The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 28, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #12,016 of 12,972
And yes, for me, the added processing that often happens from mixing engineers is not necessarily a plus.
Live sound engineers also sometimes get it very wrong.
The last time I went to a small rock concert in London, I brought my ear plugs.

At one point I decided to take the plugs out to make a comparison and the 'live' sound was absolutely horrid. Overblown frequencies everywhere especially the treble, which was piercingly loud beyond reason.

As soon as I put my ear plugs back in, JUST LIKE THE LIVE ENGINEER, the sound was relatively balanced and 'normal' as he was tuning for the attenuated frequencies caused by his ear plugs.

It's not the best example, just an extreme one, but it goes to show that there are so many different situations and points of view to consider.

May 28, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #12,017 of 12,972
Yep...sound engineers can often mess things up -- live or in studio -- which is why your point about 'tuning to your [own] taste' is so valid to my way of thinking.

I've been in similar situations for small rock clubs and ended up leaving a few times -- didn't have ear plugs.

May 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #12,018 of 12,972
Live sound engineers also sometimes get it very wrong.
The last time I went to a small rock concert in London, I brought my ear plugs.

At one point I decided to take the plugs out to make a comparison and the 'live' sound was absolutely horrid. Overblown frequencies everywhere especially the treble, which was piercingly loud beyond reason.

As soon as I put my ear plugs back in, JUST LIKE THE LIVE ENGINEER, the sound was relatively balanced and 'normal' as he was tuning for the attenuated frequencies caused by his ear plugs.

It's not the best example, just an extreme one, but it goes to show that there are so many different situations and points of view to consider.

Yep...sound engineers can often mess things up -- live or in studio -- which is why your point about 'tuning to your [own] taste' is so valid to my way of thinking.

I've been in similar situations for small rock clubs and ended up leaving a few times -- didn't have ear plugs.

I couldn't agree with you gents more. Maybe it means I don't get into the audiophile club but I don't listen to music for the engineer's enjoyment, or even for the original artist's, I listen for my own enjoyment. If listening to music that is flat and what I consider boring is what's needed to hear it "as it was intended" or "accurate" then I don't want in the club anyway, lol.

May 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #12,019 of 12,972
May 28, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #12,020 of 12,972
I think that also depends on the music you hear, I was looking foward to buy the Senn's HD 650, but I almost listen every day to electronic music (progressive house), if the headphones cannot reproduce the sub bass or make it reccesed there is a lot missing in the playback that spoils the experience. I don't think that the producer of electronic music is not taking in account a large sub woofer when listening to their tracks.

I'm really enjoying the V-Moda M-100, really glad for buying this headphones, they cause literally no fatigue and have a huge sub bass with cristal mids and trebles, wish that V-Moda re make them, compared to the Sennheiser HD 25 it's almost funny that those are de industry DJ "standard", been so mucho worse in ALL aspects

May 28, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #12,021 of 12,972
You'll notice that Vmoda gets very little coverage on this site, that's because they are not considered audiophile grade headphones. Like I've said in the past, most folks on this site are after that FLAT sound, or those sharper highs from open backs, it's the reason Sennheiser cans are so popular.

But I tell you what, most of us in this thread, are bassheads, and we want punch, the kind that wakes you up and feel alive. In my experience, when you pair Vmoda cans with a good amp and dac, it really makes them deliver!

And I also agree with the mentality of, we don't listen to make the sound engineers happy, we listen to make us happy. And as long as we are happy with our sources and our headphones, that's all that matters.

I'm glad your enjoying your Vmoda cans, I also hope your going to be enjoying them with a Wicked Cushions upgrade, and a headband cushion for greater comfort. Just don't forget to condition your pads every 6-months to extend their life.

May 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #12,023 of 12,972
I'm a bass lover because I'm DJ of progressive house music, bass is everything in this music. I bought the sennheiser HD 280. Literally no bass. The Sennheiser HD 25 also were a big deception for me. No sub bass at all.

Finally I bought the HDJ X10 from Pioneer, again I fail... they have good bass... but for me is still not enough. After 1000 hours of burn in they now slap a bit, but they don't have emfashis on the bass, it's just there. Maybe my next step will be the V-Moda Crossfader 2 CODEX, all the review are OK in bass extension and emphasis.
You deserve the king of bass man. Go for the JVC HA SZ 2000. You will feel like there are two club PAs attached to your ears. It shakes your head literally. No joking. Same as the hardest car audio subwoofer

May 29, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #12,024 of 12,972
That’s what I want to hear! But I would assume the same about the LCD-X and to be honest, it was only better. But not from a different planet better
Well, I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations, but it is much better definitely. I also did not like the LCD-X, the bass is quite decent, but everything else is pretty average. I think it is overrated.

May 29, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #12,025 of 12,972
Well, I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations, but it is much better definitely. I also did not like the LCD-X, the bass is quite decent, but everything else is pretty average. I think it is overrated.
I MUST have got a bad set. The bass was so lacking. When I EQ’d it was there, but it wasn’t punchy or slamming at all
Also, you brought them up in the metal thread so that gives me the impression they are fast. I’ve seen some headphones can be better for slower sludgy stuff, but I need something that’s going to be keeping up with double bass kick drum mayhem

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #12,026 of 12,972
I think that also depends on the music you hear, I was looking foward to buy the Senn's HD 650, but I almost listen every day to electronic music (progressive house), if the headphones cannot reproduce the sub bass or make it reccesed there is a lot missing in the playback that spoils the experience. I don't think that the producer of electronic music is not taking in account a large sub woofer when listening to their tracks.

I'm really enjoying the V-Moda M-100, really glad for buying this headphones, they cause literally no fatigue and have a huge sub bass with cristal mids and trebles, wish that V-Moda re make them, compared to the Sennheiser HD 25 it's almost funny that those are de industry DJ "standard", been so mucho worse in ALL aspects
How'd you position HD25 over your ears? I've never gotten ear-piercing treble from it and especially a lack of subbass. My AD900x and K701 lack subbass, HD25 does not to my ears, and I also have M100. M100's resolution isn't up to par with HD25's, either. I also modified my HD25 many years ago in a manner similar to what KustomCanzUK advises and sells a mass-loading kit for. However, part of their mod includes taming HD25's bass, which I would never do.

May 31, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #12,027 of 12,972
I try them in all positions, i don't hear any rumble in the bass with the HD 25, they have a good mid bass, tho, I understand that with that mid bass hump it's a cool tool for mixing cause you can beatmatch with that frequency (also have almost no decay on that freq), but for me the sound is not engaiging, that mid bass without rumble doesn't make the bass sound round and deep enough. The m-100 have the same amount of mid bass but with the rumble added. Obviusly the over ear design helps.

As i said before i found the trebles harsh , but the worse part for me are the mids, i found them really fatiguing and to foward compared to the rest of the spectrum. Also i think there is a great peak in the high-mids bleeding to the highs making the whole signature too harsh but with a lot of detail, again this is cool for mixing with cymbals and high frequencies, but i prefere a "dark" signature.

Maybe they are a great mixing headphone but i can't stand listening to them for a whole day, I prefere a mixing DJ headphone that allow's me to do both things.

Cheers.

May 31, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #12,028 of 12,972
I MUST have got a bad set. The bass was so lacking. When I EQ’d it was there, but it wasn’t punchy or slamming at all
Also, you brought them up in the metal thread so that gives me the impression they are fast. I’ve seen some headphones can be better for slower sludgy stuff, but I need something that’s going to be keeping up with double bass kick drum mayhem
Out of curiosity do you know what revision you had? Seems to me like Audeze QC was quite terrible up until recently.

May 31, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #12,029 of 12,972
Out of curiosity do you know what revision you had? Seems to me like Audeze QC was quite terrible up until recently.
It was the 2021 revision, manufactured within the last couple months.

the seller said it was most likely due to the amps I was using. I tried it on a Universal Audio Apollo mk II and also a monoprice monolith portable.

After seeing countless others say it is good in the bass dept. I’m convinced that I got a bad set

May 31, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #12,030 of 12,972
I try them in all positions, i don't hear any rumble in the bass with the HD 25, they have a good mid bass, tho, I understand that with that mid bass hump it's a cool tool for mixing cause you can beatmatch with that frequency (also have almost no decay on that freq), but for me the sound is not engaiging, that mid bass without rumble doesn't make the bass sound round and deep enough. The m-100 have the same amount of mid bass but with the rumble added. Obviusly the over ear design helps.

As i said before i found the trebles harsh , but the worse part for me are the mids, i found them really fatiguing and to foward compared to the rest of the spectrum. Also i think there is a great peak in the high-mids bleeding to the highs making the whole signature too harsh but with a lot of detail, again this is cool for mixing with cymbals and high frequencies, but i prefere a "dark" signature.

Maybe they are a great mixing headphone but i can't stand listening to them for a whole day, I prefere a mixing DJ headphone that allow's me to do both things.

Cheers.
HD25 has rumble for me, M100 has more. More midbass and subbass, the most of anything else I own. I get flat, natural midrange from HD25, that's part of what I love about it. Only my Beyerdynamic T50p has close to as much bass as M100, but the VModa is still noticeably more, freaking bass cannon. Loads of fun. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back