The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #12,631 of 12,993
So which one has more bass, Sennheiser Momentum 3 or Hifiman HE-R9 ?
The HE-R9 has similar amount of subbass but slightly more mid and upper bass.

The momentum 3 has a better sound signature overall (with ANC on), but being primarily a bluetooth headphone makes it very limited. I also dont like the fact that the battery is required for good sound and will degrade over time. If there was a normal wired version, I would buy it.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #12,632 of 12,993
What do yall think is a worthy upgrade to an LCD-X these days? Lets say budget is under $3500-4000 new or used. I've tried the ZMF Caldera and Veritite Closed and both are good but I continually go back to my LCD-X due to the sheer amount of bass.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #12,633 of 12,993
What do yall think is a worthy upgrade to an LCD-X these days? Lets say budget is under $3500-4000 new or used. I've tried the ZMF Caldera and Veritite Closed and both are good but I continually go back to my LCD-X due to the sheer amount of bass.
Its depend what you are lookin for. Big bass volume like LCD series or other qualities like extraordinary punch or focus. For volume itself all Audeze are very good but you can go better. Pioneer Master 1 for example are headphones which have almost all qualities that bass head may want. Its big and punchy, have volume and focus, texture and right amount of hardness. With right gear not overhelms the the top end and sound not dark at all like many people say. Thats why i have them. Grado have harder bass for example, like a iron ball in lets say PS500e. Its focused and very alive bass with strong kick. Planars like D8000 take you in some other new fascinating places in bass dominion, like real sub bass punch and rumble, fulness top to bottom on low end. Mixture of dynamic and classic planar bass, maybe the best in headphones overall right now.

For the record on Audeze bass - i fell like a entire LCD line miss something. Its like someone just make in them very good volume, you can hear lowest region but when you need real dynamic, punch i live action bass, well... Its not there. LCD2 Classic for example, quite big overall bass and good headphones in general, but when you take something like Master 1 beside them you can hear have gray and boring they are, like someone cut thier balls. What stay its a just normal very secure sound. Secure its ok for most but problem here is its lifless especially in bass region.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #12,634 of 12,993
Finally got my hands on the bass king(XB1000), and immediately did a quick mod with custom pads

NsYx7hO.jpg

1sVKphP.jpg

xd3Lxm1.jpg

Maybe a detachable cable mod in the future, but for now i'll leave it as it is and it's already pretty good :L3000:

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #12,635 of 12,993
Try the new Atrium closed in a soft wood. It's coming out April 28th. I have two here with me, one in a soft wood ( Burmese Teak) and one in a harder wood. They both hit as hard, but the softer wood lets the bass notes linger longer than the hard.

It has quite a bit more bass than either the VC or Caldera

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #12,636 of 12,993
Finally got my hands on the bass king(XB1000), and immediately did a quick mod with custom pads

NsYx7hO.jpg

1sVKphP.jpg

xd3Lxm1.jpg

Maybe a detachable cable mod in the future, but for now i'll leave it as it is and it's already pretty good :L3000:
The 1000 looks so weird with normal earpads, lol

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #12,638 of 12,993

NsYx7hO.jpg

1sVKphP.jpg

xd3Lxm1.jpg

That looks super clean. I think that was my exact thought (how normal it looked) when I tried shallower pads (hm5) sheeps. Mind you this was like 6-7 years ago and I no longer have the xb1k or sz1k as i had to give up some to try new things. Miss them though.

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

Fun times. Oh my how the time has passed. Seems like yesterday. I miss those heavy bass hitters.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #12,639 of 12,993
Try the new Atrium closed in a soft wood. It's coming out April 28th. I have two here with me, one in a soft wood ( Burmese Teak) and one in a harder wood. They both hit as hard, but the softer wood lets the bass notes linger longer than the hard.

It has quite a bit more bass than either the VC or Caldera
Hmm may have to check them out, thanks!

Also going to look into the D8000

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #12,640 of 12,993

NsYx7hO.jpg

1sVKphP.jpg

xd3Lxm1.jpg

How do you like compared to the XB500? I put fresh pads and headband cover on my XB500 and I love them with some sub bass EQ. Problem is, I have less than $100 invested in my XB500 and I only see rather pricey XB1000s.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #12,641 of 12,993
I have the X and absolutely love them. I was looking at the Caldera and the Final D8000pro - they seem to be reviewed as having the intense physicality of the LCD-X bass, but also adding in a bit more spaciousness and airyness/detail in the higher ranges at the same time - without being a bit of an anemic sound to the Hifiman sound.

What specifically can you compare about the Caldera and the X, in bass but also in everything else? And have you tried the D8000 Pro?

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #12,642 of 12,993
It might be just me or maybe I'm used to more bass but I found the lcd-x to be a bit light on the bass for my tastes. I found the verite closed and caldera to be way over hyped, no offense to anyone but it doesn't come anywhere close to something like the d8000.

Final Audio D8000 or Spirit torino centauri might be a good step up from the lcd-x.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #12,643 of 12,993
I have the X and absolutely love them. I was looking at the Caldera and the Final D8000pro - they seem to be reviewed as having the intense physicality of the LCD-X bass, but also adding in a bit more spaciousness and airyness/detail in the higher ranges at the same time - without being a bit of an anemic sound to the Hifiman sound.

What specifically can you compare about the Caldera and the X, in bass but also in everything else? And have you tried the D8000 Pro?
I actually came back to the Caldera's and they seem to sound better lol. I didn't really care for them when I first got them but now that I listen to them I kinda love them. I may just keep them.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #12,644 of 12,993
I actually came back to the Caldera's and they seem to sound better lol. I didn't really care for them when I first got them but now that I listen to them I kinda love them. I may just keep them.
What EQs are you using for the LCDX and then the caldera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back