The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #12,661 of 12,991
What did you not like about the T1 3rd? I've considered trying it a few times, but something keeps telling me no.
The midrange is tuned VERY strangely.
Not befitting of a flagship tier headphone at all.

IMO, midrange should always be tuned relatively 'flat', no matter what type of headphone, then play around with bass and treble for variation and taste.
The T1v3 sounded very 'incorrect' in a way that the midrange was the part being played around with.
Something you almost never see with Beyerdynamic.

At that time I could switch between that and the DT1990 Pro, and it was just a massacre.
DT1990 sounded like the flagship.

May 15, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #12,662 of 12,991
The midrange is tuned VERY strangely.
Not befitting of a flagship tier headphone at all.

IMO, midrange should always be tuned relatively 'flat', no matter what type of headphone, then play around with bass and treble for variation and taste.
The T1v3 sounded very 'incorrect' in a way that the midrange was the part being played around with.
Something you almost never see with Beyerdynamic.

At that time I could switch between that and the DT1990 Pro, and it was just a massacre.
DT1990 sounded like the flagship.
Mids recessed? Lower mids too warm, upper mids too dark?

May 16, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #12,663 of 12,991
Mids recessed? Lower mids too warm, upper mids too dark?
Exactly.
There's a huge dip around 2kHz which is over 10dB lower than most of the bass and treble.
This totally sucks out the upper vocal range of the mids.
It sounds totally borked like an old radio.

May 17, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #12,664 of 12,991
Alright thanks for the heads-up guys i guess i won't be going for another headphone for now. I do have my eyes on a Audiodeze lcd 2 closed back but i am saving that for later when i reached my life goals and I want to reward myself. But For some reason when i EQ i always hear a compromise (for example the mids become worse or the bass) that i just can't seem to enjoy. It's like the manufactures tuning always seems best for me that was the case with every headphone i own HD650, DT 1990 pro, DT 1770 pro, some 100-200 bucks headphones, Wireless earbuds and wireless headphones i even have an EQ extension from a guy i bought long time ago that EQ'd the headphone 'better' from DIY audio heaven for the Beyerdynamic's and i hear the compromise that effects the sound quality compared to stock. Maybe it's because i am huge fan of German headphones and I should shift from those brands? Maybe those headphones don't do well with EQ?

I have been looking at the Argon from modhouse but they are based in the USA and taxes+import costs will be insane, so i have to pass on that one.

May 25, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #12,665 of 12,991
Hello guys I currently use the Vmoda Crossfade lp 2 with eq and amping they slam really nice and got my Basshead needs satisfied for the past couple years. But now I crave more! Looking to spend around 500$ but also can go up to 1k if it’s truly something special. Anyone have any suggestions for an upgrade ? I care about mid bass mostly having that visceral impact of a kick drum for example I love that.

May 26, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #12,666 of 12,991
Beyerdynamic DT1770, used ZMF Eikon, used Fostex TH900, Fostex TH610, Sony MDR Z7, used Pioneer SE Master 1 if you can find in very good price but i doubt. Grado PS500 and couple of more, but dont remember right now :wink:

May 26, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #12,667 of 12,991
@PocketSmiley
You are a true basshead and a science major. That gives you gravitas. Makes you respected by some and loathed by others. That's a compliment. (being loathed) if you were blowing smoke you'd just get ignored . I challenge anyone to read and pick apart your eq post. It'll never happen...it's Science

For hit and run testers out there you need a mini to XLR converter to test most Audiophile cans. Typically/thankfully a mini to 1/4 converter will work fine at most shops.

Pocket can you test the 77's? 1st. There can be multiple reviews of identical cans so you can go atomic with the sz later. A review using the tracks in the OP would be best. A vid of the paper flutter is (I'm gonna do another post after this describing that) important and a comparison to another pair not on the hammer list would be nice. These gladiators will be pitted against one another after 10 have been gathered.

Everybody is busy with stuff so no rush. Quality over all else when it comes to the reviews. Take your sweet time.
Very good. Tks

May 26, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #12,669 of 12,991
Beyerdynamic DT1770, used ZMF Eikon, used Fostex TH900, Fostex TH610, Sony MDR Z7, used Pioneer SE Master 1 if you can find in very good price but i doubt. Grado PS500 and couple of more, but dont remember right now :wink:
Since i owned the dt 770s in the past, I always thought beyerdynamics are more sub bass focused never got much slam from them without overdriving them to crackling.

May 26, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #12,670 of 12,991
They should be fine. Also you can check Denon D5200 and D7200. Ultrasone Signature Master or Pulse can do a job propably too. Quad Era 1, check them too. Propably with good amplifier thats gonna be that. Also remember that, the slam is mainly dependant from amplfier and overall drive, energy and pairing your whole chain. Source material is matter too. Transparent chain sometimes can show hughe differences in diffrent music. In slam performqnce too. Also type in youtube movie: "whats make headphones slam?" by Abyss channel.

May 27, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #12,671 of 12,991
They should be fine. Also you can check Denon D5200 and D7200. Ultrasone Signature Master or Pulse can do a job propably too. Quad Era 1, check them too. Propably with good amplifier thats gonna be that. Also remember that, the slam is mainly dependant from amplfier and overall drive, energy and pairing your whole chain. Source material is matter too. Transparent chain sometimes can show hughe differences in diffrent music. In slam performqnce too. Also type in youtube movie: "whats make headphones slam?" by Abyss channel.
i got a zen dac v2 with magni 2 uber as amp anything you would recommend to upgrade there to perfect what imlooking for ? thanks

May 27, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #12,672 of 12,991
I dont know these devices sadly. I would try Denon D7200, Fostex TH610 or Ultrasone Pulse with that you have now and see how this look. Quad ERA1 is a planar magentic design and i dont know how they could perform from this amplifier, they are gonna be hardest load. HIFIMan HE R9 on graphs also lookin appeling in bass regions. My friend always lookin for good bass and slam, and he recommend HiFiman HE R10D for that purpose. Im prefer for extra punch Pioneer SE Master 1 but old PS500 (and new PS500e) have very hard slamy bass too. Bass form PS500e its like a iron ball, slamming on the ears.

May 27, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #12,673 of 12,991
I used Chord Anni/Qutest stack, that have pretty bombastic performance in bass regions. Anni give old school big wall of sound with hughe bass and Qutest give threedimensional lower registry with focus layering and separation.

Whole chain workin on that bass response so good headphones from these all above. could be not enough. But with good setup every one of them should be enough. But sometimes even bassy music itself, dont have enough of that factor you need, and even Final Audio D8000 on G pads like mine dont give a satisfaction. They have tremendous slam even in sub bass regions.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #12,674 of 12,991
Short Update. In my quest to find something in my price range (under 500) that satisfies my needs and feels like an upgrade to my CF2s i have made use of the Amazon return policy and will be testing lots of different Headphones.

I have ordered: Meze 99 Neo, DT1770 Pro, Hifiman He r9,Denon ah 5200, 99 classic, CF3, M100 Master. Ultrasone Signature Pulse.

Will be Using these on a Zen dac v2 paired with a Topping a30 pro

For now the ones that have arrived are the 99 Neos and the Ultrasones.

The 99 Neos sound like an Upgrade in the bass region from the vmoda cf2s i had, but the highs are fatiguing on some songs for me. Anyway, in comparision to the Ultrasone Signature Pulse, it won. The pulse has nice bass but that is about it. Vocals sound horrible on these, muddy and kinda echoey. I guess thats what the s-logic does on these. so they will be returned. Ill keep the 99 neos for now to compare against the others and will update here.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #12,675 of 12,991
Short Update. In my quest to find something in my price range (under 500) that satisfies my needs and feels like an upgrade to my CF2s i have made use of the Amazon return policy and will be testing lots of different Headphones.

I have ordered: Meze 99 Neo, DT1770 Pro, Hifiman He r9,Denon ah 5200, 99 classic, CF3, M100 Master. Ultrasone Signature Pulse.

Will be Using these on a Zen dac v2 paired with a Topping a30 pro

For now the ones that have arrived are the 99 Neos and the Ultrasones.

The 99 Neos sound like an Upgrade in the bass region from the vmoda cf2s i had, but the highs are fatiguing on some songs for me. Anyway, in comparision to the Ultrasone Signature Pulse, it won. The pulse has nice bass but that is about it. Vocals sound horrible on these, muddy and kinda echoey. I guess thats what the s-logic does on these. so they will be returned. Ill keep the 99 neos for now to compare against the others and will update here.
if somebody has anymore in this price range with really good mid bass slam let me know i will try them all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back