15 Closed Headphones, 2 Canalphones and a Discussion on Frequency Graphs & Reviews
Oct 3, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #63 of 174
Excellent and very thorough, with great references also. Just finished a quick one pass read, but I'm sure I'll go back to this document, so saved it in my harddrive . Thanks for sharing and for all the effort!

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #64 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
thx reading that was very enjoyable. please also do a guide to open headphones and speakers as well.

haha, doing a comparison of ten sets of speakers! now that would be expensive.

Oct 19, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #65 of 174
I finally got to finish the updates I've been trying to include. The file size is now bigger because of new pictures but I also uploaded a dial-up friendly version without any fancy pictures. In case you were wondering, the thread and review title have been changed. (Thanks Wayne.)

The updates:

1. Addition of 2 new headphones
-2.2 Sennheiser HD 201 review and pictures added
-2.2 Beyerdynamic DT 831 review and pictures added
-2.3 Sennheiser HD 201 in-detail review added
-2.3 Beyerdynamic DT 831 in-detail review added
-2.4 Diagrams and tables revised
-3.3 Ipod volume readings for HD 201 and DT 831 added

I think the DT 831 is underrated at Head-Fi, really nice headphone. The HD 201 did not [edit:]quite live up to my expectations.

2. Change of direction in the non-review parts
- Review title and Chapter 4 title revised
-1.2 ‘Personal Remarks’ section revised
-4.2 ‘Conclusion’ section edited
-4.3 ‘Conclusion’ revised

I never grew comfortable with the overall feeling of the non-review parts because the basic message to "trust your own ears", albeit the best solution, just seemed to idealistic as most people are not able to audition.

3. Misc
-2.4 ‘Recommended Applications (Gaming, Movies, DJ, Mixing, Portable, Semi-Portable, Home)’ section added
-2.4 ‘Concluding Thoughts’ section added
-3.4 ‘Serial Impedance Adapters’ section added

Added lots of text in the conclusion part of the actual review.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #66 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
The HD 201 did not live up to my expectations.

What expectations did you have for a $20 headphone?

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #67 of 174
Man that's insane.
eek.gif

Very good and informative review!

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #69 of 174
A monumental work, literaly a doctoral thesis on headphones, I'd suggest adding HPD (DR of Headphoneolgy) to your sig.

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #70 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
What expectations did you have for a $20 headphone?

I should have said they didn't quite meet my expectations. I wasn't let down in terms of overall sound but the relatively high inefficiency, not so great isolation and lack of bass simply doesn't make it a great portable headphone, which I was hoping it to be. And it's not quite comfortable enough for it to be a home headphone either, so more of a jack of all trades. I still think it's excellent value and unbeat for the price asked though and also wrote that in the review.

About the initial bump by myself, not the best etiquette, but I thought the addition of 2 headphones might have been good reason.

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #72 of 174
I see, well that makes sense. Again, great job on this review... its a monster!
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #74 of 174
I think you ought to add a review for the Shure E4, since it's more representative of IEMs than Shure E3, which has rolled off treble and bass and not in the same league as the E4's. Also adding the UE-10's would be nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back