Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Nov 23, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #347 of 1,242
Hey ClieOS,

How would you compare the GR07 to the RE0 in terms of clarity? I see that you've classified RE0 as analytical (as it should be) whilst the GR07 is warm sweet, how "much" warmer is the GR07? And also, how is the isolation with the GR07?

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #348 of 1,242
really? but didnt you rated the Eterna higher on 'the list'?

As I have mentioned in Eterna's review, it is not rated highly because of its technical ability, but the engaging, fun sound signature that draws the listener to the music.

What are some other high end IEMs with a 'balanced' sound sig like the TF10s? Anything that would be a noticeable/refined improvement?

The two other balanced sounding IEM that are not in the list but still close to TF10 level of SQ are Westone 3 and Atomic Floyd SuperDart. However, they are not what I consider to be significant upgrade / improvement over TF10, more like sidestepping.

Talking of TF10, Logitech actually released the new TF15vm in China 2 days ago. I am not sure if it is an actual update of TF10 or just renaming.

Hey ClieOS,

How would you compare the GR07 to the RE0 in terms of clarity? I see that you've classified RE0 as analytical (as it should be) whilst the GR07 is warm sweet, how "much" warmer is the GR07? And also, how is the isolation with the GR07?

Actually RE0 is a bit warm too. I would say GR07 is about the same level of warmness as RE0, but with much better bass extension while RE0 has much better treble extension.

If you use decent foam tips (i.e. JAYS foam), about average (-20dB or so). If you use stock silicone eartips, slightly below average.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #349 of 1,242

Quote:
Actually RE0 is a bit warm too. I would say GR07 is about the same level of warmness as RE0, but with much better bass extension while RE0 has much better treble extension.
If you use decent foam tips (i.e. JAYS foam), about average (-20dB or so). If you use stock silicone eartips, slightly below average.

I love the look of the build quality of the GR07 though and the cable looks pretty good. However, as you may recall, isolation is the most important to me and if it's only going to be about -20db (which I assume to be similar to the Phonak PFE 112s) then it's going to be much lower than the Shure SE215 sort of levels of isolation.

Since I last posted here I've gotten the Phonak PFE 112s and Shure SE215s and whilst I like the single BA driver analytical sound of the Phonaks, I feel they're quite similar to the RE0 without really any upgrades in either SQ or isolation. The Shure SE215s, I feel, are a downgrade in SQ but an upgrade in isolation but I don't really like the sound signature at all, it feels a bit too laid back to me.

I really want to try the GR07 but the isolation doesn't seem to be able to exceed the RE0 at all. I do like the idea of sacrificing a bit of RE0's treble extension for some bass extension whilst maintaining clarity and detail. I guess I'll have to skip the GR07 then :frowning2:

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #351 of 1,242

Quote:
Have you used the PFE with foam tips?

Yep, unfortunately it doesn't match the RE0 with the shallow triple flanges and is nowhere near as isolating as the Shure SE215s.

I'd rate the Shure SE215s with the provided Shure Olive Foam tips 10/10, RE0 with shallow triple flanges 7/10 and PFE with foam tips about 6/10, for isolation.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #352 of 1,242
Interesting as PFE with Comply foam is much more isolating than RE0 with big bi-flanges for me. Though I have no idea which tri-flanges you are referring to.as I have never seen a shallow tri-flanges before.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #353 of 1,242

Quote:
Interesting as PFE with Comply foam is much more isolating than RE0 with big bi-flanges for me. Though I have no idea which tri-flanges you are referring to.as I have never seen a shallow tri-flanges before.

If you mean the big bi-flanges as in the HiFiman white ones then yeah, I agree they're terrible, much worser than any foam tips available. The shallow tri-flanges are the ones in my profile pic, not sure if it's clear enough. I say they're shallow as they're not like the regular Etymotic ones which really extend into your ear canal, they're triple flange sleeves which have the same radius/diameter on each flange and it's about the same height/length as a regular bi-flange so I say they're quite shallow. I grabbed them off the Xears Xi200PRO (They also come with the XSR330PRO, I presume they come with the october releases of Xears, never came with the XE200PRO or XGF500PRO).

This might be slightly better to see:

It might say something about my canal shape/size. They don't work for all IEMs though but they work great for the Xears XE200PRO too. On the JVC FX1X they're not as good as foam though, I guess these work for straight barrelled IEMs.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #354 of 1,242
Yep, I don't have those shallow tri-flanges so I really don't know how good they are.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #356 of 1,242
ClieOS!

How do/can you stop yourself from impulse buys? Or is your thread the result of it? Haha. I currently see some Vsonic R04 Pros for £38 delivered which is really tempting, I know the GR07 will be tons better but I'm not really into spending £100 for something that I know won't isolate well but say for example the Vsonics R04 Pros isolate well, then I could perhaps sell them and go for the GR07? Ah I don't even know what I am talking about, with that theory I should just get the GR07s right?

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #357 of 1,242
ClieOS,

About the Shure SE215, do you believe the process of break-in can improve graininess that there is on the upper vocal?

It will smooth out a little after burn-in, but unfortunately it will never go away fully.

ClieOS!

How do/can you stop yourself from impulse buys? Or is your thread the result of it? Haha. I currently see some Vsonic R04 Pros for £38 delivered which is really tempting, I know the GR07 will be tons better but I'm not really into spending £100 for something that I know won't isolate well but say for example the Vsonics R04 Pros isolate well, then I could perhaps sell them and go for the GR07? Ah I don't even know what I am talking about, with that theory I should just get the GR07s right?

Easy, I stop checking my own sanity a long time ago :D. Ha, actually the good thing about living in my part of the world is that I get to visit Singapore a few times a year - so I take the chance to visit a few of the headphone stores over there which allows for audition before buying. In truth, most of my headphone purchase are not impulse as I do mean to build up a collection, regardless of review or now. Of course the fact that I also receive free samples from time to time for review helps to speed up the process. But my goal is really to enjoy different earphones, not to find the ultimate IEM per se.

Oh, you should get the GR06 instead if you can. I really like its presentation over GR04.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #358 of 1,242
ClieOS,

About the Shure SE215, do you believe the process of break-in can improve graininess that there is on the upper vocal?

It will smooth out a little after burn-in, but unfortunately it will never go away fully.

ClieOS!

Easy, I stop checking my own sanity a long time ago :D. Ha, actually the good thing about living in my part of the world is that I get to visit Singapore a few times a year - so I take the chance to visit a few of the headphone stores over there which allows for audition before buying. In truth, most of my headphone purchase are not impulse as I do mean to build up a collection, regardless of review or now. Of course the fact that I also receive free samples from time to time for review helps to speed up the process. But my goal is really to enjoy different earphones, not to find the ultimate IEM per se.

Oh, you should get the GR06 instead if you can. I really like its presentation over GR04.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #360 of 1,242
they're for $50
what they  sound  like?

Mid centric with pretty deep bass punch. It is more dynamic and fun to listen than GR04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back