The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #11,146 of 12,992
He did mention that he bought them used, and his picture does show that they have been well used, so its possible. But I really hope that they are not damaged and are ok, I hate to see it when people lose money on something.
Normally, if someone thinks that the LP and/or LP2 aren't bass-heavy, I'd say that they are probably married to a subwoofer. :laughing:

In this case, however, I think his headphone/drivers may be damaged after all.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #11,147 of 12,992
Normally, if someone thinks that the LP and/or LP2 aren't bass-heavy, I'd say that they are probably married to a subwoofer. :laughing:

In this case, however, I think his headphone/drivers may be damaged after all.

Now thats a nice post, and you seem like a cool dude, so guess what? Your gonna get a like. lol

And yes, thats the whole reason why I raze my bass up, cause I wanna feel like my head is in a subwoofer woohoo! I freaking love it when the bass drops down low, before you know it, your popping a nut at 36 hertz and you haven't even had breakfast yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #11,148 of 12,992
Now thats a nice post, and you seem like a cool dude, so guess what? Your gonna get a like. lol

And yes, thats the whole reason why I raze my bass up, cause I wanna feel like my head is in a subwoofer woohoo! I freaking love it when the bass drops down low, before you know it, your popping a nut at 36 hertz and you haven't even had breakfast yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You can be like this guy, bro.. Why settle for headphones, right? :sweat_smile:

3apyF.jpg

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #11,149 of 12,992
He did mention that he bought them used, and his picture does show that they have been well used, so its possible. But I really hope that they are not damaged and are ok, I hate to see it when people lose money on something.

Of course, another issue is, if there is not enough power entering the can's, they won't produce at their capacity. I think he mentioned that he has a tube amp, I'm wondering how much power that tube amp puts out for the cans. Cause at the end of the day, if you got less then 800MW of power going into V-Moda's, they will sound like crap. The sweet spot is right around 1W though. :wink:

I'll open them up to see if there is any damage to the drivers, though at the price i bought them, I really can't complain, I did test out a Crossfade (not sure which model) and XB900 from my phone in a best buy magnolia nearby, and recall the sound signature being broadly similar - the sony was more bass heavy than the crossfade.

I haven't hooked up the crossfade to the PHA1 yet. It's been running off the the DAC's built in headphone amp which pushes out 174mW. Let me try that

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #11,150 of 12,992
You can be like this guy, bro.. Why settle for headphones, right? :sweat_smile:

3apyF.jpg

Thats freaking hilarious, I love it! HAHA!

Yeah, I used to be a speaker nut, still got the surround sound system in my room, but its no longer hooked up. You know why? Headphones sound so much better. :wink:

I'll open them up to see if there is any damage to the drivers, though at the price i bought them, I really can't complain, I did test out a Crossfade (not sure which model) and XB900 from my phone in a best buy magnolia nearby, and recall the sound signature being broadly similar - the sony was more bass heavy than the crossfade.

I haven't hooked up the crossfade to the PHA1 yet. It's been running off the the DAC's built in headphone amp which pushes out 174mW. Let me try that

174mw? Well theres the issue right there, I had a feeling. A DAC is gonna have a pre-amp but thats about it. The power output is way too low to make those drivers slam. Yeah, plug your V-Moda's into a good amp, and listen to them come alive. Hope the drivers are ok in the used pair however.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #11,152 of 12,992
Thats freaking hilarious, I love it! HAHA!

Yeah, I used to be a speaker nut, still got the surround sound system in my room, but its no longer hooked up. You know why? Headphones sound so much better. :wink:
Thankfully, I was never a speakerhead. I crave intimacy and privacy in my listening time, so it's just headphones and IEMs for me. I can't afford yet another addition to this already expensive obsession hobby. :laughing:

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #11,153 of 12,992
Btw these Crossfade LP are not the first time I've found a headphone sound very different from the rankings in this thread. I have a taction Kannon that's gathering dust because I couldn't get any decent bass out of it compared to any of the other headphones I have. Less audible bass than either the Sony or the vmoda, and less haptic bass than the crusher. Even after amping, EQ, and brain burn in.

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #11,154 of 12,992
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for the best sounding bass. That 20-80hz range to say the least is where I really want this new puppy to shine. It would be nice if it still sounded very nice everywhere else as well.

Not necessarily tons of bass. Though, that's always a plus. Really I'm after a closed back or an IEM that has that draw dropping perfectly reproduced bass notes that are just stunning to listen to.
And It'd be nice to see it in 4.4mm balanced pentacon.
My kit so far: FiiO Q5S (AMP/DAC), Sennheiser HD660S (Really nice but does not drop those bass notes perfectly, does have a perfect 400hz or so kick drum though I'm talking about the 20-80hz range!), Sony Walkman NW-ZX507

Also I don't think I can drop more than a grand on this one in usd and really I'd like to stick to around $300-400.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #11,155 of 12,992
I think the best cans in that price range would be one of the following -
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
  • Meze 99 Classics
  • Ultrasone PRO 900
With all 3 headphones, you will get punchy, deep bass, and in the case of the 99 Classics and PRO 900, very good rumble, too. However, the Ultrasone has a pronounced "v-shaped" sound; with exaggerated bass and treble, leaving a scooped midrange. The DT 1770 PRO fares better in that regard, with a frequency response that is more linear. As a tradeoff, the bass isn't as boosted. The 99 Classics straddles the 2, IMO.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #11,156 of 12,992
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for the best sounding bass. That 20-80hz range to say the least is where I really want this new puppy to shine. It would be nice if it still sounded very nice everywhere else as well.

Not necessarily tons of bass. Though, that's always a plus. Really I'm after a closed back or an IEM that has that draw dropping perfectly reproduced bass notes that are just stunning to listen to.
And It'd be nice to see it in 4.4mm balanced pentacon.
My kit so far: FiiO Q5S (AMP/DAC), Sennheiser HD660S (Really nice but does not drop those bass notes perfectly, does have a perfect 400hz or so kick drum though I'm talking about the 20-80hz range!), Sony Walkman NW-ZX507

Also I don't think I can drop more than a grand on this one in usd and really I'd like to stick to around $300-400.

I'd recommend finding a used set of Foxstex TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak, or you can buy a new set of E-MU Teaks from the E-MU site by emailing them and asking for a pair. The different wood options (mahogany/ebony/purpleheart/teak) change the tonality a bit, but all of them are known for fantastic lows while maintaining a decently wide sound stage for a closed back, and having a very clear and present treble. You can usually find them for less than $400 for sale here and on Reddit's r/AVexchange subreddit.

Also, for you to get the bass you're looking for out of most headphones, you're most likely going to need more juice than the amp section of your FiiO Q5S, which maxes out at 560mW @ 32ohms.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #11,157 of 12,992
I'd recommend finding a used set of Foxstex TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak, or you can buy a new set of E-MU Teaks from the E-MU site by emailing them and asking for a pair. The different wood options (mahogany/ebony/purpleheart/teak) change the tonality a bit, but all of them are known for fantastic lows while maintaining a decently wide sound stage for a closed back, and having a very clear and present treble. You can usually find them for less than $400 for sale here and on Reddit's r/AVexchange subreddit.

Also, for you to get the bass you're looking for out of most headphones, you're most likely going to need more juice than the amp section of your FiiO Q5S, which maxes out at 560mW @ 32ohms.
Thanks man, you guys are the best at knowing what to know it seems on this forum... just kind of walking into rake handles in the introduction section asking for help regarding this!!!

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #11,158 of 12,992
Thanks man, you guys are the best at knowing what to know it seems on this forum... just kind of walking into rake handles in the introduction section asking for help regarding this!!!

Have you ever stepped on the metal portion of a rake and have the handle fly up and smack you in the face? Thats happened to me, its one of lifes moments that really makes you re-think your life. :ksc75smile:

Thats one of the reasons why I love Head-Fi as well, a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, and we all help each other out with our knowledge. Occasionally, you might run across a jerk on here who thinks they are better then sliced bread, but that doesn't happen too often, I usually just ignore the aholes lol.

Other then learning things, buying things, the biggest thing you should do on here, is just have fun. And yes, folks here at Head-Fi have done an awesome job of making me spend pocket book money, I love it! LOL :thumbsup:

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #11,159 of 12,992
What kind of ohms should I expect an IEM or a closed back to be and at what wattage? Is the continued adage of more ohms = better sound?

Also, Say there were two crowned achieved distinguished unclassable undefeatable drivers would it make more sense to listen to them as IEM's or as closed backs?
The bonuses I can see with the IEM'S is that I could create a complete vacuum/seal with the ear tips and sealed sub bass (20-80hz) sounds so much better in sealed environments for it to bounce around in as well as not escape!
I'm unsure what benefits the closed back has as I think a closed back IEM is much more... distinguished in this from a glance.

And this actually brought the following to my attention: Campfire Audio Polaris V2
the only problem is I would have to order a aftermarket 4.4mm cable from them or somewhere else.

Also real quick have any of you guys hands down ever ever ever noticed a difference in cable clarity with decent and high end ultra cables or any cables?

Sorry for all the Q's...

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #11,160 of 12,992
What kind of ohms should I expect an IEM or a closed back to be and at what wattage? Is the continued adage of more ohms = better sound?

Also, Say there were two crowned achieved distinguished unclassable undefeatable drivers would it make more sense to listen to them as IEM's or as closed backs?
The bonuses I can see with the IEM'S is that I could create a complete vacuum/seal with the ear tips and sealed sub bass (20-80hz) sounds so much better in sealed environments for it to bounce around in as well as not escape!
I'm unsure what benefits the closed back has as I think a closed back IEM is much more... distinguished in this from a glance.

And this actually brought the following to my attention: Campfire Audio Polaris V2
the only problem is I would have to order a aftermarket 4.4mm cable from them or somewhere else.

Also real quick have any of you guys hands down ever ever ever noticed a difference in cable clarity with decent and high end ultra cables or any cables?

Sorry for all the Q's...

IEMs are incapable of hitting as hard as closed back over ears. Bass is felt as well as heard, and is about the movement of air. Don't get me wrong, some IEMs can bring fantastic bass, but they just simply can't move the volume of air that a over ear can move. I've owned the CA Polaris V2 and it was pretty good in the bass department as far as IEMs go. I've owned 2 IEMs that hit harder (with EQ), the Hyla TE5-B and Hyla Sarda, and I've read that the Empire Ears Valkyrie, Nemesis, and Legend X hit even harder than the Hylas. I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet, so I can't say for sure. But even my open back planar magnetic headphones hit harder than my IEMs just because of the larger surface of the driver and the air they can move. I think if portability isn't a requirement in your search for bass, then you're better off with an over ear headphone than with an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back