The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 22, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #11,986 of 12,974
Why was the OP banned? When did that happen?
I was wondering where his posts went. He kept this thread alive for years. Why ban him?

May 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #11,988 of 12,974
You are making me think long and hard about the T5.3. My Purplehearts broke after many of great service. I’ve been going thinking about the Cascade but my favorite open back headphone was the 1990 Pro so im leaning towards the Beyers.
What kind of music do you listen to? When it comes to recommendations for metal and rock, I would have no idea from a bass standpoint since I don't listen to those genres. I also don't listen to rap. I listen primarily to EDM and Hip-Hop so that's where my recs are coming from.

I have owned the AT WP900 for a couple of months now and think the bass is fantastic. They are very amp dependent. For instance, I started listening to them with the Violectric V200 and the sibilance was too much for me even with the Loki. I almost returned them. Then I used the Liquid Carbon. What a huge difference! The highs were so much better and I only needed to make a small adjustment with the Loki. I also crank up the subbass with the Loki and it sounds glorious.

Having said all that - I still prefer the T5P 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen. But they are very polarizing - some people love them and some people hate them. But you really can't go wrong with the 3rd Gen from a bass perspective.

May 23, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #11,989 of 12,974
Well, the creator of this thread had some pretty extreme views on what was bass or not. Personally, I don't care about moving a piece of paper. :)

I tried searching this thread for the Ether 2, but came up empty, so:

My headphone bass journey was UE Triple.fi, Ultrasone Pro 900, TH-X00 Ebony and now the Ether 2 (with some EQ).

The Fostex headphones massages your soul, but I've never had bass physically massage my eardrums like the Ether 2 does! It's not just the sound, you do feel actual pressure from the bass on your ear. Still not quite sure how, because a dynamic driver moves an entire big membrane (and thus more air, I'd think), while the planar drivers of the Ether 2 just vibrates some very thin strips of metal, and they're open back on top of that! Anyway, it's really something to be experienced and I think I've reached my end-game (build quality also plays into that decision, though).

May 23, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #11,990 of 12,974
Well, the creator of this thread had some pretty extreme views on what was bass or not. Personally, I don't care about moving a piece of paper. :)

I tried searching this thread for the Ether 2, but came up empty, so:

My headphone bass journey was UE Triple.fi, Ultrasone Pro 900, TH-X00 Ebony and now the Ether 2 (with some EQ).

The Fostex headphones massages your soul, but I've never had bass physically massage my eardrums like the Ether 2 does! It's not just the sound, you do feel actual pressure from the bass on your ear. Still not quite sure how, because a dynamic driver moves an entire big membrane (and thus more air, I'd think), while the planar drivers of the Ether 2 just vibrates some very thin strips of metal, and they're open back on top of that! Anyway, it's really something to be experienced and I think I've reached my end-game (build quality also plays into that decision, though).

Glad you found your bass end game. Planar bass is some of the best bass around. I currently use an open back modded M1060C, a modded closed back M1060C, and a GL2000 to give my inner basshead his fix. All three are planars, 2 of which are open back (I also use EQ).

It's funny though, you said you didn't care about moving a piece of paper, but then go on to say "It's not just the sound, you do feel actual pressure from the bass on your ear." That is exactly the point of the paper test, to see if the driver is capable of moving enough air as to give your head that actual pressure. If the Ether 2 is giving you that feeling, it would probably do well in a paper test.

May 23, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #11,991 of 12,974
It's funny though, you said you didn't care about moving a piece of paper, but then go on to say "It's not just the sound, you do feel actual pressure from the bass on your ear." That is exactly the point of the paper test, to see if the driver is capable of moving enough air as to give your head that actual pressure. If the Ether 2 is giving you that feeling, it would probably do well in a paper test.

Ah, I must admit never really understood that because although I've listened to the TH900 (which is paper tested on page 1) and got a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, I never physically felt anything in my ear... probably because I listen at sane volumes. :) However, even at low volumes, I do feel the Ether 2 (using +3.8db EQ at the lowest end and then easing it out). Too expensive to do a paper test on, though!

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #11,993 of 12,974
Glad you found your bass end game. Planar bass is some of the best bass around. I currently use an open back modded M1060C, a modded closed back M1060C, and a GL2000 to give my inner basshead his fix. All three are planars, 2 of which are open back (I also use EQ).

Yeah that moment where you will push the headphones to make the paper move! XD I really do miss my XB1k/SZ1k and doing those tests.
Nothing like risking blowing up those eardrums with BASS.
The whole point of this thread :D

May 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #11,994 of 12,974
Having said all that - I still prefer the T5P 2nd Gen over the 3rd Gen. But they are very polarizing - some people love them and some people hate them. But you really can't go wrong with the 3rd Gen from a bass perspective.
I have the T5 3rd and the T5P 2nd. I have also owned the Teaks, Mahoganys and Purplehearts but not the Ebonys. As a long-time bass head, I have also owned the SZ2000 twice, the TH-900, Z1R and Campfire Cascades among many other bass head cans. By far my favorite presentation of bass comes from the 2 Beyers. I have also owned the T1 but, as open-backs, they just don't bring the deep slam that the closed backs do. The T5 3rd has the deeper subbass extension than the 2nd gen but not by a whole lot. Keep in mind that I use a Loki to add extra bass to both of them. They take the EQ beautifully. There are numerous times that I feel like the couch is shaking underneath me and kind of look around to see if something else did that :beyersmile:.
Have you tried the T5 1st gen? How does it compare? I've only heard the first gen and it was awful. Uber flabby and terribly mediocre sound, even if it was a sub-$200 can.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #11,995 of 12,974
Have you tried the T5 1st gen? How does it compare? I've only heard the first gen and it was awful. Uber flabby and terribly mediocre sound, even if it was a sub-$200 can.
No, I have never tried them.

May 24, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #11,996 of 12,974
I just found a pair of used m100 from v moda. They arrive in a week. I pray that they are a good call for a bass heas, i almost read 600 pages of they thread in this forum jajaja
Few headphones have more bass than M100.

May 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #11,998 of 12,974
Thank you to the ones who recommended OneOdio! I just received these...immediately bought a second pair. For some reason, only 1 in 20 of these have the thick pads. $40 for set, with $40 pads included. BASSSSSSSSSSSS ...and everything else.
Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393214224757?epid=6039073222&hash=item5b8d64e975:g:I9wAAOSwZ5tgWVKH&LH_BIN=1

Glad someone is experiencing these great cans. The reason for the pads is , only the top and middle model of them have thick pads. Unfortunately the top model is also the least bassy. The lowest and middle tier have more bass.
Thank you to the ones who recommended OneOdio! I just received these...immediately bought a second pair. For some reason, only 1 in 20 of these have the thick pads. $40 for set, with $40 pads included. BASSSSSSSSSSSS ...and everything else.
Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393214224757?epid=6039073222&hash=item5b8d64e975:g:I9wAAOSwZ5tgWVKH&LH_BIN=1

one more thing, if you got them from that ebay link, you git the top tier. The listing description (wording), is the the bottom tier though lol. You lucked out.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #12,000 of 12,974
Do bass heavy headphones extend the bass that is not there ....
Could you try to be a bit more specific with the first part of your question? It doesn't make a lot of sense.
... If there is no bass in the recording, there will be no bass in the headphone... o_0

..... or is it that most headphones do not reproduce the bass accurately and is lacking?
There are headphones that exist that reproduce bass accurately without lacking... although the 'lacking' part is very subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back