM. As far as value goes, it is one of the best in the sub$50 category (hint, hint).

a SD?? 
popcorn.gif

btw. i'm interested in a budget back-up iem. the paradigm v2 seemed good, but cant be found anywhere... any suggestions with decent isolation and not big housing?

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #377 of 1,242
There really isn't any IEM with good isolation on that price range. You can look into MEElec or the new VSONIC GR02

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #378 of 1,242
Hi ClieOS,

As you can see in my sig, I have the Klipsch Image S4 and the RE-262 IEMs. The HifiMan, while having a very good sound quality, is not to my liking. I prefer the sound signature of my S4 IEMs. The RE-262s seem a little muffled and claustrophobic to me, maybe due to the treble roll off. Is this something that will change after burn in? I have about 10-20 hours on them right now..

So, if I want to have a fuller sound, more energetic with a little more weight to it, than the RE-262 can give, perhaps a little less recessed mids than the S4 has, and a little less treble roll off than the RE 262 - what should I look at?

Price range could be somewhere around the RE-262, as I'm maybe planning on trading these instead of buying new.

Seems like the triple.fi 10's are very much liked here, but seeing as I probably have smaller ears I am a little put off by it's size.
Seems like the Klipsch X10 could fit my bill, no?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #380 of 1,242
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #381 of 1,242
@ Coq de Combat

X10 is a mid centric IEM. It is more energitc than RE262, but I doubt you will like it consider you are looking for a balanced sound. Just look at the different IEM in the balanced category for now. If that is what yiu like, TF10 is hard to beat at current price.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #382 of 1,242
@ Coq de Combat
X10 is a mid centric IEM. It is more energitc than RE262, but I doubt you will like it consider you are looking for a balanced sound. Just look at the different IEM in the balanced category for now. If that is what yiu like, TF10 is hard to beat at current price.

Thank you sir. I'm still a little hesitant due to their size. I think my RE262 really has the perfect size for me. I have rather small ears. How much bigger are they in comparison to the RE262s?

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #383 of 1,242
ClieOS, what about the westone 3? They feel like they should be up my alley. I don't know, I'm being very put off by the complaints about fit in the TF10.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #384 of 1,242

Quote:
@ Coq de Combat

If only we could get TF10 at a decent price in Europe 

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #386 of 1,242

Quote:

If only we could get TF10 at a decent price in Europe 

I usually buy from amazon.co.uk and even though they are more expensive than in the states, they're very cheap compared to Sweden. To us swedes, the UK prices are pretty decent, LOL.

A couple of examples:

Ultimate ears triple.fi 10 in Sweden: 2399 kr ($337)
Denon D2000 in Sweden: 2998 kr ($417)
Shure SE535 in Sweden: 3832 kr ($533)
Beats by Dre Detox in Sweden: 4590 kr ($639)
Ultrasone ed 10 in Sweden: 18990 kr ($2642)

There's only one word: ridiculous.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #387 of 1,242
clieos
from all the iems you've heard, which one(s) reminds you more of  the yuin pk1 ? 

Probably Ortofon e-Q5. Compared to PK1, e-Q5 is slightly more forward. Otherwise, they are quite similar.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #388 of 1,242
ClieOS, what about the westone 3? They feel like they should be up my alley. I don't know, I'm being very put off by the complaints about fit in the TF10.

Somehow I miss this post on my last read -

Yes, W3 does have a balanced, V-shaped sound. But to me it is quite sibilant, boomy and lacks refinement. Personally I don't like it, and find ti even worst than Westone own UM2. I'll rather pick W2 over W3.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #390 of 1,242

Quote:
Somehow I miss this post on my last read -
Yes, W3 does have a balanced, V-shaped sound. But to me it is quite sibilant, boomy and lacks refinement. Personally I don't like it, and find ti even worst than Westone own UM2. I'll rather pick W2 over W3.

Then maybe the TF10 are the only ones for me to try in that case.

I think my ear canals and ears are rather small, but to put things into perspective - I use the smallest tips of both S4 and RE-262 (but the smallest bi-flange suits me good too). The size of the RE-262's are quite perfect for me. Do you think I will have issues with the Triple.fi 10? Do you have any smaller suggestions in terms of size? Buying from europe makes them pretty pricey, and importing from outside europe adds extra taxes and whatnot, making american and japanese webshops a bit pricey as well.

Regarding the RE-262: these are really starting to grow on me, to be honest. I think I'm slowly getting past the burn-in here, as treble is opening up more and more - but I do find the bass a bit lacking. Furthermore, I like the V-shaped sound too, so the ones I'd choose would not be to replace the RE-262, but more to complement them. So think more in terms of: what are the RE-262 NOT, and let's go from there.

Listening to the S4 just don't cut it anymore - going from the RE-262's and my other phones to the S4 just makes them feel empty, hollow, boomy, non-quality and lower-end - in short, I don't enjoy them anymore.

Price is not so important, I can probably stretch my budget to somewhere around $3-400 - so, custom IEMs are out of price range, but "higher end" universals are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back