The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #12,586 of 12,992
Off topic but you've sent me down a long youtube rabbit hole of "Truth" tunes. Hadn't heard of him before, but all of his stuff seems fantastic so far... awesome basslines. Cheers for that :)
Hit up the Deep Dark and Dangerous bandcamp page =]
The track the album I shared is from is part of a 3-part EP and it's completely insane.
The sub bass notes in them are so well done.
Truth is a duo and they're doing a lot of work for the darker Dubstep community - happy you liked it.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #12,588 of 12,992
I'm looking for basshead cans but fear I'm already maxed out.

I have V Moda M100, CFW1 and CFW2 paired with a Hiby R6 Pro and Fiio A3.

There is a nice bass thump with EQ but I have to jack the volume quite high. When I plug the Hiby into a stereo or something - without the A3 - the bass is overwhelming (although the stereo has its own sub), which suggests to my I'm over-EQing to get the V Modas to kick more. I can't listen via Bluetooth as they're so weedy on BT even with a Fiio BT3RK in between.

So is there a good option to deliver that kick in 2023? I read that balanced headphones have more power but I don't know if that would translate into more bass kick
D7200 join our cult!!!!!! Lol

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #12,591 of 12,992
Does anyone have the Hifiman Re9 or Meze 99? How do they stack up as basshead headphones with/without EQ?
The RE9 shouldn't be mentioned in basshead conversations. It's very light though which is cool - but no, it's not for bass.
Meze 99s are OK out of the box, nothing crazy like the Purplehearts, but react really well to EQ. Even just the HipDAC2 bass boost on high gain makes it come alive, but you can get quite a lot out of it with EQ.
Think you'll be pretty safe to grab one.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #12,592 of 12,992
D7200 join our cult!!!!!! Lol
I've just looked at these. I could maybe stretch to it if it's really worth it? Would they go into Hiby R6 and would it be able to drive them? I'd need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm converter right? Bit worried they're more studio kit headphones than for a DAP.

Also seen a lot of people talk about the Skullcandy Crusher Evo as something every basshead must try and they have me curious...

Also seen the Fostex THX 00 mooted as a good bass headphone upgrade from V Moda?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #12,593 of 12,992
Probably between £100 and £400 depending if it is worth it
For extreme bass, E-Mu Teak (or other wood) all the way. Fostex TH-X00 if you don’t mind buying used.

On the less extreme but still satisfactory side of things, I might recommend:

Hifiman Sundara closed
Monoprice M1070C
Kennerton Magni

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #12,594 of 12,992
For extreme bass, E-Mu Teak (or other wood) all the way. Fostex TH-X00 if you don’t mind buying used.

Hifiman Sundara closed
Monoprice M1070C
Kennerton

Hifiman Sundara closed
Monoprice M1070C
Kennerton Magni
Thanks!

I can't find E mu Teak in the UK so they might have to be off my list.

I am between Fostex, Monolith, Denon D2700 and Skullcandy Crusher Evo at the moment based on your suggestions and my research. I worry people say Sundaras aren't that bassy and the DT1990 someone else recommended look a bit hard to drive at 250ohms

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #12,595 of 12,992
I worry people say Sundaras aren't that bassy
it is not. but if you use PEQ then you can solve that to a degree. Still, if you want a bassier planar, the Fostex T20/40/50RP-MK3 is a much better headphone after you retune it a bit internally.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #12,596 of 12,992
it is not. but if you use PEQ then you can solve that to a degree. Still, if you want a bassier planar, the Fostex T20/40/50RP-MK3 is a much better headphone after you retune it a bit internally.

Ah okay. It would be quite novel to me to find a headphone that is decent out of the box as I am always rocking an amp or EQ setting all the time.

Looking at the Monoprice website, the closed back Monolith 1060c are just £190. How are they for bass? I am quire attracted to the idea of a 106mm driver size! Though I wonder why Amazon has the open back for £306 but closed for £190?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #12,597 of 12,992
Thanks!

I can't find E mu Teak in the UK so they might have to be off my list.

I am between Fostex, Monolith, Denon D2700 and Skullcandy Crusher Evo at the moment based on your suggestions and my research. I worry people say Sundaras aren't that bassy and the DT1990 someone else recommended look a bit hard to drive at 250ohms
The Skullcandy Crusher is a funny toy to play with once or twice, but I don't recommend it at all for someone looking for a daily driver kind of headphone. Its party trick is vibrators in the cups that turn on and off with the presence of audio below about 60Hz. It's fun a couple times, but eventually gets old. And if you look past the vibrator gimmick and at the audio quality itself, it isn't much better than a Monoprice Retro for 10% the cost.

The Crusher is good for a laugh, but in no way is it a headphone for audiophile bassheads. The fun comes from the vibrators, not the audio it produces.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #12,598 of 12,992
Okay I made my decision; I went for the Monoprice

Hifiman Sundara closed
Monoprice M1070C
Kennerton Magni

Thank you for your suggestions. I just found a good deal on the 1060c for £181 so I've gone for them.

My first ever Planar, first ever 100mm drivers, first ever studio headphones. I was swayed by reviews saying the closed back is a bit punchier for bass (and the deal).

I may still keep a look out for Denon D2700 next Black Friday depending how i get on with these

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #12,599 of 12,992
Okay I made my decision; I went for the Monol

Thank you for your suggestions. I just found a good deal on the 1060c for £181 so I've gone for them.

My first ever Planar, first ever 100mm drivers, first ever studio headphones. I was swayed by reviews saying the closed back is a bit punchier for bass (and the deal).

I may still keep a look out for Denon D2700 next Black Friday depending how i get on with these
That’s awesome! The big planars produce bass in a very special way, they’re hard to beat due to the sheer volume of air they move, even if they don’t have as much “impact” as you might get from a smaller dynamic headphone. Monoprice has some very good headphones for the money. I had an ananda, emu teak, and 1570C at the same time and sold the ananda and emu, with the 1570C coming out on top as the best all around headphone that could still produce quality/quantity in the bass department (though I do boost it up by +12 dB at 20 Hz using a Loki, it’s bass light for me without EQ). The 1570C just soaks up power too. Not sure about the 1060C, but a powerful amp should help you get the most out of them. I’m still on the fence about how I feel about burn in too, but I think the 1570Cs got better over time so keep that in mind. I’ve always wanted to try a D7200 though, almost got one recently, but went with a kennerton GH50 instead. I don’t think you could go wrong with the D7200, especially on sale. Everyone should have at least one dynamic and one planar headphone. Enjoy and be sure to report back once you take the 1060 for a spin!

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #12,600 of 12,992
That’s awesome! The big planars produce bass in a very special way, they’re hard to beat due to the sheer volume of air they move, even if they don’t have as much “impact” as you might get from a smaller dynamic headphone. Monoprice has some very good headphones for the money. I had an ananda, emu teak, and 1570C at the same time and sold the ananda and emu, with the 1570C coming out on top as the best all around headphone that could still produce quality/quantity in the bass department (though I do boost it up by +12 dB at 20 Hz using a Loki, it’s bass light for me without EQ). The 1570C just soaks up power too. Not sure about the 1060C, but a powerful amp should help you get the most out of them. I’m still on the fence about how I feel about burn in too, but I think the 1570Cs got better over time so keep that in mind. I’ve always wanted to try a D7200 though, almost got one recently, but went with a kennerton GH50 instead. I don’t think you could go wrong with the D7200, especially on sale. Everyone should have at least one dynamic and one planar headphone. Enjoy and be sure to report back once you take the 1060 for a spin!

Thankyou very much, I will! I have portable amps like the A3 and the E12 which I was hoping would be enough power coming out of a Hiby R6 Pro?

The emu Teak aren't sold in the UK so they looked very difficult to source so, sadly they weren't in my options. But I'm very excited to try these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back