The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #12,616 of 12,993
As a massive basshead i always lookin for some slam and overall big sound. My friend told me i must buy Abyss 1266. They are on the list but i already have very big bass with extra hughe slam from SE Master 1. With electronic music they rockin very hard. Final D8000 also have that bassy something. As far i know Focal Stellia or Quad ERA1 have that power too. I was listening once Ultrasone Tribute 7 and they have very strong vibrant low end. Its also not just a headphone case, the right amplfier ist a must. I using for now Chord Anni, he have very good low end and pump the bass true Final D8000 like a boss. He make all the music basically more powerfull experiance than most of amps in this price range.
Ive heard new Utopia 2022 give quite a punch. From less know hp's Kennerton Vali could be something to check.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #12,617 of 12,993
As a massive basshead i always lookin for some slam and overall big sound. My friend told me i must buy Abyss 1266. They are on the list but i already have very big bass with extra hughe slam from SE Master 1. With electronic music they rockin very hard. Final D8000 also have that bassy something. As far i know Focal Stellia or Quad ERA1 have that power too. I was listening once Ultrasone Tribute 7 and they have very strong vibrant low end. Its also not just a headphone case, the right amplfier ist a must. I using for now Chord Anni, he have very good low end and pump the bass true Final D8000 like a boss. He make all the music basically more powerfull experiance than most of amps in this price range.
Ive heard new Utopia 2022 give quite a punch. From less know hp's Kennerton Vali could be something to check.
… you must hear the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition MK-II … if bass is your pursuit, this choice will bear fruit … 🤪.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #12,618 of 12,993
… you must hear the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition MK-II … if bass is your pursuit, this choice will bear fruit … 🤪.
And hows the overall sound quality on them? They good just for making bass or the rest i also gut?

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #12,619 of 12,993
And hows the overall sound quality on them? They good just for making bass or the rest i also gut?
The rest of FR is fine; very good soundstaging for a closed-back headphone.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #12,620 of 12,993
Nah, they are pretty fantastic imo. Best closed back for my ears. I prefer a slightly dark signature, and that's what you will get with these. They have a lot of character, a little warm, mids are wonderful, very good imaging, and bigger staging than I've heard in many open backs.
I don't find the bass to be huge or overwhelming by any means. It is elevated a fair amount above neutral, with excellent layering and speed. I'd describe them as being both a banger and velvet like - very enveloping within being directly up in your grill. I haven't heard another quite like it. I sold quite a few headphones to arrive here, including both the Focal Radiance and Clear MG, as well as the Denon ah-d9200.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #12,622 of 12,993
in my setup, SE1's bass didn't hit as hard as D8000, let alone 1266TC. stellia also seems less bassy than d9200. the heaviest bass besides 1266TC is WM90b from my experience. but 1266TC's bass rumbles so strongly that it's on another level altogether :L3000:

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #12,623 of 12,993
1266TC's bass rumbles so strongly that it's on another level altogether :L3000:

I've been reading a lot that they're second to none in this regard. I wonder though how much it takes to get the very best out of these cans.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #12,624 of 12,993
in my setup, SE1's bass didn't hit as hard as D8000, let alone 1266TC. stellia also seems less bassy than d9200. the heaviest bass besides 1266TC is WM90b from my experience. but 1266TC's bass rumbles so strongly that it's on another level altogether :L3000:
In my setup too. Finals just have more sub bass, that creates sense of more powerfull deeper sound. Pioneers are more snappy in the higher bass but have lower midrange done good. Every music, even that very heavy, seems sound right on them. But i prefer Final slightly i think, they are so full of music. For Masters, i gonna heave new cable for them, next week, 8 strand 7n copper with silver coating, and i see how this is gonna be.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #12,625 of 12,993
"1266TC's bass rumbles so strongly that it's on another level altogether " - another lvl bass rumble its a whats tigers likes the most! :D
Tigger_Well_he_asked_for_it.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #12,626 of 12,993
1679825419652.png

Technics RP-F1 vs HA-SZ2000
When granddad wants a word with you...

There's just over 20 years difference between these two (∼1991-2013)
Kind of amazing it took that long for any company to improve upon the RP-F1 dual-driver design.
(also kind of amazing nobody in this thread talks about them :wink: )

This was an interesting shootout.
F1 was my 'extreme bass' champion for a long time, but SZ-2000 now takes the cake. (we're talking insane, ++EQ'd levels of bass, not high quality stuff)
The main difference is that the RP-F1 doesn't desperately need EQ to sound good from the start, but can still take a very hefy bass boost.

I think the FP-F1 also stars exhibiting a lot of sub-bass harmonics instead of actual bass moved by insane amounts of air, which is what the SZ2000 manages to achieve.
That's not to say it can't go loud without distorting, because IT CAN!

For context, RP-F1's bass driver is almost completely sealed on the front-side and has a small direct port near the edge of the driver to the baffle/ear.
In the rear, it is fully open within it's 'closed-back' chamber, and has a very simple cup-port (at the gold accent below the name plate) like most Japanese studio/DJ closed-backs.
So it's nowhere near as complex as the quadruple-tube-ported (2 forward facing, 2 rear facing), double-chamber sub-woofer design of the SZ2000.

They share somewhat similar stock frequency responses, despite their many differences.
comparison Technics RP-F1 (Green) vs HA-SZ2000 (Grey).jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #12,627 of 12,993
I wish I could hear the WM90b but I can’t justify their price (cheapest I have seen is $4000) based on their simple design.

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #12,628 of 12,993
I wish I could hear the WM90b but I can’t justify their price (cheapest I have seen is $4000) based on their simple design.
Most of the price very likely comes from the use of rare 'preserved' bog water maple from Canada.
So it's definitely a high-end, lifestyle, statement piece, kinda like Audio Technica's special edition with artwork on the cups.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #12,629 of 12,993
Received the Hifiman HE-R9 today, just a few hours in. Running out of my DC03pro or Fiio e07k, all I can say is wow, head-shaking bass, no treble spike, no complaints. I find it hard to describe audio (it's either good or bad, bass or no bass), so if you've haven't found the right headphone yet and you haven't tried the R9's, I would say it's an easy recommend to at least give it a go.

So far in my basshead journey:

Sony WF-XB700 - true wireless, great for the gym, average/consumer level audio

QKZ x HBB Khan - wired IEM, an order of magnitude better than the sony, unbelievably low price. would take over most basshead IEMS (most of which are ridiculously overpriced). needs an amp

Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - portable bluetooth headphones, unbelievably underated, must enable ANC for bass, subbass is out of this world, head-shaking, crank the volume and enjoy. wired options are a little lacking (3.5mm sounds odd, usb-c has low max volume), so it's bluetooth only. build quality is really nice, comfortable fit.

Hifiman HE-R9 - stationary headphones, great price and in production, head-shaking bass, thicker/bigger sound than the sennheiser, more polite but still gets me dancing. easy to drive out of ordinary portable amps, light on the head. Hopefully I don't fall out with it for some reason

Honourable mentions (in no particular order):

Beyerdynamic 'bass' headphones: DT770, DT1770, Custom One Pro - it doesn't matter, they all fell short. I couldn't stand the treble, the bass was lacking. The Custom one pro was the closest to being OK, but even I could tell the driver's were struggling, music sounded congested/noisy/fuzzy

Sennheiser HD630VB - I honestly can't remember what was wrong with this one, but my records say I only had it a few weeks and it was sold.

Campfire Audio Cascade - really good, not worth the price, design is silly

Campfire Audio Atlas - also really good, also not worth the price

IMR Audio R1, R2, etc - these were good, could have kept them, hated the cable (didn't want to spend more on replacement cables)

Sony XB950AP - bass that massages your eardrums, very fun, very flawed midrange/treble. broke after a few years, out of production 😢

Sony xb55ap - good enough for the in-seat airplane entertainment, cheap

Various other 'non-bass' headphones over the years - I tried to live without the bass, I couldn't

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #12,630 of 12,993
Received the Hifiman HE-R9 today, just a few hours in. Running out of my DC03pro or Fiio e07k, all I can say is wow, head-shaking bass, no treble spike, no complaints. I find it hard to describe audio (it's either good or bad, bass or no bass), so if you've haven't found the right headphone yet and you haven't tried the R9's, I would say it's an easy recommend to at least give it a go.

So far in my basshead journey:

Sony WF-XB700 - true wireless, great for the gym, average/consumer level audio

QKZ x HBB Khan - wired IEM, an order of magnitude better than the sony, unbelievably low price. would take over most basshead IEMS (most of which are ridiculously overpriced). needs an amp

Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - portable bluetooth headphones, unbelievably underated, must enable ANC for bass, subbass is out of this world, head-shaking, crank the volume and enjoy. wired options are a little lacking (3.5mm sounds odd, usb-c has low max volume), so it's bluetooth only. build quality is really nice, comfortable fit.

Hifiman HE-R9 - stationary headphones, great price and in production, head-shaking bass, thicker/bigger sound than the sennheiser, more polite but still gets me dancing. easy to drive out of ordinary portable amps, light on the head. Hopefully I don't fall out with it for some reason

Honourable mentions (in no particular order):

Beyerdynamic 'bass' headphones: DT770, DT1770, Custom One Pro - it doesn't matter, they all fell short. I couldn't stand the treble, the bass was lacking. The Custom one pro was the closest to being OK, but even I could tell the driver's were struggling, music sounded congested/noisy/fuzzy

Sennheiser HD630VB - I honestly can't remember what was wrong with this one, but my records say I only had it a few weeks and it was sold.

Campfire Audio Cascade - really good, not worth the price, design is silly

Campfire Audio Atlas - also really good, also not worth the price

IMR Audio R1, R2, etc - these were good, could have kept them, hated the cable (didn't want to spend more on replacement cables)

Sony XB950AP - bass that massages your eardrums, very fun, very flawed midrange/treble. broke after a few years, out of production 😢

Sony xb55ap - good enough for the in-seat airplane entertainment, cheap

Various other 'non-bass' headphones over the years - I tried to live without the bass, I couldn't
So which one has more bass, Sennheiser Momentum 3 or Hifiman HE-R9 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back