The Ruizu X02 DAP thread
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #451 of 774

Sooo apparently the aliexpress dealer is gonna send me another Ruizu X02 free of charge
smily_headphones1.gif
Lets hope that this one doesnt arrive damaged haha 

Be sure to extend your buyer protection by enough days!!

The seller was kind enough to do that for me, I got another month of buyer protection :) 

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #452 of 774
As promised, here's a report of how my X02 flashed with the Agptek A02 firmware is behaving.

My Ruizu X02 is a white model, 8GB, bought on AliExpress. Seemed to be a genuine product, arrived in the original packaging with all the Ruizu seals, warranty (in Chinese, of course), manual (in English), and extras (micro USB cable, Ruizu-branded white earphones).

I flashed it with Agptek's Audio Product Tool, applying the latest v1.7 firmware for Agptek A02. I checked the FLASH_ERASE option to make the cleanest possible install. The flashing concluded without a hitch.

The A02 UI is cleaner and looks more professional. There's still some dodgy text formatting (alignment issues) and dubious spelling choices, but at least the menus doesn't look blatantly amateurish (like the Recor option in the original Ruizu firmware). I won't post screenshots. If someone's interested in the improved UI, just search for 'agptek a02' on Youtube and you'll see it. The only thing Ruizu got better was the splash screen. The A02 has a hideous pixelated low-res video which serves as intro/outro when you turn the player on/off.

The Settings menu includes a new option to set backlight intensity. I presume reducing this to the lowest setting (which still leaves the screen well visible) can squeeze out a little more battery life. As far as I'm aware, all other options are the same.

The navigation underwent an improvement, too. Now, UP (M button) is up, DOWN (Vol button) is down in menus, and LEFT & RIGHT are 'back' and 'special options' respectively. 'Back' means go back a folder, 'Special options' is in most cases only 'Delete'. While playing a track UP brings up the menu with playback options, and a short press on DOWN goes back in a folder without interrupting playback. To access the volume control a long press on DOWN is needed, after which UP and DOWN adjust the volume.

A novelty is the Easy Mode navigation. You activate it during playback, by a long press on the pause/play button. In easy mode folder navigation and accessing menus is disabled. UP and DOWN adjust the volume, and LEFT and RIGHT change tracks. Essentially, it leaves only the most necessary functions available and makes them easily accessible. To bring back Normal Mode, you have to press pause/play again.

The sound quality, of course, remained the same. The EQs still sound muffled to my ears, but that may be subjective. I just turn EQ off.

Battery life appears excellent as ever. I didn't get a chance to drain the player, but after more than 10hrs of listening to music, the battery indicator was still resting at full.

Note: I only tested MP3s. Haven't transferred any lossless audio yet.

The issues I encountered:

I outlined them in my previous post: track sorting appears completely random in Music view. In Folder view, playback doesn't stop after reaching an end of the current folder, but continues straight on with the next. After all folders and subfolders have been played, it goes right back to the beginning (Folder 1, Subfolder 1) and continues playing.

I tried removing the ID3v2 tag as suggested and replacing it with ID3v1, to no avail. Even after formatting the player and transferring files anew via the Copy In Order program, the sorting is still misbehaving.

Other functions I don't use, or need. I only quickly checked them for the purposes of this report: FM radio & recording and bookmarks seem to be working. I don't use playlists at all so can't comment on that.

Conclusion: To change or not to change firmware? I'd say, yes. The track sorting and playback issues were present in the original Ruizu X02. the A02's firmware didn't fix them, but has made overall improvements to the navigation and UI, so, in my case it was worth it.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #453 of 774
  As promised, here's a report of how my X02 flashed with the Agptek A02 firmware is behaving.

My Ruizu X02 is a white model, 8GB, bought on AliExpress. Seemed to be a genuine product, arrived in the original packaging with all the Ruizu seals, warranty (in Chinese, of course), manual (in English), and extras (micro USB cable, Ruizu-branded white earphones).

I flashed it with Agptek's Audio Product Tool, applying the latest v1.7 firmware for Agptek A02. I checked the FLASH_ERASE option to make the cleanest possible install. The flashing concluded without a hitch.

The A02 UI is cleaner and looks more professional. There's still some dodgy text formatting (alignment issues) and dubious spelling choices, but at least the menus doesn't look blatantly amateurish (like the Recor option in the original Ruizu firmware). I won't post screenshots. If someone's interested in the improved UI, just search for 'agptek a02' on Youtube and you'll see it. The only thing Ruizu got better was the splash screen. The A02 has a hideous pixelated low-res video which serves as intro/outro when you turn the player on/off.

The Settings menu includes a new option to set backlight intensity. I presume reducing this to the lowest setting (which still leaves the screen well visible) can squeeze out a little more battery life. As far as I'm aware, all other options are the same.

The navigation underwent an improvement, too. Now, UP (M button) is up, DOWN (Vol button) is down in menus, and LEFT & RIGHT are 'back' and 'special options' respectively. 'Back' means go back a folder, 'Special options' is in most cases only 'Delete'. While playing a track UP brings up the menu with playback options, and a short press on DOWN goes back in a folder without interrupting playback. To access the volume control a long press on DOWN is needed, after which UP and DOWN adjust the volume.

A novelty is the Easy Mode navigation. You activate it during playback, by a long press on the pause/play button. In easy mode folder navigation and accessing menus is disabled. UP and DOWN adjust the volume, and LEFT and RIGHT change tracks. Essentially, it leaves only the most necessary functions available and makes them easily accessible. To bring back Normal Mode, you have to press pause/play again.

The sound quality, of course, remained the same. The EQs still sound muffled to my ears, but that may be subjective. I just turn EQ off.

Battery life appears excellent as ever. I didn't get a chance to drain the player, but after more than 10hrs of listening to music, the battery indicator was still resting at full.

Note: I only tested MP3s. Haven't transferred any lossless audio yet.

The issues I encountered:

I outlined them in my previous post: track sorting appears completely random in Music view. In Folder view, playback doesn't stop after reaching an end of the current folder, but continues straight on with the next. After all folders and subfolders have been played, it goes right back to the beginning (Folder 1, Subfolder 1) and continues playing.

I tried removing the ID3v2 tag as suggested and replacing it with ID3v1, to no avail. Even after formatting the player and transferring files anew via the Copy In Order program, the sorting is still misbehaving.

Other functions I don't use, or need. I only quickly checked them for the purposes of this report: FM radio & recording and bookmarks seem to be working. I don't use playlists at all so can't comment on that.

Conclusion: To change or not to change firmware? I'd say, yes. The track sorting and playback issues were present in the original Ruizu X02. the A02's firmware didn't fix them, but has made overall improvements to the navigation and UI, so, in my case it was worth it.

Hi

I try the new version of A02 . V 1.7. 
When I listen the audio book, opening the file from the  music>album, the new version could put them into right order, like 01 02 03...15. Before, I only try to open it with folder as their recommendation.
But now, It is really  impressive.
And we also could delete the whole folder or music by pressing the right button to delete or now playing.
You know, we are not always available  to use the PC to clear something. We need the player  operation to be more friendly.
They also update the M button list and something else.
I am very appreciating their professional spirit.
What is more, their customer service is also saying they will offer more update version on their website.
I am looking froward that.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #454 of 774
Though I was warned on this thread I'd already ordered the X09.  I sincerely suggest no one else does the same.  The sound quality is adequate, it uses a mirco USB port for charging and it has a rubberized exterior.  That's where the positive elements end.  The screen, user interface, firmware and battery life are all very poor (emphasis on the byzantine/random interface).  Even the 'clip' at the back is poorly designed and won't hold the player in place.  This is NOT an adequate replacement for a Sandisk player.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #455 of 774
Though I was warned on this thread I'd already ordered the X09.  I sincerely suggest no one else does the same.  The sound quality is adequate, it uses a mirco USB port for charging and it has a rubberized exterior.  That's where the positive elements end.  The screen, user interface, firmware and battery life are all very poor (emphasis on the byzantine/random interface).  Even the 'clip' at the back is poorly designed and won't hold the player in place.  This is NOT an adequate replacement for a Sandisk player.

LOL! I've got one as well and share your enthusiasm :wink:

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #457 of 774
Would the X02 have a better output than a Galaxy Note 5? I've noticed with my KZ EDR2 they sound MUCH better running through my desktop pc than on the Note 5. Should I buy a DAP or a portable DAC like the Fiio E11k?
maybe you should try different software on the Galaxy then, if there's no change, listen to a different cell phone to see if the issue is just with the Galaxy. You could also try an inexpensive amp (e.g., FiiO e06) on the Galaxy. Even though the kzs are easy to drive, a lil power bump might help. Fwiw my cell phone is a cheap moto e and I prefer the battery life and sound of my AGPtEK b03.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #458 of 774
maybe you should try different software on the Galaxy then, if there's no change, listen to a different cell phone to see if the issue is just with the Galaxy. You could also try an inexpensive amp (e.g., FiiO e06) on the Galaxy. Even though the kzs are easy to drive, a lil power bump might help. Fwiw my cell phone is a cheap moto e and I prefer the battery life and sound of my AGPtEK b03.

I've tried lots of music players on it: Blackplayer, Neutron, Poweramp Pro, PlayerPro, Noozy, JetAudio Plus. Some of them have nice features and all feature some form of EQ etc but I often need to play music at up to 80% or higher volume (on the PC it's about 12-16%!). When using the KZs through my pc the sound seems much fuller with stronger bass.

I'm really not sure what to do here as there are advantages both ways with a DAP vs PAMP. My Note 5 has 64GB memory and the battery life is more than enough to get through a full day but it's pretty big and it's a pain to take out of my pocket every time I want to change album or adjust sound settings etc. A DAP would be an extra piece of kit I'd need to carry around with me and a PAMP would make my chunky mobile even chunkier and also be very awkward to stack with my current case (I need to open it to access the screen).

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #463 of 774
For the sounds.
It will be depends on the music format and the headphone.
Maybe you could try this one
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtEK-IMP-HiFi-class-Control-Supports/dp/B0196GCGHI/

It  sounds good

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #464 of 774

I see
You want to long battery,friendlly UI.
I don't know if you try 
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtEK-Version-Playback-Lossless-Supports/dp/B00SD18E60/

This is really long battery and they offer the firmware update.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #465 of 774

Users who are viewing this thread

Back