The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11,252 of 12,992
I wonder how many mid bass heavy headphones are being recommended to people who love sub-bass (these people might find those headphones too boomy)...and how many members who are looking for mid bass slam/boom are going to be disappointed with a model that focuses on the sub-bass (will they like the TH900??).

Jun 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #11,253 of 12,992
I wonder how many mid bass heavy headphones are being recommended to people who love sub-bass (these people might find those headphones too boomy)...and how many members who are looking for mid bass slam/boom are going to be disappointed with a model that focuses on the sub-bass (will they like the TH900??).
Yeah I suppose there should be a clear differentiation when people recommend bassy headphones. Do you want to feel your head rattle off your body, or do you want to feel like your’re being launched into space and your ears are going to explode! People ought to know...

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #11,254 of 12,992
I was referring to $150 for my DT 770's, I also paid over $500 for my TR-X00's :)

That's the problem, I don't have money to waste, so I feel really really awful if I'm not 100% satisfied.

Part of me wants to return the 770's for the M100's, but I know they have their downsides as well.

Edit: The 770's are peaking without EQ in nearly every track, lmao. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Deleted the screenshot as it was incorrect, but pre-amping did go to -1 with normal listening, I guess I do need an amp regardless of what I decide to do.

Nvm it's correct, I thought it was possibly wrong due to turning Peace EQ off, but it's the same.
If you have a DT 770 PRO, and a TR-X00, I think you're pretty much covered in the bass + fun department. If you want a bit more quality in the lows, you're going to have to step up to the next rung in the headphone ladder - the sub $1,000 mark. Beyond that, there are only a handful of options that exist to provide a truly basshead-friendly experience, IMO.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #11,255 of 12,992
If you have a DT 770 PRO, and a TR-X00, I think you're pretty much covered in the bass + fun department. If you want a bit more quality in the lows, you're going to have to step up to the next rung in the headphone ladder - the sub $1,000 mark. Beyond that, there are only a handful of options that exist to provide a truly basshead-friendly experience, IMO.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm seeing here, a lot of the older recommended models are discontinued as well. The Kannon's seem like a really fun pair of headphones, but the reviews are quite mixed for a $500 pair of headphones. I think the only upgrade that would satisfy me around the $500 mark based on my love for the X00's would be the Teak's. If the TR-X00's were still being sold I'd probably add a pair of PH to my collection and be done :smirk:

I suppose I tend to favor sub bass over mid bass.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #11,257 of 12,992
The Sennheiser HD 8 DJ rattles my eyeballs.
Agreed. Outside of the Momentum line, I think the HD8 DJ has the most generous mid-bass boost in Sennheiser's lineup. I've only tried it once, along with the HD6 and the HD7, and I found it to be pretty good, albeit a little expensive. At that point in time, I was searching for a DJ headphone, but I ended up with the Pioneer HDJ-1500 instead.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #11,258 of 12,992
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm seeing here, a lot of the older recommended models are discontinued as well. The Kannon's seem like a really fun pair of headphones, but the reviews are quite mixed for a $500 pair of headphones. I think the only upgrade that would satisfy me around the $500 mark based on my love for the X00's would be the Teak's. If the TR-X00's were still being sold I'd probably add a pair of PH to my collection and be done :smirk:

I suppose I tend to favor sub bass over mid bass.
Speaking of Fostex, I wish that they would do a new drop for the TR-X00. I missed out on the chance to grab one before, so I'm eagerly awaiting the day that they go back on sale. They'll probably be sold out in a couple of weeks.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #11,260 of 12,992
Speaking of Fostex, I wish that they would do a new drop for the TR-X00. I missed out on the chance to grab one before, so I'm eagerly awaiting the day that they go back on sale. They'll probably be sold out in a couple of weeks.

I read somewhere (I think in one of the threads there) that they will not be selling Fostex anymore. Not sure why...I got distracted and I never went back to finish reading all the way to the end.

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #11,261 of 12,992
Agreed. Outside of the Momentum line, I think the HD8 DJ has the most generous mid-bass boost in Sennheiser's lineup. I've only tried it once, along with the HD6 and the HD7, and I found it to be pretty good, albeit a little expensive. At that point in time, I was searching for a DJ headphone, but I ended up with the Pioneer HDJ-1500 instead.

I was quite blessed, a few weeks ago, to stumble upon the HD 8 DJ from the Amazon Warehouse described as "Condition: Used - Good - Small cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item. Item will come repackaged," for a paltry $148! When it arrived, it had no cosmetic imperfections whatsoever, the only flaw being a missing straight cable (but still included the coiled cable). I was quite surprised, as I've heard a few horror stories about Amazon Warehouse.

The HD 8 DJ was my initiation into nice headphones, and will forever hold a special place in my memories—especially for that price! EQ'd, too, it can turn that eyeball-rattling bass up a few notches, while retaining crisp mids and highs.

I've since gone on to buy Sennheiser's HD 6XX, which, when EQ'd per some settings I've found on reddit, has become quite a surprising head-vibration machine itself!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #11,262 of 12,992
What are your thoughts on HDJ1.5K? I am eyeing those too, but not sure if they lack refinement & resolution. Also, being marketed as DJ headphones, kinda screams lacking any finesse :p
Hmm, they were average, with decent technicalities. They sounded a bit clearer than its predecessor, the HDJ-1000. The HDJ-2000 was the best of that bunch, though. If you're using them for mixing, I'd say that the HDJ-1500 would suffice; however, for general music listening, I'd pass, unless I could get a change of pads.

If you are looking at a DJ headphone, Pioneer has a new range available. I haven't heard any of these models, though, since I'd have to take a trip down to the local DJ store to try them out.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #11,263 of 12,992
I read somewhere (I think in one of the threads there) that they will not be selling Fostex anymore. Not sure why...I got distracted and I never went back to finish reading all the way to the end.
That's too bad; it's a highly-requested headphone on Drop, so I hope someone's listening.

For the fans, I think that the alternative choice would be the E-MU Teak. At least that one's still available.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #11,264 of 12,992
I was quite blessed, a few weeks ago, to stumble upon the HD 8 DJ from the Amazon Warehouse described as "Condition: Used - Good - Small cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item. Item will come repackaged," for a paltry $148! When it arrived, it had no cosmetic imperfections whatsoever, the only flaw being a missing straight cable (but still included the coiled cable). I was quite surprised, as I've heard a few horror stories about Amazon Warehouse.

The HD 8 DJ was my initiation into nice headphones, and will forever hold a special place in my memories—especially for that price! EQ'd, too, it can turn that eyeball-rattling bass up a few notches, while retaining crisp mids and highs.

I've since gone on to buy Sennheiser's HD 6XX, which, when EQ'd per some settings I've found on reddit, has become quite a surprising head-vibration machine itself!
Be careful, this hobby is a slippery slope, If you don't watch your step, you might tumble into the abyss. :smiling_imp:

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #11,265 of 12,992
That's too bad; it's a highly-requested headphone on Drop, so I hope someone's listening.

For the fans, I think that the alternative choice would be the E-MU Teak. At least that one's still available.
The EMU is a good alternative. You can still order them via EMUs service page along with purple heart or ebony cups. I ordered a pair of TH900 drivers and will be shoving them in there. I did the same for my X00 purple heart and ebony, the 900 drivers make them so more punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back