The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #12,601 of 12,992
Thankyou very much, I will! I have portable amps like the A3 and the E12 which I was hoping would be enough power coming out of a Hiby R6 Pro?

The emu Teak aren't sold in the UK so they looked very difficult to source so, sadly they weren't in my options. But I'm very excited to try these!
The E12 should be plenty. The A3 might not produce the best results. I used one a few years ago with the legendary SZ2000K, and found it lacking. Got much better results from a Cayin C5 shortly after. I think that’s pretty close to an E12, but it’s been a while. I use a hip dac now and max it out on low gain easily, but it does fine on high gain. I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #12,602 of 12,992
I've just looked at these. I could maybe stretch to it if it's really worth it? Would they go into Hiby R6 and would it be able to drive them? I'd need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm converter right? Bit worried they're more studio kit headphones than for a DAP.

Also seen a lot of people talk about the Skullcandy Crusher Evo as something every basshead must try and they have me curious...

Also seen the Fostex THX 00 mooted as a good bass headphone upgrade from V Moda?
They have a detachable cable so you could do a 3.5 or 4.4. Yiur choice. R6 would drive them to the moon and back. Fostex might be an upgrade from the vmoda but i’m biassed. Had the m100 and was very disappointed, the lp2 if far better for bassheads.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #12,603 of 12,992
They have a detachable cable so you could do a 3.5 or 4.4. Yiur choice. R6 would drive them to the moon and back. Fostex might be an upgrade from the vmoda but i’m biassed. Had the m100 and was very disappointed, the lp2 if far better for bassheads.

Ah thanks. Interestingly I prefer the M100 as the LP2 seems way too dark and muddy after trying the M100.

I bought some Monoprice M1060C in the end but I will keep an eye out for any Black Friday deals on the Denons this year

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #12,604 of 12,992
Well the Monolith 1060c are going straight back.

They have just arrived after an excited wait all week for them and... they're broken. Straight out the box.

The cable is loose in one of the ear cup jacks which means the sound cuts out constantly if I so much as move my head or touch the wire.

I can physically see there's about a 1mm gap and the jack isn't fully flush. Flipping the cable over makes no difference as the same one cuts out, so it's obviously the jack connector and not the cable.

Gutted

Edit: okay so if I trap a bit of paper between the edge of the cup and the jack, it fixes the loose cable. It isn't ideal but it isn't cutting out any more. Will still see if they'll swap them though as it isn't ideal.

Getting down to the listening, they are a bit sparklier than I expected, it is definitely going to take time to get used to planar sound coming from V Modas

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #12,605 of 12,992
Well the Monolith 1060c are going straight back.

They have just arrived after an excited wait all week for them and... they're broken. Straight out the box.

The cable is loose in one of the ear cup jacks which means the sound cuts out constantly if I so much as move my head or touch the wire.

I can physically see there's about a 1mm gap and the jack isn't fully flush. Flipping the cable over makes no difference as the same one cuts out, so it's obviously the jack connector and not the cable.

So gutted.
That was abig issue when the monoprice planars first launched, I thought that had been fixed by now.

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #12,607 of 12,992
That was abig issue when the monoprice planars first launched, I thought that had been fixed by now.

To add insult to injury, the Monoprice EU store has shut down as of today. Says they're no longer operating the site. Hope they respond to my emails...

Sounds about right - people were saying the only downfall of Monoprice 1060c was QC. Price was crazy and SQ was crazy with the ability to also make it open and sound better than the original open version. However, I thought the issue was they were flimsy, I didn't know it would literally come broken - reminds me of my Sundara, but that was B-Stock.
Hope you either get a refund or replacement. Fingers crossed the company isn't just completely closed =\

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #12,608 of 12,992
Sounds about right - people were saying the only downfall of Monoprice 1060c was QC. Price was crazy and SQ was crazy with the ability to also make it open and sound better than the original open version. However, I thought the issue was they were flimsy, I didn't know it would literally come broken - reminds me of my Sundara, but that was B-Stock.
Hope you either get a refund or replacement. Fingers crossed the company isn't just completely closed =\
There's another message saying they're moving to Shopify so hopefully they still are operating and can replace them. No reply yet though.

I have to say though, I'm not too blown away so far. Even when the earcup is working these are not embarassed by the V Moda M100. The V Moda sounds a bit harsher and narrower in the mids by comparison, and maybe it is a bit deeper on the M1060c, but it isn't embarassing for the V Moda like I thought it could be. There's just as much detail in the V Moda except the bass kicks harder although there's less sub bass in the V Moda. You might say the 1060cs are more accurate, not adding bass where it shouldn't be, but the V Moda do slam harder overall. It's a tougher comparison than I expected.

Edit: When I turn EQs off completely on the Hiby R6, the V Modas stop kicking. But the M1060cs stay bassy. Which supports my previous theory that I was over-EQing to make my V modas kick. The 1060s tell me "stop EQing" as I can hear the clipping, and then deliver a natural slice of bass themselves without it.. The V moda aren't clear enough to hear the clipping unless you really torture the EQ, they just respond to EQing with a hard bass kick so you don't notice the clipping

Edit 2: fixed the loose headphone jack by trapping a bit of paper on the edge of the jack round the cable. LOL. It isn't in the hole it just stops it being loose. No cut out now! Will still see if they will replace anyway as it isn't an ideal thing to have to do..

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #12,609 of 12,992
I'm trying out a few, I found some ATH-PRO700MK2 in Japan for a good price and I have some TR-X00 Mahogany. The TR's hit harder as reported they are more V shaped so the mids are more recessed vs the PRO700. I just ordered TR-X00 Ebony, these are reported to be a bit flatter than the other TR-X00's

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #12,610 of 12,992
As a basshead, my winner is the Focal Stellia ( for now..) :) such a dynamic headphone, the bass hits are really physical, its crazy!! i doubt i will let this one go honestly.

i tried the meze99, trx-00 maho, lcd-x, zmf atticus, zmf auteur(+classic), hp-3 and many more ( altough, the other ones are less bass oriented ). the only one that really impressed me in those is the Atticus but it was missing some air and speed to me. the focal stellia has the fastest, most strongest bass ive heard. High quality bass, tight and controled... im in love! so much definition and details as well without being harsh .

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #12,611 of 12,992
As a basshead, my winner is the Focal Stellia ( for now..) :) such a dynamic headphone, the bass hits are really physical, its crazy!! i doubt i will let this one go honestly.

i tried the meze99, trx-00 maho, lcd-x, zmf atticus, zmf auteur(+classic), hp-3 and many more ( altough, the other ones are less bass oriented ). the only one that really impressed me in those is the Atticus but it was missing some air and speed to me. the focal stellia has the fastest, most strongest bass ive heard. High quality bass, tight and controled... im in love! so much definition and details as well without being harsh .
Then you probably didn't use EQ for a big boost in the lower regions 😉 Great headphones though 👍🏻

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #12,613 of 12,992
I recently picked up a set of planar headphones called the Bees from Nectar Sound. One man operation down in Georgia. These are bass monsters. Strong, thick and clear bass by the bucket load! But of course there is a catch: Mids and above are weak or non-existent.
And of course like any good planar, they love power. They really sing with my iFi Pro iCAN.

I did an initial two week trial and then put them away.

Mids and above being weak/missing is always a no-go for me, but I must admit that on certain songs they sound incredible. I had been thinking about making up a specific playlist accentuating their strengths. I have almost seven and a half thousand pieces of music. I am thinking that if I was willing to put in the time, I could create a 1,000 song playlist that would be awesome and make these shine.

I think I will dig into this idea this week. Bee1.jpgBee3.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #12,614 of 12,992
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #12,615 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back