The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 15, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #11,221 of 12,992
Gents, greatly appreciate the discussion (and the Vesper Audio link!). Didn't know about them!

I've been bandying about the idea of the E-MU Teaks for a while now, but a post on the E-MU thread indicates that the Atticus might best it for overall bass. I already have the wooden Argon T60, which are lovely, but I'm hoping to find even more bass and am backfilling the Argon T60 with a T50 Mk2 to keep that wide fun, then swap the T60 for a higher-end dynamic or biodyna.

Can anyone here speak to more detail on the ZMF line versus the Teak for bass enjoyment and personal opinions? I love reading your takes!

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #11,222 of 12,992
Well, the TH-900 might be the best to some, but not everyone likes the king of bass.

Look at this: https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th

Perhaps you did make a couple of "mistakes" -- we all have. You can still sell a couple of those headphones, bite the bullet, save some money and get something you will really like. I don't think you need to get a brand new TH900 to be truly happy. You could buy used...and you could get an E-Mu or TH-X00 instead of a TH900.

I think it is better to suffer now (sell and ship headphones, spend more money) so you can remove that nagging feeling that your equipment is not satisfactory and that there is something out there that would make you happier.
Really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #11,223 of 12,992
Gents, greatly appreciate the discussion (and the Vesper Audio link!). Didn't know about them!

I've been bandying about the idea of the E-MU Teaks for a while now, but a post on the E-MU thread indicates that the Atticus might best it for overall bass. I already have the wooden Argon T60, which are lovely, but I'm hoping to find even more bass and am backfilling the Argon T60 with a T50 Mk2 to keep that wide fun, then swap the T60 for a higher-end dynamic or biodyna.

Can anyone here speak to more detail on the ZMF line versus the Teak for bass enjoyment and personal opinions? I love reading your takes!
I've never compared the E-MU Teak and the Atticus together before; my listening time between the 2 was split several months apart.

From memory, the 2 have similar mid-bass quantity; in fact, I think the Teak was a smidgen less heavy overall. It was also the cleaner of the 2. The Atticus had a lusher overall signature. I'll be sure to compare these 2 soon, once the lockdown ends.

If it helps, I think the Teak is a great headphone. It is also a lot cheaper than the Atticus.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #11,225 of 12,992
Has anyone tried the JVC HA XP50BT? they seem to be top of the line for the JVC bass headphones. My experience with the XX in ears has been somewhat underwhelming. Anyone?

Best advice is to steer clear from JVC at this point in time. JVC used to be a good company and made quality products, they produce nothing but crap now days. Those headphones you were asking about are Beats rip off's with slight variations. They most certainly don't sound anything like the JVC SZ series did. If your looking for a bass heavy can that slams with a quality amp and some EQ, V-Moda LP2's are an affordable option. Like I said, steer clear from JVC.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #11,226 of 12,992
Best advice is to steer clear from JVC at this point in time. JVC used to be a good company and made quality products, they produce nothing but crap now days.
They actually still produce some very good headphones today, but some of them are only reserved for the Japanese market like the HA-SD7 SOLIDEDGE.

They also sell 2 high-end headphones with wood drivers, HA-SHR01 and HA-SHR02.
There isn't a great deal of information on those, since most people aren't willing to risk buying 'blind' from overseas without an audition.

Then there's their current flagship headphone HA-WM90-B, which sells for around $3500.

Also, probably their most important current headphone the HA-MX100-Z is the best studio headphone they've ever made.
It's rediculously over-engineered and is the definition of a 'precision tool'.

I don't think any of these particular models have a place in this thread going by what I've read about them, but to generalize the entire company as "producing nothing but crap now" is very far from the truth :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #11,227 of 12,992
They actually still produce some very good headphones today, but some of them are only reserved for the Japanese market like the HA-SD7 SOLIDEDGE.

These HA-SD7 are on my wishlist, but unfortunately, i cannot get them...
I've read they have similar sound profile as S500, with better build quality / overall package..i'd really like to listen to them, one day :)

Still waiting for JVC's 50mm CNT or Titanium drivers..

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #11,228 of 12,992
These HA-SD7 are on my wishlist, but unfortunately, i cannot get them...
I've read they have similar sound profile as S500, with better build quality / overall package..i'd really like to listen to them, one day :)

Still waiting for JVC's 50mm CNT or Titanium drivers..

I would love to see a true successor the SZ2K/1K line using CNT. That great bass with better mids and highs would be a huge hit. I cannot fathom why that hasn't happened yet to be honest.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #11,229 of 12,992

They also sell 2 high-end headphones with wood drivers, HA-SHR01 and HA-SHR02.
There isn't a great deal of information on those, since most people aren't willing to risk buying 'blind' from overseas without an audition.

Then there's their current flagship headphone HA-WM90-B, which sells for around $3500.

Also, probably their most important current headphone the HA-MX100-Z is the best studio headphone they've ever made.
It's rediculously over-engineered and is the definition of a 'precision tool'.

I don't think any of these particular models have a place in this thread going by what I've read about them, but to generalize the entire company as "producing nothing but crap now" is very far from the truth :)
Regrettably, I've passed over some of JVC's offerings whenever I'm at the headphone stores in Tokyo. I'll be sure to pay them more attention the next time I visit.

I would love to see a true successor the SZ2K/1K line using CNT. That great bass with better mids and highs would be a huge hit. I cannot fathom why that hasn't happened yet to be honest.
Yeah, I share the same sentiments. I wasn't able to get a hold of the SZ1000 and the SZ2000 when they were in production. It'll be nice to see a couple of successors.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #11,230 of 12,992
I am a bit ashamed to say this, but for me, CNT drivers are the best thing ever, followed by titanium ones..haven't tried beryllium, though..
From what i've tried and that is between 50 and 100 hps, these CNTs tick all my boxes...i would like bigger driver, premium build and look and i would insta buy :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #11,231 of 12,992

JVC did something unique with Kelton carbon nanotubes. But rather then fixing the hinge snapping issues, JVC chose to just discontinue the entire SZ series. If you go to their website, you can see how truly crappy it is, and why I've completely lost faith in that company. Some people say that they are still good, that they are excelling still in the Japan market with high end gear. That might be, but what I see is that they completely failed in the American market.

Its really sad OldDude, I haven't really seen a real contender replacement for the SZ series for around the same price. A lot of people talk about the king of bass being that Fostex pair with the cherry red wooden ends on it, but not everybody has 1600 dollars to dump into buying a can. And once Corona days started happening, it destroyed manufacturing, and companies are only just now starting to get back on their feet. But products still are having a hard time getting to the country.

For me, the only real condendor for the same price range I got the JVC SZ1000's, is the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #11,232 of 12,992
I have tried so many headphones in my time...but I have never held a JVC in my hands.

The HA-SD7 looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this one in the used market.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #11,234 of 12,992
Hmm, any idea how much the HA-SD7 goes for in Japan? Curious how bad the markup is to get it to the US.

The markup would probably be mostly in the shipping costs, which would probably be 25 dollars. I think the biggest issue your going to face is availability, because were in Corona days now. Tons of items are out of stock, with no clear date on when items will be back in stock, so, see whats available I guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back