The Ruizu X02 DAP thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #76 of 774
Thank you for the impressions soundstige! Just a couple of quick questions for you:

[1] You mentioned the odd sorting behavior. That would drive me crazy. Does the player have a simple file browser that you can use so that it will at least play the tracks in each folder in numerical order?

[2] You also mentioned some rolloffs at the frequency extremes. How much is rolled off, especially at the low end. Is it like the Kogan/Ritmix players, or is it more subtle?

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #77 of 774
Thank you for the impressions soundstige! Just a couple of quick questions for you:

[1] You mentioned the odd sorting behavior. That would drive me crazy. Does the player have a simple file browser that you can use so that it will at least play the tracks in each folder in numerical order?

[2] You also mentioned some rolloffs at the frequency extremes. How much is rolled off, especially at the low end. Is it like the Kogan/Ritmix players, or is it more subtle?

Well I just realized something. It does read ID3 well enough, but sorts alphabetically by song title and you can't change that. It doesn't sort by track number. It DOES have a folder browse, but, there is no sorting there, it's totally random. I suspect it's sorted by filesystem write time. It's not alphabetical or by track number. Kind of frustrating...

The bass isn't rolled off too much. The treble can be a little bit wishy washy and is a little more rolled off. I don't know what the Kogan/Ritmix players sound like. It's not quite as good sounding as my Sansa Clip but that sounded great for the size, and there's not that big of a difference. Bass is pretty good, yeah. It definitely gets below 40hz when put to the right equipment, it's just a little quieter than on a high-power source.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #78 of 774
The sorting issue is really disappointing, but I suppose it's an easier pill to swallow in a player that doesn't play gapless anyway. Perhaps using software like that "Copy in Order" program will restore the sequential order? I believe the Colorfly C3 has the same issue, and C3 owners use that program to get around it.

In the low cost category, the Clip running Rockbox is almost impossible to beat. I'm just intrigued by this little player, particularly now that you're experiencing really high output. Not what I expected at all.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #79 of 774
  Well, I just got my X02 yesterday. Pretty impressed overall, especially for the price.

The biggest takeaway is that the battery life is ridiculous. I've had it going since I got it, at 3PM yesterday, playing non-stop, and it's still got 30% battery life left. That works out to somewhere around 40 hours or more of total battery life. Even my Sansa Clip was lucky if it could get 15 hours and that was the 'battery king' of yesteryear.

Another thing to note is that it gets extremely, extremely loud. Instant ear damage loud. The volume bar goes up to 30 and I found most headphones and IEMs to be ear-splittingly painful after 15. Normal listening volume is around 6-10. PLEASE, PLEASE check the volume and make sure it's below 15 BEFORE PLUGGING ANYTHING IN. I'm serious.

The overall sound quality is quite good. There is some lack of spaciousness, and some roll off on the extreme ends of the spectrum. No hiss at all with the few headphones, IEMs, and speakers I've used. Detail is good but you can tell there's some missing microdetail when compared to a more refined source... not really surprising at all. Definitely not what I'd call "poor" sound. Great for the price.

The X02 actually feels great, really solid with a nice textured silicone skin. The buttons click nicely and everything has nice tolerances and works, mechanically, great.

Now, for the less than great parts: the screen quality approaches terrible. Very low resolution and the font for the player is large and unchangeable (as far as I can tell). You can only read one or two words of a song at a time. Really cramped and hard to navigate through.

Also, no ID3 support that I can see. Which also means, no proper sorting -- yet there are sections to view by artist, album, etc., but they don't work reliably for me. Perhaps it uses a tagging system I'm not familiar with? It also doesn't list tracks in order, like it will go 03, 11, 04, 01, 08, etc.

And the navigation choices for the buttons are very strange. It must be a cultural thing because I've seen it before on other Chinese players, but it makes little sense to me. Up does nothing most of the time. Down backs out of a screen (usually). Left and Right are what actually cycle up and down through a list -- unless you're on the main screen (of course! lol...) then all four directions work as one would imagine. Very quirky, but at least all the buttons respond well.

A super purchase for the money. I wanted a "disposable" MP3 player with super long battery life so that I can keep it in the car. That's exactly what I got. The battery life on the X02 is otherworldly. I also think it wouldn't have any problem powering 300 ohm or maybe even 600 ohm headphones, due to the ridiculous volume capability, though of course the quality and battery life will suffer compared to a more expensive solution.

Thanks for the impression! I'm glad to hear it doesn't lack on the volume front, though people with super sensitive gears might not like it. I was worried that they might suffer from the lack of juice like many small compact devices but I guess that's unfounded now. The lack of proper sorting is a bit of a bummer, I'll admit. 

Sigh... 17 days and still waiting on my end.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #80 of 774
Not so good(
Anyway, GEARBEST give discount on Ruizu's:
X02 8Gb (coupon code: RUIZUDH)=$17.98,
X02 4Gb (coupon code: RUIZUX02DH)=$15.99
Coupons valid to 31.01.2015
Maybe after reading lasts messages)

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #81 of 774
Thanks for the impression! I'm glad to hear it doesn't lack on the volume front, though people with super sensitive gears might not like it. I was worried that they might suffer from the lack of juice like many small compact devices but I guess that's unfounded now. The lack of proper sorting is a bit of a bummer, I'll admit. 

Sigh... 17 days and still waiting on my end.

I don't know what's going on hear but mine has very low volume...

It can barely drive the Takstar Pro80 and haven't got a chance with the Havi B3. Even with the IM70's I need to set the volume on10-12...

Well, I just got my X02 yesterday. Pretty impressed overall, especially for the price.

The biggest takeaway is that the battery life is ridiculous. I've had it going since I got it, at 3PM yesterday, playing non-stop, and it's still got 30% battery life left. That works out to somewhere around 40 hours or more of total battery life. Even my Sansa Clip was lucky if it could get 15 hours and that was the 'battery king' of yesteryear.

Another thing to note is that it gets extremely, extremely loud. Instant ear damage loud. The volume bar goes up to 30 and I found most headphones and IEMs to be ear-splittingly painful after 15. Normal listening volume is around 6-10. PLEASE, PLEASE check the volume and make sure it's below 15 BEFORE PLUGGING ANYTHING IN. I'm serious.

The overall sound quality is quite good. There is some lack of spaciousness, and some roll off on the extreme ends of the spectrum. No hiss at all with the few headphones, IEMs, and speakers I've used. Detail is good but you can tell there's some missing microdetail when compared to a more refined source... not really surprising at all. Definitely not what I'd call "poor" sound. Great for the price.

The X02 actually feels great, really solid with a nice textured silicone skin. The buttons click nicely and everything has nice tolerances and works, mechanically, great.

Now, for the less than great parts: the screen quality approaches terrible. Very low resolution and the font for the player is large and unchangeable (as far as I can tell). You can only read one or two words of a song at a time. Really cramped and hard to navigate through.

Also, no ID3 support that I can see. Which also means, no proper sorting -- yet there are sections to view by artist, album, etc., but they don't work reliably for me. Perhaps it uses a tagging system I'm not familiar with? It also doesn't list tracks in order, like it will go 03, 11, 04, 01, 08, etc.

And the navigation choices for the buttons are very strange. It must be a cultural thing because I've seen it before on other Chinese players, but it makes little sense to me. Up does nothing most of the time. Down backs out of a screen (usually). Left and Right are what actually cycle up and down through a list -- unless you're on the main screen (of course! lol...) then all four directions work as one would imagine. Very quirky, but at least all the buttons respond well.

A super purchase for the money. I wanted a "disposable" MP3 player with super long battery life so that I can keep it in the car. That's exactly what I got. The battery life on the X02 is otherworldly. I also think it wouldn't have any problem powering 300 ohm or maybe even 600 ohm headphones, due to the ridiculous volume capability, though of course the quality and battery life will suffer compared to a more expensive solution.

Great impressions, mirrors mine perfectly on everything but the volume mentioned above.

I've got the 4 GB version,maybe there's a difference for some reason.....

Edit:
Also I feel that it lacks power (not only volume) do you feel that yours is capable to bring out the full potential in the bass? I don't feel that even with easy to drive IEM's but I do t experience it as roll of either, just lack of impact the way it feels when the amp haven't got enough power to bring out the omp :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #82 of 774
I just got X02 - what a stupid navigation: D
You know immediately that it comes from China. But surprisingly good feel in the hand.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #83 of 774
  I just got X02 - what a stupid navigation: D
You know immediately that it comes from China. But surprisingly good feel in the hand.

+1, you'll get used to it pretty fast though :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #84 of 774
Necessarily - I normally use Fiio X1 and iMod video.
But I bought the X-02, just for fun, so no problem :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #85 of 774
  Necessarily - I normally use Fiio X1 and iMod video.
But I bought the X-02, just for fun, so no problem :)

Sounds good because it is fun 
gs1000.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #86 of 774
@peter123
hi
there was another dap you considered while you were considering to buy a new dap could you please tell me its name.i saw it in the Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread but i forgot its name i think it started with letter "Q" sorry this is all i remembered i did try to find the post but i was unable to find it again.
i want to find a little comparison between the two before i bet my 20$.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #88 of 774
@peter123
hi
there was another dap you considered while you were considering to buy a new dap could you please tell me its name.i saw it in the Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread but i forgot its name i think it started with letter "Q" sorry this is all i remembered i did try to find the post but i was unable to find it again.
i want to find a little comparison between the two before i bet my 20$.

ONN Q6, Q9?

Yes it was indeed the ONN Q9. It has now been confirmed that the two uses the same chip.

I've also ordered the Ruizu X09 which also uses the same chip but is smaller and has a clip solution, will be a while before that one arrives though.......

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #89 of 774
Yes it was indeed the ONN Q9. It has now been confirmed that the two uses the same chip.

I've also ordered the Ruizu X09 which also uses the same chip but is smaller and has a clip solution, will be a while before that one arrives though.......

That's correct, the ONN Q9.

.....as I mentioned a good few pages back the X02 sounds like the characteristics of a digital amplifier while the Q9 sounds or has similar characteristics to a tube amplifier. Both are great purchases, but the X02 has the Q9 beat on battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back