The Ruizu X02 DAP thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #721 of 774
I'm not Leo but that's the AGPtEK A02, their 'almost the same as' version of the Ruizu X02 player. Personally I'd get the AGPtEK A20 instead if I wanted an AGPtEK player. I think it sounds better than the X02 yet still has decent battery life and more useful / convenient controls.

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #722 of 774
I'm not Leo but that's the AGPtEK A02, their 'almost the same as' version of the Ruizu X02 player. Personally I'd get the AGPtEK A20 instead if I wanted an AGPtEK player. I think it sounds better than the X02 yet still has decent battery life and more useful / convenient controls.

I just want it for audiobooks. I was wondering if they were fakes, because I need something with a good battery life. The colors look suspicious to me, I thought the Agptek came in yellow, not the green shown? This is a good price, imo, because most places that sell Agptek gouge Canadians or won't ship to them.
Thanks for the reply.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #723 of 774
The good point is that there are bookmarks, the bed point is that on my X02's I have trouble setting bookmarks on some podcast I listen to. It's a hit or miss were only about 50% of the tries I manage to set a bookmark.

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #724 of 774
The good point is that there are bookmarks, the bed point is that on my X02's I have trouble setting bookmarks on some podcast I listen to. It's a hit or miss were only about 50% of the tries I manage to set a bookmark.

I didn't know you could set bookmarks on X02s. I thought it was just "resume after where you shut it off" at.

I would like some multiple bookmark feature. Many times I listen to one audiobook and I want to switch to another w/o losing my place in the first one.

I looked at an X22 on Aliexpress. Good price, not sure of the features.

I also looked at tmall and taobao. I'm not sure if they still have two tier shipping -- shipping to warehouse then shipping to me in Canada. The prices on X20's and D01's were good, about $20 CDN. I'm not sure how many other charges are added, though. Or whether the ruizus are genuine.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #727 of 774
There are 10 bookmarks to set and they are per file (as far as I recall)
so if work correctly no problem to jump to other audio-book.

This is only a guess but over the years I've noticed that VBR mp3 files can confuse a lot of simple software about 'where it is in the timeline'.

Is it possible that it's VBR files that the X02 doesn't bookmark ?

[ VBR = Variable Bit Rate ]

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #729 of 774
Good morning, I have IQQ X02 (8GB) (clone of Ruizu X02)
I updated firmware to Agptek 02 ( I tryed all version)
After update mp3 not turn on, there is black screen, and not responding.
Computer conection is okay.

Can anybody have ROM working on IQQ X02? (or Ruizu x02)?

I remember that rom version of IQQ X02 was US2127Cv1.101, can anybody have this ROM?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #731 of 774
Good morning, I have IQQ X02 (8GB) (clone of Ruizu X02)
I updated firmware to Agptek 02 ( I tryed all version)
After update mp3 not turn on, there is black screen, and not responding.
Computer conection is okay.

Can anybody have ROM working on IQQ X02? (or Ruizu x02)?

I remember that rom version of IQQ X02 was US2127Cv1.101, can anybody have this ROM?

Why do you think the IQQ X02 is the same as the Ruizu X02 or the Agptek?
I have 3 Ruizu X02 and their menu is not the same as the iqq one (as I see on youtube)
And why did you want to change the firmware? Your IQQ had problems?

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #732 of 774
Both items had similiar look and function and audio procesor (Actions) then I think that firmware od compatible. I think that in another firmware sound is better.
I wrote to seller, and now I waiting for firmware file from seller. Seller wrote that send me after verifcation. When I got firmware I took link in this thread to this firmware for anyone who have this problem.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #733 of 774
Why do you think the IQQ X02 is the same as the Ruizu X02 or the Agptek?
I have 3 Ruizu X02 and their menu is not the same as the iqq one (as I see on youtube)…
I got my IQQ X02 because of a good Amazon deal. Something like $15.50 with 2 day prime delivery. Which was $7 or $8 less than the Ruizu X02 and it seemed like they were identical in features. I ended up using it for burning in IEMs and combine it with a $5 pair of KZ EDR2 for a $20 workout player where I don't care if it gets stolen or broken etc.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #735 of 774
Idk if anyone cares but this appears to be the best source of information on this player.

At over 730 posts, a summary appears to be in order.

Edited to add: a lot of the confusion/discussion in this thread involves things that were addressed in the documentation I got with my player. I'm not going to scan my doc, but most sections of the A02 manual v1.5 are identical. Just see my bulleted list with the image in it for some important differences. http://images.agptek.us/Download/mannual/A02 English Manual (1.5 version).pdf

Before the summary, some OC:

. . .
a) How to make my own playlists? The player sees the *.M3U files I put in, but will not find the files in the list. What is the correct syntax / what program can help me make these files? . .

The official AGPTek documentation now tells you to use Sony Media Go. And, indeed, this software allows you to transfer M3U playlists + tracks to the Ruizu X02. However, the software is outdated and annoying to use.

• The trick is that the Ruizu requires your playlist to point to files in a folder. For example, I create a M3U and place it in the Music folder.
  • MP3 files cannot be peers to the M3U, but must be nested at least one folder deeper (and the M3U must use the relative path to the music).
  • I have not experimented to see if a M3U in a subfolder can just list sibling music files.
  • As a workaround if you have no subfolders in your Music folder you can create an empty subfolder and then edit your M3U so that every path starts with subfolder\..\music_file.mp3. (Yes, I tested this and it works).
M3U playlists appear as a folder in the Playlists menu. M3U playlists are not editable from the device.

Finally, I prefer something like this to Sony Media Go: http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

. . .
Another vote for not using the other firmware.
People asking about firmware updates need to understand that the differences between the stock Ruizu firmware and the new AGPTek firmware are very minor.
  • For me, the one killer feature of the AGPTek firmware is something called "Easy Mode."
    • During music playback up and down control the volume directly.
    • To enable this mode, you can hold down the center button for a few seconds.
  • I happen to find the LCD too bright and you can't adjust it. (I'm planning to get a tinted film if I keep using it. But I know I'm not typical. My monitors at work are hard for other people to see.)
    • AGPTek offers a version of the firmware that seems to use a muted color palette - I'm not 100% clear. See the notes in their FW descriptions: https://www.agptek.com/blog/agptek-a02-firmware-upgrade/ I've only tried the 1121 FW but I did notice that album covers weren't true color, and the brightness bothered me less than the stock firmware.
  • The stock Ruizu firmware uses ID3 tag info for song title and file browsing. AGPTek firmware uses filename, which gets awkward if you aren't using folders/iTunes style library.
  • The AGPTek font is worse (because it's larger/truncated sooner). This is why I won't keep the AGPTek firmware, even though I really want the AGPTek easy mode. Here's a compare (the blurriness is my fault):
    fw_font.png

• The AGPTek firmware does a better job of surfacing A-B repeat features (called Language Learning under the music menu) but the feature is there in the Ruizu firmware (Play mode > Repeat settings).
  • The AGPTek "fixes" the rotated controls. I actually find that this feels less intuitive, mostly because the M button behavior is rotated to the forward button. This confuses my thumb, because AGPTek wants you to use the center button to enter a submenu, but my thumb wants to use forward.
  • Other minor stuff - AGPTek uses a round graphic instead of a slider to indicate volume level.
For what it's worth, I've had no problem switching between the available firmware but obviously that's no guarantee for anyone else.

Now, on to the thread recap. I was gonna do a better job on this but I'm getting older and lazier by the minute.

Basic info: see the OP.

FAQ
What's the sound profile like?
Personally, I agree with peter123:
For me it outperfom the Clip+ but I never really enjoyd the pretty dead sound (to my ears) that it puts out. IIRC Clip+ and Clip Zip should sound the same.

Edited to add: after living with the X02 for a few weeks I caved and bought a BoomCloud Boomstick for $10 and now I'm relatively happy. There's just not enough body to the default profile. In other words, I probably should have just bought a slightly better DAP to begin with. (That battery life, tho).

Review posts:
AGPTek Firmware Reviews
Are there counterfeit/fake RUIZU X02 players?

How can I tell if mine is genuine?
I concur with AlanSP. What you described definitely sounds like a fake. The original packaging and its contents should look like this: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e328/twister6/twister6007/ruizu_x0x-03_zps4cf15f7a.jpg (plus, I got white Ruizu-branded earphones, too)
Many thanks Mr. @LeoZheng.

To conclude, Ruizu/Agpteh players use ATJ2127 (MIPS) chips, devices with Rockchip nano (ARM) are fake Ruizu/Agpteh players.

What's the hole on the back?
It's microphone, don't push it with anything.

It you want to move to iconic menu, press Vol (just click, don't hold), again and again.

How are songs sorted for navigation?
Does the Ruizu X02 support FLAC?
Edited to add: per the last page of the manual (see the top of this post) the X02 has limited FLAC support. They actually recommend you convert to APE if your file is outside the supported they spec.

The thread has some debate on whether the cue file is required, but:
Back again, it is not a fake, it can play FLAC audio but these files must be accompanied by a .cue file in the same folder. I found the info in the description of another Chinese lossless audio player. The FM radio is definitively monophonic.
Does the Ruizu X02 support APE? Does the Ruizu X02 support AAC?
Edited to add: APE support is documented in the manual but they actually recommend converting/splitting. The APE section of the A02 manual is identical to the X02 documentation. http://images.agptek.us/Download/mannual/A02 English Manual (1.5 version).pdf

The device reports this:
  • File type support
    • Music
      • Mp3,
      • wma [wma9,32-48khz,5-1912kbps],
      • Audible, Flac[8-48khz, VBR, 16bits],
      • APE[8-48khz, VBR, 16bits],
      • wav[8-48khz, up to 1.44mbps]

Posters report this:
i can confirm this does not play APE (44.1k, 16bit, vbr) nor AAC but Ogg works fine

viewing pictures and amv video is noticeably blocky. not as good as my 2" rockchip player from 7+ years ago.

but overall, still highly recommended.

How many songs can the Ruizu X02 handle?
If I use internal memory and an SD card can I shuffle all my songs?
How do I shuffle songs on the SD card?
Ruizu X02 has two different databases for Shuffle and you can only choose to shuffle internal memory or external memory content.

Besides, to shuffle from external card you need before to create sd card database from:
MENU => MUSIC => CARD FOLDER => CREATE LIST OR NOT? => YES

What card capacities are supported?
Does it support Rockbox?
Does it support M3U playlists?
Does it support A-B repeat?
Oh right, I found A-B repeat, its in the menu under Play Mode > Repeat Settings > Repeat mode
I think it is not clear at all and should be renamed A-B Repeat.
It would be great to have a shortcut too. . . .

Are the Ruizku X02 and AGPTek A02 identical?

Where can I download the original firmware?

Here's a reupload to zippyshare: X02新版.f.fw. The links here still work, but require login and Chinese captcha.
Where can I download new AGPTek A02 firmware?
Where can I find documentation?
What is the recommended headphone impedence?
Leo Posts (On-Topic, IMO):
Track Ordering
Has anyone noticed background noise when listening to audio files from the SD but not the local storage?
Yeah grabbed some flac files and copied them over to both the internal storage and the card's storage and only had the hiss from the files on the card. I can hear it when at low volumes and when changing tracks.
I've heard that 'digital' noise but hadn't noticed if it was while using the card or the internal.

I assume it's a lack of screening. The B03 is much better.

Playing from Folder Browser Automatically Moves to Next Folder
How do I lock/unlock the RUIZU X02?
For the X02, it's VOL+Previous ( press the circular control at the 7 to 8 o'clock position) .
I find it's tricky. I usually have to press it a couple of times or more to get it to stay in the locked position.

MVP IMO
Hi all,

[[TL;DR: 128GB SDXC cards work well in the Ruizu X02/AGPTek A02]]

I've put a 128GB micro SDXC card into my AGPTek A02 and it is working fine with my entire music collection of ~12,000 tracks in ~1000 albums. For navigation by folder only, of course, as this is violating the 4000 track limit of the music database and, anyway, playing albums from the Music icon doesn't work as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, due to the random ordering of tracks.

I'm assuming that the Ruizu X02 will also be OK with a large card as it is the same device as the AGPTek A02 just with a different branding for the Chinese market.

In case it is useful for anyone, here are the steps I took, together with links to handy bits of software.

Step 1. Upgrade your player to v1.7 of the firmware. This is optional, but the user interface is better than some older versions. http://www.agptek.com/support/download.html. Read the supplied instructions and follow them carefully as there is always a risk of bricking your player if you mess up the firmware upgrade.

Step 2. Sort all of your music into folders on your computer's hard disk.

- I used <artist>\<album-title>\<track-number>-<track-title>, e.g. Sonic Youth\Goo\00-Dirty Boots.mp3. This means that once transferred to the player you can first scroll through artist names and then select the album. Track numbering with leading zeros is also important to ensure album tracks are played in order.

- I also decided to make some specific multi-track playlists in a new top-level folder, e.g. 00-playlists\<list-name>\<track-number>-<track-title> and just duplicated any tracks that were stored elsewhere, as there is plenty of spare room on a 128GB card.

- If you don't want to restructure the folders of your PC's music collection, copy it all to a temporary location first and then do the Tag-to-filename operation on the copy of your collection.

- I did this file sorting automatically using the Tag-to-filename facility of Mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
I used Format string "F:\\tmp-music\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title%" - but replace the "F:\\tmp-music\" at the start with the correct drive letter and folder name for your system.

Step 3. Format the SD card to FAT32 if is currently exFAT. I used fat32format, http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Step 4. Copy all of your music files to the SD card (this can take several hours, depending on the speed of your USB ports and card reader).

Step 5. Sort the contents of the SD card alphabetically. I used DriveSort: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php.

- This doesn't work with exFAT formatted cards, hence the format to FAT32 in step 3.

- Make sure you have the correct options: Long name sort, ascending order, directories before files (if you prefer this), tick the subdirectories option.

- After doing the sort, you need to save - this can take a while (several minutes), and the application looks as if it is non-responsive, but be patient - you could end up with a corrupted file table if you abort part way through.

Note, step 5 is important if you add additional music to your disk at at a later date so that the new folders are inserted in the correct alphabetical order with your original folders and not at the end of the list, which is what it will do if you don't reorder them.

So, after all of this I have a £45 DAP (£15 for the player and £30 for the SD card) that holds my complete music collection, and plays for up to 70 hours on a single charge. That's pretty good value for money!

There are some limitations:

1. You can't randomly play from your whole music collection. You can play any folder in a random order, e.g. one of your special playlist folders, or you can go via the Music icon and play randomly from all tracks, but this is limited to the first 4000 tracks that were read into the database.

2. The player automatically goes onto the next folder and starts playing the first track of the next album when it gets to the end of the current folder, so you can't just listen to an album and expect the player to stop at the end. I was thinking about adding a dummy track to each of my folders with several minutes of silence, but decided against this as it would mean that on the occasions when I want to play a folder randomly it would also pick this up.

3. Album art is a bit hit and miss. As mentioned on the AGPTek FAQ forum, progressive JPEGs are not supported (http://www.agptek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=856335&start=40), neither are PNG files. I have a mixture of image formats which worked fine on other MP3 players, but not this one. Replacing all non-working images with compatible ones would be too time-consuming so I haven't bothered.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back