Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Dec 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #406 of 1,242

Quote:
This is kind of typical for the low quality internal sound card used by PC manufacturer as they all tend to roll off at both ends. Amp alone won't fix the problem so you will need a DAC as well. The simplest thing to do is to get a DAC+amp. E7 is okay, but if you have not intention to use it as portable, E10 will be a better choice. If you are willing to spend more (>$100), iBasso D-zero is a decent choice as well.

Thanks again ClieOS! Well there's a big difference in pricing between the E7 and E10 so I'll for the E7 as I found one for £35 on the Classifieds. I just want a slightly better signal, money's really tight at the moment so I don't want to spend more on it as I don't use IEMs at home much, mostly use my speakers.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #407 of 1,242
I own both the E7 and E10, and if you don't need a portable amp, if I were you I'd go for the E10. Even if it's more expensive than the E7, the E10 is far superior, both as a DAC and as an amp... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Thanks again ClieOS! Well there's a big difference in pricing between the E7 and E10 so I'll for the E7 as I found one for £35 on the Classifieds. I just want a slightly better signal, money's really tight at the moment so I don't want to spend more on it as I don't use IEMs at home much, mostly use my speakers.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #409 of 1,242
Thank you Clio for this VERY helpful thread, which is I think complementing very well ljokerl's one.
It seems that you're reviewing Brainwavz M4 & JVC FXT90.
How would you rank them vs. XCited/Xcape IE?
What about their sound signature? M4 Balanced & FXT90 WS?

M4 will probably be ranked lower than Xcited / Xcape-IE, FXT90 will likely be around or better. I haven't made my final decision yet.

Sound signature wise, M4 is balanced while FXT90 is mid centric.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #411 of 1,242
ah ...and last question, any idea when your ongoing reviews will be finished?

Sorry about all the delay. I am behind on a lot of them due to some family emergency back in early November. I am sorting things out and will try to finish them up as soon as possible. Hopefully by mid January I'll be able to clean out the stack.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #415 of 1,242
Dec 23, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #417 of 1,242
ClieOS, do you know which sound signature type the Xears XE200Pro has? I own them and like them quite a bit; wanted to jot down what it is :bigsmile_face:

No idea. I have not listened to any of the new Xears.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #418 of 1,242
HifiMan RE-272 added.

RE272.jpg

Analytical-01.    HifiMan RE272 (link)
Paired with the right balanced source / amp (or similar setup), RE272 sounds effortless with an impressive dynamic. It is analytical but not excessively bright, extremely refined and well layered, warm yet remains mostly neutral, extends from one end of the frequency to another end without sounding lacking or overly done in any particular area with deep textured bass and sparkly treble , and has an impressive soundstage that isn't common to the analytical sound signature. It is as close to a perfect equilibrium as I can imagine, if there is such a thing in the IEM world.
Pro: Technically almost flawless as an analytical IEM. Can be driven single-ended or balanced.
Con: Only sounds greatest in the right setup, which can cost much more than the IEM itself.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #420 of 1,242

Quote:
what a surprise Clieos! 

but a bit sad to hear about the Cons of the re272 
frown.gif

has it become one of your favorities iems?

Yep, it is definitely one of my favorites. The whole of buying the iBasso T5 is actually to find an ultra-portable solution than can drive RE272 to a good level so I don't have to lump the StepDance with RE272 all the time. It turns out to be a good investment at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back