Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Nov 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #362 of 1,242
I haven't rated it yet. I am running late on review as I was very busy over the last few weeks.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #364 of 1,242
First off I want to thank ClieOS for this very informative and interesting thread, I'm really learning a lot from it, and it's really helping with my purchasing decisions.

On to a couple questions I have...

1. Which category would the Westone UM1's fall under?

2. Which category would the JVC HA-FXT90 fall under?

3. Why are the Meelectronics M6 classified under "Balanced" and not "Bass" instead?

Keep up the great work and I look forward to more of your reviews.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #365 of 1,242
1. Which category would the Westone UM1's fall under?

Never listen to UM1 before, so I can't really give you an answer. But given I have heard both UM2 and UM3X, I'll venture a guess and say it probably is the same as the rest of the UM series in the warm and sweet category.

2. Which category would the JVC HA-FXT90 fall under?

Mid-centric.

3. Why are the Meelectronics M6 classified under "Balanced" and not "Bass" instead?

Some IEM can be classified into one of any two categories and won't be wrong. i.e. warm + sweet can be very close to a mid centric sound sometime; balanced and bassy can be very close as well. In cases like these, I'll ask myself 'what grabs my attention first?' - is it how balanced the sound is, or how bassy the sound is? As I have mentioned in the first post, this is not an absolute guide but merely make it easier for new comer to get an idea for what they are looking for.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #366 of 1,242
Many thanks ClieOS for this encompassing analysis of IEM's and all your hard work!!!

I'm curious as to where the Sennheiser IE 8 & Westone 4 sit in this ranking seeing as they're still available for purchase online.

I'm an open headphone user for decades.  For the past year or so I've been lurking here and reading up on IEMs' patiently educating myself.  I've always thought the IE8 & Westone 4 were considered top-of-the-line IEMs yet there aren't listed under "The List" dated 2/23/11.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #367 of 1,242
Many thanks ClieOS for this encompassing analysis of IEM's and all your hard work!!!

I'm curious as to where the Sennheiser IE 8 & Westone 4 sit in this ranking seeing as they're still available for purchase online.

I'm an open headphone user for decades.  For the past year or so I've been lurking here and reading up on IEMs' patiently educating myself.  I've always thought the IE8 & Westone 4 were considered top-of-the-line IEMs yet there aren't listed under "The List" dated 2/23/11.

Only IEM I own or had extensive listening to are in the list. I had briefly auditioned IE8 and W4 before - enough to know how good they sound, but not enough for a review or put them into the list. If I have to make an estimation, I'll say W4 will be in the top 5 while IE8 will be in the top 20.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #369 of 1,242

Quote:
Can't say I have listened to another pair of IEM that can be classified as a 'fun upgrade' over the original Eterna. But with your budget, there are quite a few technically superior IEM to get. I am going to recommend to you a technically much better IEM that isn't quite as fun in presentation. But it is an IEM of great sound and great price so it is something I am comfortable recommending. It is TDK current flagship, the BA200, costing around $250 or less. It is a little harder to find at the moment, but this dual driver can easily match up to Westone UM3X's performance, yet it is more lively in presentation. I am going to review it in the next month and I already make up my mind of giving it a Sonic Diamond recommendation in the top-tier category - that's how good I think it is.

TDK seems to be coming on pretty strong with their premium series of black & chrome-accented headphones/IEMs. http://www.tdk-media.jp/tjbbe01/cat002.html
Do you know if they are all pretty good for their prices?  And indication if they are rebrands, or share manufacturer with other big names?

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #370 of 1,242
TDK seems to be coming on pretty strong with their premium series of black & chrome-accented headphones/IEMs. http://www.tdk-media.jp/tjbbe01/cat002.html
Do you know if they are all pretty good for their prices?  And indication if they are rebrands, or share manufacturer with other big names?

At least for the 3 IEM (EB950, BA100 and BA200) and 1 portable (ST700) I am currently reviewing, I'll they are of really good value. I know Buy.com already has BA100 and ST700 in stock for low price (especially ST700), and I can find BA200 in Singapore for really low price as well. As for EB950, the MSRP of $99 is already a really good value. As far as bigger-bang-for-the-buck is concerned, I'll say BA200 and EB950 are both exceptional buy on the MSRP and cheaper street / online price are only going to make them better. ST700 is kind of on the warm, bassy and slightly dark'ish side, which is perfectly suitable for those who want a pair of TMA-1 but don't want to pay as much. You can find it almost $50 off in most prices which is pretty much a steal IMO. BA100 is probably the weakest when it comes to value factor, but the $110 price is still decently good for IEM of its level. Overall, I have to say the new TDK line-up is really surprisingly good.

I have not seen anyone else with the same design (except for ST700, which seems to be a common design), so my assumption is that TDK does put some work into the design and tuning, even if they are OEM'ed by others. For their first entry into higher end IEM market, TDK has already made really good headway.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #371 of 1,242
Great thread, ClieOS!

How much longer for the GR06 review, and which category do they belong? 
wink.gif

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #372 of 1,242
Great thread, ClieOS!

How much longer for the GR06 review, and which category do they belong? :wink:

Thanks.

Can't give you an exact time as I need to do a lot of traveling lately which doesn't leave me with a lot of time for writing review (will be oversea tomorrow, actually). But as far as sound signature goes, it is a mid-centric IEM. As far as value goes, it is one of the best in the sub$50 category (hint, hint).

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #374 of 1,242
Hi ClieOS, What are the differences btw the Shure SE535 and JVC FXT90 as the are both in the mid centric category.

I don't have the SE535, only the SE530 (and they don't sound the same). SE535 sounds more detail and balanced than SE530, but it is still a mid centric IEM. Going by my memory of SE535, I will say SE535 is probably technically more accurate while FXT90 is more colored and fun.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #375 of 1,242
Ok, thanks! I'll be eagerly wating for your GR06 and FXT90 reviews... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Can't give you an exact time as I need to do a lot of traveling lately which doesn't leave me with a lot of time for writing review (will be oversea tomorrow, actually). But as far as sound signature goes, it is a mid-centric IEM. As far as value goes, it is one of the best in the sub$50 category (hint, hint).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back