The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 25, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #12,436 of 12,992
Do you have a go-to song for midbass testing? I have EMu Teak and D9200 hooked up currently. I know it's not the D7200 but perhaps it would help

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #12,437 of 12,992
Just found this searching "Emu Teak mid bass forum" : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/e-mu-teak-review-headphone.24824/page-7
"I've really enjoyed my E-MU Teak's over the past year, but I picked up the HiFiMan HE400se planar magnetic headphones while they were on sale for $129 at Apos (back to $149 now, but still good value at that price). Besides the horrible cable (which I've replaced), I love everything about them and find the sound to be competitive with the E-MU's in most areas, and superior in some…impressive given the price difference.

Agree with @mr.at that it's nice to have a few pairs with different sound, just to keep things interesting. It's why I still have the Grado RS2e's as well…not the most agreeable sound, but they are definitely unique. :)"

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #12,439 of 12,992

I feel like the Denon portrays it more realistically as the treble really accentuates it. The Denon feels brighter and more realistic while the EMu Teak is a little darker in comparison. EMu Teak still has some bloom which makes it feel like you're in a room or you have some reverb/echo, there's a sense of space and air. Denon feels like you are sitting right in front of the drum kit.

Pain lol not a fan of the tapping frequency at all

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #12,441 of 12,992
thanks! ill keep them in mind to try for the future just difficult for me to get since they are shipped from the US and are threfore a bit complicated to send back etc.

I just ordered a bunch of Headphones and will report back which one i choose

Meze 99 Classics
V-Moda Crossfade 2
Ultrasone 900i
And will still keep the denon dh 7200 here to compare
Okay after testing them all i like the vmoda crossfade 2 best for me. (without xl pads) i feel the xl pads add more space while the normal pads slam more. the others on this list are all too weak for me for what im looking for the Denon was certainly the best in the sub bass part very clean. but overall i liked the sound signature of the vmoda best for me. and i also get wireless if i ever travel.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #12,442 of 12,992
Okay after testing them all i like the vmoda crossfade 2 best for me. (without xl pads) i feel the xl pads add more space while the normal pads slam more. the others on this list are all too weak for me for what im looking for the Denon was certainly the best in the sub bass part very clean. but overall i liked the sound signature of the vmoda best for me. and i also get wireless if i ever travel.
Great choice. IMO, They sound even better when EQ is applied to taste.
The build quality is excellent.
For portability with no amplification needed, they are hard to beat in the slam department.

20220620_014729.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #12,443 of 12,992
Great choice. IMO, They sound even better when EQ is applied to taste.
The build quality is excellent.
For portability with no amplification needed, they are hard to beat in the slam department.

20220620_014729.jpg
Did you test the crossfade 3 ? they came out few months ago and was wondering what the differences in sound were if anybody tried them yet in comparision with the crossfade 2

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #12,444 of 12,992
Did you test the crossfade 3 ? they came out few months ago and was wondering what the differences in sound were if anybody tried them yet in comparision with the crossfade 2
I have not.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #12,445 of 12,992
Sorry this is a bit lazy, but this thread is long ha. I'm looking very specifically for a $500 or less headphone set that excels in bass and dynamics. This will be for movies in a home theater. I have a 3yo daughter and a newborn, so long gone are the days I can watch movies at reference levels. I'm looking for (in this order of importance) bass + dynamic ability, good soundstage, and "good enough" mids and highs. I will be applying EQ, so I don't necessarily need a strong native bass tuning, just capable drivers.

Picture for attention, this is what I'm up against ha. This is my speaker set up behind an AT projector screen.

IMG_20180101_121023.jpg

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #12,446 of 12,992
Nov 5, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #12,447 of 12,992
Same here. Grew up in the Netherlands with function 1 sound systems in clubs and festivals. TH900 comes damn close for a headphone, but only with a sick bass boost. I use my computer (EQ APO) with a 16 DB boost in that region, then a RME ADI-2 DAC with a 12 DB boost in the bass region and to top it of all of this goes into my iFi Pro iCAN with the Xbass boost to the max on 40hz. Bass is just insane. I mostly listen to EDM. Only headphone that tops the bass quality is my HE6se v2. That thing sounds crazy good with the right amplification (bass and sound quality is jaw dropping) but is open if course. And when I really want to go mad on my skull I grab my JVC HA SZ2000.
ok so HE6se v2 over the X2. Can others pls confirm? I am hearing many people say they need more bass in the X2. Can anyone explain why opinions are so opposite?

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #12,448 of 12,992
I didn't read the end of the comment, which answers my question. :L3000:

TLDR: You need the right equalization and for some headphones also the right amplification to get to the bass levels I and many more in this topic crave. But most of the people judge headphones how they sound out of the box with no equalization. And yes the TH900 and many other headphones sound rather dull and boring in the bass regions. I can't listen to cans and IEMs anymore without EQ. it just makes the listening sensation way more intense. Like it was meant to be.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #12,449 of 12,992
I think I'm ready to say that the Edition XS is the best all around planar tuning wise and capability wise for every genre under $2000 that I've heard without EQ. I know that sounds a little nuts, but they just nail it for me personally. Not gonna just up and get rid of my HEKse or my HE6se v2 but they're definitely both going to get less use now that I have the Edition XS.

Ananda is a crappy headphone for the price. Like it all you want, it's not worth nearly the money it costs. Pricing it by ear, I'd put a $300 price tag on it. They're tuned like trash.
Sundara, same story. Boring tuning and bad imaging (I won't budge on the imaging inaccuracies, they're there.) Worth $200 at best IMO.
LCD-X needs EQ to be great but is still decent, and I wholeheartedly think the Edition XS stomps the LCD-X even after EQ.
I haven't heard the Arya stealth but I owned the original for about 2 years and eventually sold it. I think these are all around better with the Arya maybe barely edging the XS out on resolution alone. But again, I'm going from memory and the XS is incredibly resolving on a capable amp. Arya MSRP is $1600.
Edition X v2 I liked and also owned for about 2 years. This is an all around upgrade and considering the original MSRP of $1300, the XS starts showing how good of a deal it is.
HE6se V2 is more resolving but only when plugged directly into an actual bolt of lightning for power and opinions aside, anyone that thinks they're hearing what an HE6 has to offer off of a sub $1000 amp is just plain wrong. But the XS beats out the HE6 on everything but fully scaled resolution and I guess rumble but only if you've pad swapped.

They do it all. Very well extended bass, better mid tuning than basically any Hifiman under $3500, very detailed treble without being fatiguing, huge soundstage with immaculate separation, amazing timbre, capable of very decent amounts of slam and rumble, comfortable fit (I hated the headband on every circle can hifiman I've ever owned but it seems fine on the egg shaped cups where the clamp force alleviates some of the weight), light weight, very forgiving of source gear but also has the ability to scale like crazy and one of the most linear and well defined soundstages I've ever heard without coming off as exaggerated like the OG Arya or something like the HD800s while still maintaining the ability to have inside your head level intimate vocals when called for. Soundstage has a rear imaging and capability of something like an Audeze but massively bigger and with those amazing vertical imaging capabilities that hifiman egg shaped cans are known for. There is no headphone currently on the market that comes close to doing all of this at the same time without EQ for the price or even under $2000 IMO. I hate to be all "matter of facty" about it but it really is that cut and dry of a case if you ask me. These things will astonish anyone that tries them. I was blown away and have some pretty high end planars. I think these could be the majority of peoples endgame headphones (especially if you aren't willing to spend thousands on a pair of headphones) provided they aren't gimping them with bad source gear but even then they'll perform extremely well and will just keep getting better with source upgrades. Power requirements aren't huge at all either, was able to get them decently loud off of an Xbox One controller when I tested it but if you're using something like Dolby Atmos on the Xbox, it might have enough negative gain to be too quiet for some people. I have some custom pads in the works that I'm going to try on these and see if they can edge them closer to that dynamic driver level of slam but they're honestly not all that far off with my Burson Soloist 3X with super charger giving them some good juice (and slightly v-shaped opamps). If you're wondering what headphones you should get at any price under $300 I would say don't waste your time and effort and save for these. I wasn't at all prepared for these to be this good but I hope everyone gets them and stops talking about the Sundaras for good.

Don't think. Just buy them.

There is zero chance you're disappointed and if you somehow don't like them I'd probably buy them off of you as a gift for someone with functioning ears.

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #12,450 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back