Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #5,041 of 5,854
I have this thread bookmarked. One of my go to places on next headphone purchases.

Quick que: A lot of reviews were on the HD 700 when the price point was $750-$1000

What would your rating on it be if it were $450-$550? How does the grade change?

I guess this question would apply to a lot of headphones. How would their rating change if the price were to drop 30%-50%. Thanks!

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #5,042 of 5,854
Cyber, the HD700 is a headphone that people give different reviews everywhere.
I strongly suggest you give it a good long listen (not just a short 2 hour test). 
Personally I liked them almost in every aspect, but I had to let them go due to the treble peaks (in gaming it can sometimes kill your ears, very risky).

Please note that many people like me like the HD700 a lot, even sometimes more than the HD800, but its very subjective.
I think dave nails it in one aspect: The treble sounds unnatural. Its not something you will figure out in a couple of hours of auditioning, but the longer you listen, the more something wont fit (just like for me the HE-400).

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5,043 of 5,854
  Cyber, the HD700 is a headphone that people give different reviews everywhere.
I strongly suggest you give it a good long listen (not just a short 2 hour test). 
Personally I liked them almost in every aspect, but I had to let them go due to the treble peaks (in gaming it can sometimes kill your ears, very risky).

Please note that many people like me like the HD700 a lot, even sometimes more than the HD800, but its very subjective.
I think dave nails it in one aspect: The treble sounds unnatural. Its not something you will figure out in a couple of hours of auditioning, but the longer you listen, the more something wont fit (just like for me the HE-400).

You're absolutely right. And to quote myself from another post

They're different headphones than the HD 650. Honestly after reading and hearing about how the HD 700 stacks between HD 800 and the HD 650 is both true and false. As people suggest, buy them from an authorized dealer with a good return policy. This is one of those headphones that best be demoed. It's polarizing and only you can judge for yourself whether you'll like them. My expectations were this would be a natural upgrade to the  HD 650 but I feel like it's not. There are areas where it excels (sound stage, imaging) and then areas that catch you off guard (and not always in a good way - sibilant, bright). I can deal with treble peaks and a bright headphone, but every time a singer pronounces a word with 'S' in it and it comes off a little lispy just drives me insane. #FirstWorldProblem

True, I haven't spent enough time with them to adjust to them but looking to spend 15-20 more hours with them over the next 2 weeks and test them out thoroughly and  let my ears adjust. Then go back and forth between HD 650 and this.

If I decide to keep them it's because of all their strengths and for genres where the weaknesses are apparent, I'll switch to the Shure SRH1540...and also in case I decide not to keep them I can hopefully recover my cost on them. May be sell it to another Head-Fi'er at cost of what I paid.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,044 of 5,854
The HD700 are a special case. With the price drops the value would go up for sure.  And if someone finds the HD600 too dark/mellow, then the HD700 is the better choice, but when it was released I didn't see it as an incremental improvement on the HD600/650.  I felt overall it was inferior although some people will certainly like it more. But then I felt the HD800 was vastly superior in every way so it was a tough sell for me, especially at the original pricepoint.I think they are nicer looking than the HD600/650, and in certain respects more representative of a studio sound, but not transparent.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #5,045 of 5,854
I still cant get over the picture in the preamble of the thread...
Im sure if I opened that, and saw all that gear, my face would be equal to a 5 year old when he first goes into a candy/toy store.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #5,046 of 5,854
It can't be said enough about how awesome, detailed and informative this review is. Always been one of my favorites to check out that is for sure. I have a fairly large collection myself, but your collection is truly amazing and always blows me away. Crazy how many other cans have come out since the last update (TH500RP, HE400i, HE560, HE1000, Alpha Prime, FAD PH6, Perfect Sound Dido, ZMF Vibro/Blackwood, Edition 5, Abyss, Kingsound, PM-1-2-3, EL-8, LCDX, LCDXC, K812, MDR Z7, Layla, Roxanne, FX850 just to name a few, also forgetting 99% of the high end iems that came out)

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #5,047 of 5,854
  It can't be said enough about how awesome, detailed and informative this review is. Always been one of my favorites to check out that is for sure. I have a fairly large collection myself, but your collection is truly amazing and always blows me away. Crazy how many other cans have come out since the last update (TH500RP, HE400i, HE560, HE1000, Alpha Prime, FAD PH6, Perfect Sound Dido, ZMF Vibro/Blackwood, Edition 5, Abyss, Kingsound, PM-1-2-3, EL-8, LCDX, LCDXC, K812, MDR Z7, Layla, Roxanne, FX850 just to name a few, also forgetting 99% of the high end iems that came out)

And their prices are also crazy :D.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,048 of 5,854
  The HD700 are a special case. With the price drops the value would go up for sure.  And if someone finds the HD600 too dark/mellow, then the HD700 is the better choice, but when it was released I didn't see it as an incremental improvement on the HD600/650.  I felt overall it was inferior although some people will certainly like it more. But then I felt the HD800 was vastly superior in every way so it was a tough sell for me, especially at the original pricepoint.I think they are nicer looking than the HD600/650, and in certain respects more representative of a studio sound, but not transparent.

You are truly a legend for undertaking such a mammoth of reviewing and comparing all these TOTL gears. I doubt this feet will be superseded anytime soon. Leave the big budget aside, it just boggles my mind the amount of time it will take just to acquire all the rare headphones. Examples R10 (both version, hard enough to source just one let alone both), stax omega, jade, K1000 (both) and the almighty orpheus.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,049 of 5,854
Not to take away from the core of the post (the headphones), but would you be able to talk more about the Diamond DAC in more detail? I have heard some people say that some of the MSB Dac's favor a warmer, more analogue sound than one that is "neutral" and I am just thinking it would have a trickle-down effect to some of the amps/headphones. They are also kind of unknown to a lot of people, due to their pricing and general low-profile.

I generally agree with your philosophy (one reliable source, multiple headphones/amps), but I have found myself intentionally trying some of the older "ladder" DAC's (vs the newer delta sigma ones) as they tend to favor a more full-bodied sound at the expense of some detail.

On another note, this post led me to the same Monster Power Conditioner and I noticed a substantial improvement to my setups (much lowered noise floor, much more hifi-sounding). I didn't really know or care about power conditioners, so I just picked the same one. Very happy with the results.

Last thing: At the current exchange rates, the SR-009 is around $3000. What value rating would you consider that? And any thoughts on the Aristeus/SR-009 pairing?

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #5,050 of 5,854
  You are truly a legend for undertaking such a mammoth of reviewing and comparing all these TOTL gears. I doubt this feet will be superseded anytime soon. Leave the big budget aside, it just boggles my mind the amount of time it will take just to acquire all the rare headphones. Examples R10 (both version, hard enough to source just one let alone both), stax omega, jade, K1000 (both) and the almighty orpheus.

Thanks for the comments.  One of the reasons I've left the review process is the amount of time it took really took a lot out of me. I'm glad it was well received :)

I still do plan on reviewing a few custom IEMs soon, but it won't be included here.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,051 of 5,854
I kind of hope it'd be the Kaiser 10. That one is very well received and insanely nice looking with the gold and amber look IMO

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,052 of 5,854
  Not to take away from the core of the post (the headphones), but would you be able to talk more about the Diamond DAC in more detail? I have heard some people say that some of the MSB Dac's favor a warmer, more analogue sound than one that is "neutral" and I am just thinking it would have a trickle-down effect to some of the amps/headphones. They are also kind of unknown to a lot of people, due to their pricing and general low-profile.

I generally agree with your philosophy (one reliable source, multiple headphones/amps), but I have found myself intentionally trying some of the older "ladder" DAC's (vs the newer delta sigma ones) as they tend to favor a more full-bodied sound at the expense of some detail.

On another note, this post led me to the same Monster Power Conditioner and I noticed a substantial improvement to my setups (much lowered noise floor, much more hifi-sounding). I didn't really know or care about power conditioners, so I just picked the same one. Very happy with the results.

Last thing: At the current exchange rates, the SR-009 is around $3000. What value rating would you consider that? And any thoughts on the Aristeus/SR-009 pairing?

I didn't feel the MSB signature is particular warm, but it's not clinical either.  I've never had the luxury of A/Bing 20 DACs at once.  I doubt anyone has.I chose MSB because I really loved the Platinum DAC III that I used to own.  Also, as David Chesky uses the same DAC as me (or did at the time of the review process) I felt it's reputation within headphone-land was sound. 

The SR-009 at $3000 is excellent.  It doesn't sell for that new as far as I'm aware so I wouldn't give it a value rating based on that.  How you power it will have a great effect on the sound also.  It's still $3000 + amp.  Still a great headphone, and yes the value would go up based on the price drop.

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,053 of 5,854
  I have this thread bookmarked. One of my go to places on next headphone purchases.

Quick que: A lot of reviews were on the HD 700 when the price point was $750-$1000

What would your rating on it be if it were $450-$550? How does the grade change?

I guess this question would apply to a lot of headphones. How would their rating change if the price were to drop 30%-50%. Thanks!

Honestly, I would just save your money longer and buy a used/sale HD800. I don't think the $500-$1000 price range is a good place to be in terms of performance. You're way above the HD6x0/DTXXX/K7XX price range, but getting very close to the HD800/LCD2/etc. range. You might as well go right for a flagship.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #5,054 of 5,854
Here is a list of many of the CDs I used in evaluating the headphones' performance...

1. APPLE, FIONA: Extraordinary Machine
  2. BEATLES: Abbey Road
  3. BUCKLEY, JEFF: Grace
  4. CLASH: London Calling
  5. DAVIS, MILES: Kind Of Blue
  6. DJ SHADOW: Entroducing....
  7. FAGEN, DONALD: The Nightfly
  8. FLEETWOOD MAC: Rumours
  9. FUNKADELIC: One Nation Under A Groove
  10. GAYE, MARVIN: What's Going On
  11. LED ZEPPELIN: Physical Graffiti
  12. LOVE: Forever Changes
  13. MASSIVE ATTACK: Blue Lines
  14. MORRISON, VAN: Astral Weeks
  15. PINK FLOYD: The Dark Side Of The Moon
  16. PINK FLOYD: Wish You Were Here
  17. PORCUPINE TREE: In Absentia
  18. ROLLING STONES: Exile On Main St
  19. ROXY MUSIC: Avalon
  20. RUSH: Permanent Waves
  21. STEELY DAN: Aja
  22. TELEVISION: Marquee Moon
  23. YOUNG, NEIL: On The Beach

great albums.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #5,055 of 5,854

I think the HD700 is a total bargain at the new pricepoint, and use it more than the HD800 and other more expensive headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back