BoomStick
Jan 3, 2016 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

walfredo

500+ Head-Fier
Curiosity:  Has anyone heard it?  http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/03/technology/boomstick/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 20
FWIW, they appear to be getting a very positive coverage in mainstream media.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=boomstick&tbm=nws

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 20
He totally lost me at: 
 In a few weeks of testing, I found that the BoomStick made a pair of $10 headphones sound even better than $200 Beats by Dre Solo2 headphones (without the BoomStick).

I mean, its just EQ'ing stuff, right?  It seems to have a bit of a battery too, so maybe a small headamp built in as well. But for $100 + your headphones, I just don't see how its justifiable

Guess we'll wait and see, release is march

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 20
From Tech Crunch:

Standard earbuds from Apple and Samsung can offer experiences more similar to those of Beats and Bose when using the BoomStick device according to the company.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/03/the-boomstick-gives-your-stock-earbuds-a-major-sound-quality-boost/

They lost me at Beats.

Edit: I guess I just made the same comment as greenpsycho above :D Anyone who has had decent headphones and compared them to popular headphones probably has identical thoughts about such statements.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 20
Slightly longer article on the Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/3/10690110/boomcloud-360-boomstick-audio-dongle-price-specs-ces-2016

States that you will be able to test the algorithm on their website (which I can't seem to find), so will have to give it a try when its up.

Edit: found the website. The algorithm obviously sounds better on the website, but the source material sounds pretty horrible so I don't think it is hard to improve. Will have to wait for it to be released to try it out.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 20
  He totally lost me at: 
 In a few weeks of testing, I found that the BoomStick made a pair of $10 headphones sound even better than $200 Beats by Dre Solo2 headphones (without the BoomStick).

I mean, its just EQ'ing stuff, right?  It seems to have a bit of a battery too, so maybe a small headamp built in as well. But for $100 + your headphones, I just don't see how its justifiable

Without listening it, this is my take too.  I guess that part of the appeal is simplicity: 3.5mm in, 3.5mm out, a button.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 20
Interesting concept, but I too question whether you can make a cheap IEM sound better with just a relevant EQ.  I know that when I EQ on my iPhone or iPad, I can make almost anything sound better to me, based on the type of music I like to listen to.  So if these bump up the sound like a mini-amp and/or clean up the sound, I guess there is value in that.  But why not buy a better IEM and avoid it all the same?  But I have that same question on cables.  Will a better cable make my Klipsch S4 or my Westone UM3X sound better? (rhetoric question because Kplisch does not have removable cables).  Every time I ask the question on cables, I get a different answer, so maybe there is some merit to the Boomstick.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 20
Interesting concept, but I too question whether you can make a cheap IEM sound better with just a relevant EQ.  I know that when I EQ on my iPhone or iPad, I can make almost anything sound better to me, based on the type of music I like to listen to.  So if these bump up the sound like a mini-amp and/or clean up the sound, I guess there is value in that.  But why not buy a better IEM and avoid it all the same?  But I have that same question on cables.  Will a better cable make my Klipsch S4 or my Westone UM3X sound better? (rhetoric question because Kplisch does not have removable cables).  Every time I ask the question on cables, I get a different answer, so maybe there is some merit to the Boomstick.

If it makes all of your iems/headphones sound better, then it's the holy grail! :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 20
If it makes all of your iems/headphones sound better, then it's the holy grail! :)

Maybe it is kinda like the Digizoid from few years back (actually a pretty cool little amp)

hehe, I remember the Digizoid it was a MASSIVE bass booster back in the day

I might still be around these days 

still It's just some DSP throw into an amp :/ for the public masses maybe it'll make these guys a cheap buck, but making Apple Buds sound better than the older Generation of beats is no accomplishment 

Well I retract my former comment, I actually used SRS Audio Sand Box back in the day, it really did increase the sound stage of my old XB 700s, gave me a different perspective in terms of details given the changes the SandBox 

My question though is how does it compare to something like Hifimans HE X, which imo sound FLAWLESS with my LG V10 but ofc it's costs $1800 the other question is how does it compare to the DSP options I've got with Neutron's 4.99 paid verison. Honestly, give the money the Player is really wonderful! It has a huge gambit of DSP an did wonders on my Beats Solo 2... ofc then I plugged in my HD 25-1 II an well it just sounds better an I didn't need as much of the DSP. 

Still... I have mixed feelings about the device, *cough* *cough* lazy IGNORANT CASUALS *cough* *cough*  Ehm or rather I should say for people who are to busy to make use of technology that's been around for a while now! 

still though, convenience is priceless 

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 20

Still... I have mixed feelings about the device, though I suppose it offers ultimate convenience for people to lazy or otherwise ignorant  to make use well technology that's already in distribution 

Beautiful - sign me up lol! 
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 20

Beautiful - sign me up lol! 
redface.gif

Right, I tend to forget that not every one has time to learn about DSP EQ an the like, for those of you who are busy saving the world by through reaserach of something more life saving, I suppose this is a life saver! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back