The Ruizu X02 DAP thread
Jan 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #377 of 774
  Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but this is the AGPtEK B03 Digital Music Player. Player shown with KZ LP3 headphones and Incredible Hulk for scale.
http://i.imgur.com/oLouugA.jpg?1

As I understand it, the B03 is a designed for export kin to the Ruizu DAPs. As shown, the player is matte black plastic with silver accents on the controls. 3.5 jack and micro USB are on the bottom of the player; the on/off switch is on the right and the micro SD slot is on the left. The microphone is on the bottom left of the face. The player is feather-light.

The screen is simple and I wouldn't recommend it for video or photo viewing but it's very adequate for its purpose of displaying track info and cover art. Viewing in direct sunlight can be a bit difficult, but again an acceptable trade off for a player at this price point where its DAP function is your principal concern. I would have preferred that the screen take better advantage of its real estate and use a slightly larger and thicker font but what's there is legible and functional. Keeping with its bare bones nature, there are really no options to customize the display.

Unlike some of the Ruizu players, the B03 has independent buttons for return to previous menu (on left) and play mode controls when in the Now Playing screen (right). In practice, this configuration is easy to use for navigation although the B03 retains the unfortunate convention that the left and right buttons in the "wheel" layout are used to move up and down in the on screen menus. The bottom and top buttons in the "wheel" are the volume controls.  As with other similar players, the OS manages the songs on the internal memory and card separately.

AGPtEK recommends Media Monkey software for your music management which is solid advice and works flawlessly. Because the player requires a CUE file to be present with your FLAC files, you have to manage your FLAC transfers and their folder structures outside Media Monkey. The ability to handle FLAC the way the Sansa Clip+ does would be a big step forward.

In terms of sound, the B03 compares quite well with the Sansa Clip+ although I found the EQ settings to be less murky on the Clip+. However, the power that the B03 can put out seems to me to be a clear step ahead of the Sansa.

With Sansa's Clip+ going for near $50, spending $25 for this AGPtEK is a no brainer.

Some additional thoughts on the B03. I've put this thing through its paces with a range of music genres and with a variety of MP3 bit rates as well as FLAC. The audio quality stacks up well against the Sansa Clip+ and well above the lower end generic Chinese made mp3 players I've tried. The B03's competition seems to be the Sansa Clip+ and ~$50 (US) players like the FiiO M3, ONN X5, and XDUOO X2 (of these, I've only used the Sansa Clip so others could chime in if they're able to make comparisons). The combination of a bare-bones OS and the addition of menu buttons works well and is only a downside if you need the ability to customize a la Rockbox. I've not had the player long enough (only 2 months) to say it's unquestionably durable, but it's been dropped a few times, stuffed in pockets, dangled from cables, etc. and not a scratch or dent. The manual is a brief 4 or 5 pages and more clearly written than I've come to expect from these sort of products. The most awkward part is the explanation of how to make albums play in track order. Regarding support, AGPtEK has a website but the B03 is not listed as a product; luckily I've not had need to contact support.  These are all things I like about the B03; if the choice is between paying $50 for a player or $25 for the B03 with equal sound quality I'll go with the B03. What would I like to see different or perhaps in a subsequent player? First, I think Ruizu has been smart to emphasize the use of quality software like Media Monkey. I think in a future player, they might want to take it a step further and design a player specifically to be Rockboxed. The on-board OS could be as simple as the B03's, which would be sufficient for most of the market, but the Rockbox option would give it a big edge on it's competition for audiences like head-fi. Second, the B03 needs a support website. Third, it's tough for consumers who don't scour forums like head-fi to make sense of what constitutes the Ruizu/AGPtEK line of players and how well each product addresses particular consumer needs. Part of the problem is that AGPtEK appears to be an umbrella export firm; if you search AGPtEK on Amazon you'll find DAPs (some don't appear to be Ruizu) but also knife sharpeners and wigs. A brand name with just audio gear, three or five distinct DAPs and a dedicated website/support forum is a lot easier to research.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #378 of 774

AGPTek B03 was sold out. It will be available with in 2 weeks. The official price is about $25.

Thanks for the update, I hope the prices in Europe won't be that much different from the US official prices.

Europe tax is higher so the price is a little bit higher. I guess it's around 28 euro. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #379 of 774

Some additional thoughts on the B03. I've put this thing through its paces with a range of music genres and with a variety of MP3 bit rates as well as FLAC. The audio quality stacks up well against the Sansa Clip+ and well above the lower end generic Chinese made mp3 players I've tried. The B03's competition seems to be the Sansa Clip+ and ~$50 (US) players like the FiiO M3, ONN X5, and XDUOO X2 (of these, I've only used the Sansa Clip so others could chime in if they're able to make comparisons). The combination of a bare-bones OS and the addition of menu buttons works well and is only a downside if you need the ability to customize a la Rockbox. I've not had the player long enough (only 2 months) to say it's unquestionably durable, but it's been dropped a few times, stuffed in pockets, dangled from cables, etc. and not a scratch or dent. The manual is a brief 4 or 5 pages and more clearly written than I've come to expect from these sort of products. The most awkward part is the explanation of how to make albums play in track order. Regarding support, AGPtEK has a website but the B03 is not listed as a product; luckily I've not had need to contact support.  These are all things I like about the B03; if the choice is between paying $50 for a player or $25 for the B03 with equal sound quality I'll go with the B03. What would I like to see different or perhaps in a subsequent player? First, I think Ruizu has been smart to emphasize the use of quality software like Media Monkey. I think in a future player, they might want to take it a step further and design a player specifically to be Rockboxed. The on-board OS could be as simple as the B03's, which would be sufficient for most of the market, but the Rockbox option would give it a big edge on it's competition for audiences like head-fi. Second, the B03 needs a support website. Third, it's tough for consumers who don't scour forums like head-fi to make sense of what constitutes the Ruizu/AGPtEK line of players and how well each product addresses particular consumer needs. Part of the problem is that AGPtEK appears to be an umbrella export firm; if you search AGPtEK on Amazon you'll find DAPs (some don't appear to be Ruizu) but also knife sharpeners and wigs. A brand name with just audio gear, three or five distinct DAPs and a dedicated website/support forum is a lot easier to research.

Hi Wastan,

Thank you so much for your review. I agreed on most of your opinions and I also need to clarify something:

1. We wanted the player to be Rockboxed, however, because of the hardware limit, we have to redesign a new model to do so. We are working on it.

2. B03 is listed on AGPTek website. http://www.agptek.com/MP3_players-126.html
I think the website's usability does need more work.

3. AGPTek has a support website and forum. We also work hard to make user submit their questions easily. Check this one out:
http://www.agptek.com/Help-Troubleshooting.html

4. AGPTek have a variety of product lines. A new brand name for just DAPs is good idea. We will do that in future. We do have a product team focus on DAPs and you can see we have been working to improve firmware and more new model coming out. 

Thanks again,

Leo

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #381 of 774
  It's not a Ruizu. I ordered them before. Aliexpress sellers make little profit (about 1 dollar per order. Their products are highly identical and less competitive), so the copycats only cost a little bit less.

I don't think I'll buy it.  I'm really happy with my Ruizu and don't want to try anything where the battery may not be as good.  I'm still looking for another Ruizu because I listen to audiobooks.  Sometimes I want to listen to another audiobook, but I don't want to lose my place in a 10 hour long file. 

I like the AGPtEK, but it's $38 Canadian.  My Ruizu was from Gearbest, which took over 2 months to arrive.

Thanks for the information, LeoZheng.  I appreciate the info and the quick reply.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #382 of 774
What are the differences then? Maybe I have a fake too...

The battery life are significantly shorter which is about 30 hours or even shorter.

The memory chip is refurbished which makes OS crash sometimes.

The buttons are chunky and sounds big. 

Durability is questionable. Maybe only last few months. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #383 of 774

I don't think I'll buy it.  I'm really happy with my Ruizu and don't want to try anything where the battery may not be as good.  I'm still looking for another Ruizu because I listen to audiobooks.  Sometimes I want to listen to another audiobook, but I don't want to lose my place in a 10 hour long file. 

I like the AGPtEK, but it's $38 Canadian.  My Ruizu was from Gearbest, which took over 2 months to arrive.

Thanks for the information, LeoZheng.  I appreciate the info and the quick reply.

You are very welcome. I understand. Why music players are so expensive in Canada? What local marketplace did you guys buy electronics from?

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #384 of 774
The battery life are significantly shorter which is about 30 hours or even shorter.

The memory chip is refurbished which makes OS crash sometimes.

The buttons are chunky and sounds big. 

Durability is questionable. Maybe only last few months. 

Without another one to compare it would be hard for me to know if mine is real or fake, as I understand ?

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #385 of 774
Already see it, you say this one is fake Leo: http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32597667037.html

It has no Ruizu name on front and no text and serial# on the back which mine has. Seems that is the difference from the outside!

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #386 of 774
Already see it, you say this one is fake Leo: http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32597667037.html

It has no Ruizu name on front and no text and serial# on the back which mine has. Seems that is the difference from the outside!

Yes, this one surely is a copycat. I didn't say it is a fake one because it didn't claim it is a Ruizu although the pictures are copied from Ruizu.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #387 of 774

You are very welcome. I understand. Why music players are so expensive in Canada? What local marketplace did you guys buy electronics from?

The Canadian dollar dropped recently, it's about 68 cents to $1 U.S.  But everything seems to be more money in Canada.  DVDs, electronics, books, etc. 
The price I quoted ($37.99) was from Amazon Canada.  http://www.amazon.ca/AGPtEK%C2%AE-Playback-Lossless-Supports-included/dp/B00YM3SCI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453323260&sr=8-2&keywords=agptek
At least the shipping is free. 
On the U.S. Amazon site, the same item, same seller "Linking Store" is $24.99 U.S. dollars (free shipping if order is over $35).

There are very few local options in lower-priced mp3 players.  Walmart Canada sells Hip Street (battery lasts 2 hours, if you're lucky).  I can get a Sony flash-style Walkman for around $35, but it doesn't bookmark.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #388 of 774

The Canadian dollar dropped recently, it's about 68 cents to $1 U.S.  But everything seems to be more money in Canada.  DVDs, electronics, books, etc. 
The price I quoted ($37.99) was from Amazon Canada.  http://www.amazon.ca/AGPtEK%C2%AE-Playback-Lossless-Supports-included/dp/B00YM3SCI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453323260&sr=8-2&keywords=agptek
At least the shipping is free. 
On the U.S. Amazon site, the same item, same seller "Linking Store" is $24.99 U.S. dollars (free shipping if order is over $35).

There are very few local options in lower-priced mp3 players.  Walmart Canada sells Hip Street (battery lasts 2 hours, if you're lucky).  I can get a Sony flash-style Walkman for around $35, but it doesn't bookmark.

It's very true, being Canadian means you get financially reamed.  Even when you take the (currently horrific) exchange rate into account Canadian vendors (notably Amazon) are infinitely less competitive than their American counterparts.  If you live close to the border it often makes sense to order from an American site, ship it to an American address and then cross the border to pick up your goods. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #389 of 774
Hooray! Hooray! I got my AGPtEK's Today! Hooray!

It's only been around 10 hours since I received it and I've had it running for around 5 of those. I'll make a few quick comments but before I start I want to say that I highly recommend the AGPtek A06 (Edit to say which version it is - the bluetooth version A06) over the Ruizu X06. The Ruizu is good but the menu changes alone are well worth the price of admission.

Thank you LeoZheng for allowing me to buy from you.

Immediate differences are no branding on the front of the AGPtek, where the Ruizu does. I prefer the former. It's refreshing. It comes with a lovely brown cardboard box I can't remember what the X06 came in but it wasn't anywhere near as nice.

It's set to loop play on startup.

When pressing the Down "button" the "Vol" on the X06 takes me first to the current song list, and usually the second down press takes me to the folder level, and the third to the Menu screen which usually for em is Folder View. But not the AGPtek. That second down press doesn't take you into the folder directory but just acts as the down key to get to the next file in the playlist. Up and Down now take you through your list of songs podcasts etc. Not that it actually bothered me in the X06 but I find it more pleasant to use now on the AGPtEK.

How do you get to the Menu now? You use the left RW button. That takes you down into the folders, then the Menu into Folder View. The right key FF will give you Last played or delete. n the X06 it's Now Playing. I'm not sure if there's a difference.

The Set menu now says "Settings". Attention to detail. Now, when you go into the Settings Menu, on the X06 to scroll up and down you had to use RW & FF. With the AGPtEK it's the up & down M & VOL.

Best of all is that the Volume is now up and down. You access the volume by long pressing the Down key once while in play mode. And then you just use the M & Vol to volume up & down. Centre Key take you back to the playing screen. All time listings in fact use the Up & Down now.

Bookmarks seem to work so far.

The only thing I'm missing so far for this to be my perfect MP3 player is a properly functioning Bluetooth. But I knew that before I bought these devices, as Leo said he was working on it. I haven't read this thread since I last post so I don't know if there's new recent firmware that has improved this.

For Bluetooth, as with the X06, there is no FF or RW. Most podcasts play in one ear only. If that was fixed, I'd be pretty darned pleased.

For someone who uses the AGPtEK first, it will be fairly intuitive, but now that I've gooten so used to using the Menu system for the X06, I'm finding it a little awkward. That'll soon stop once more muscle memory sets in.

Can someone please remind me as to how I find the firmware info?

Here's something I've just discovered. I tired to turn it off using the centre button, to see if when I then switched it back on if it would play where I last left off. With the X06 it doesn't. I have to turn the X06 back on with same method I used to turn it off.

With the AGPtEK the centre button gives you a message 'Easy Mode. Long press play to exit. Up/Down to adjust volume. Left/Right to skip songs. How's that? If you don't like the Menu's one way you can easily switch to the other. The best of both worlds.

A long press again gives the message "Back to normal mode". You know which Menu mode you're in because in the X06 Menu style you see a Music Note on the top left corner that's outlined in Red.

But it looks like you can no longer turn off the device this way. No problem. Just use the Slider on the side.

A great device.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #390 of 774
  The agptek version has enhanced the quality of the buttons (Made in Japan) and jack port and comes with one year international warranty. No worries.   

I can confirm that the buttons are better on the AGPtEK A06. The centre button on the X06 actually rattles. The outer ring is also more refined when pressing. Not so clunky as the X06. The X06 does feel much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back