The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #10,996 of 12,992
Hey Maybe you guys can put me on the right path becasue i have been looking for the past month. I currently own the Audiotechnica Pro 700mk2 and they are great! i love strong mid bass that kicks your skull with every kickdrum and the sub bass is definetly good enough too. the only thing i dont like about them is they literally make my Ears bleed after an hour of having them on. Since the earpads are not for me. i tried the original i tried the ath m50 pads which still i use now. And i tried the brainwavez pads they were nice comfort wise but they cut the mid bass by like 50% so it wasnt enjoyable to me anymore. Now my Question is what are some solid options for me in this price range up to 300$ that just kick your skull like the pro700s amped and eqed does? also i should add ill use them with a shiit magni2 modi2 stack

You could get your hands on a pair of used JVC SZ1k like THESE, amped and EQ'ed they'll slam your face off. At that price, you'll have enough to get some comfortable pads and still be under your top budget. I personally liked the MrSpeakers Alpha pads the most on my JVC.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #10,997 of 12,992
You could get your hands on a pair of used JVC SZ1k like THESE, amped and EQ'ed they'll slam your face off. At that price, you'll have enough to get some comfortable pads and still be under your top budget. I personally liked the MrSpeakers Alpha pads the most on my JVC.

i would love them but I don’t want to deal with shipping them from the US and customs and stuff. I’m from Europe and they aren’t available here even on local eBay that’s why I’m looking for some “more available” ones

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #10,998 of 12,992
i would love them but I don’t want to deal with shipping them from the US and customs and stuff. I’m from Europe and they aren’t available here even on local eBay that’s why I’m looking for some “more available” ones

I just checked, they are also available on ebay.co.uk if that helps at all.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #11,000 of 12,992
Forgive me for this very basic question. Of the headphones mentioned in this thread I own the V-Moda M100s with XL pads, one of the many Chinese versions of the RBH Berylliums and the Audioquest Nighthawks with all three pads. What kind of EQ'ing should I be doing here and what software should I be using to do it? Oh, all of these are being powered by an odac+O2 combo.

I'm not at my PC with EqualizerAPO that's connected to my desktop headphone setup. But later today I'll post up one of my EQ setups I use for aggressive bass. I have the Nighthawks as well so I'll post that one specifically.

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #11,002 of 12,992
Hey Maybe you guys can put me on the right path becasue i have been looking for the past month. I currently own the Audiotechnica Pro 700mk2 and they are great! i love strong mid bass that kicks your skull with every kickdrum and the sub bass is definetly good enough too. the only thing i dont like about them is they literally make my Ears bleed after an hour of having them on. Since the earpads are not for me. i tried the original i tried the ath m50 pads which still i use now. And i tried the brainwavez pads they were nice comfort wise but they cut the mid bass by like 50% so it wasnt enjoyable to me anymore. Now my Question is what are some solid options for me in this price range up to 300$ that just kick your skull like the pro700s amped and eqed does? also i should add ill use them with a shiit magni2 modi2 stack

If you want some fun, why not try something silly like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C4HK5W1/

Haptic/Tactile bass is very fun, albeit artificial.

Otherwise I always recommend the V-Moda M-100s with XL pads. If you have large ears though, they're not likely to be comfortable as the opening is small. Also whilst the bass quantity is huge, as recently alluded to in this thread the quality isn't the best but IMO the tradeoff is worth it.

These are both available in Europe, but obviously if you can you should keep a look out for the Kings (SZ2000s or even the SZ1000s which people highly rate too).

Alternatively you can abuse Sony MDR-1As rather nicely with some EQ and power. I have no data on the MDR-1AM2s which are the new version so I'd recommend sticking to the originals, which usually have excellent Amazon Warehouse deals. They are super light and comfortable and yet isolate surprisingly well.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #11,003 of 12,992
UK amazon has the Yamaha Pro 500s for 115 GBP.

That's a effing steal for a great sounding do everything headphone. W shaped sig with roll off in the subbass, but it will take as much EQ as the 2k will so no issues there. 50mm Mylar driver. Can handle up to 2 watts which is more then I have. The mid bass impact is almost as violent as the 2k's. Mids sound great and are forward. This is an issue at loud volumes. Things can get shouty so need to EQ. Overall presentation is pretty energetic.

Cons would be that they are pretty big. They fit my head barely with the adjustments all the way down. They are a bit heavy. They are plastic and will eventually break some time in the future as plastic breaks down. They have 90mm rounds earpads that give a weird fit to some. I ended up just sticking some brainwave knockoffs on them. Now perfect over ear fit is achieved and stage widened quite a bit, while presentation eased on its energy a bit. Impact and slam were improved as I am guessing that more surface area of my head is now in contact with the phone.

One of my all time favorites as I can go from Death Metal to Jpop to head thumping brain damaging boom. Not everyones cup of tea, but as they used to be $400 USD and now they are $140 it might be worth a shot.

IMG_20180418_184803.jpg
IMG_20180418_184707.jpg

Attachments

• yamaha-hph-pro500-frequency-response.jpg
    yamaha-hph-pro500-frequency-response.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #11,004 of 12,992
UK amazon has the Yamaha Pro 500s for 115 GBP.

That's a effing steal for a great sounding do everything headphone. W shaped sig with roll off in the subbass, but it will take as much EQ as the 2k will so no issues there. 50mm Mylar driver. Can handle up to 2 watts which is more then I have. The mid bass impact is almost as violent as the 2k's. Mids sound great and are forward. This is an issue at loud volumes. Things can get shouty so need to EQ. Overall presentation is pretty energetic.

Cons would be that they are pretty big. They fit my head barely with the adjustments all the way down. They are a bit heavy. They are plastic and will eventually break some time in the future as plastic breaks down. They have 90mm rounds earpads that give a weird fit to some. I ended up just sticking some brainwave knockoffs on them. Now perfect over ear fit is achieved and stage widened quite a bit, while presentation eased on its energy a bit. Impact and slam were improved as I am guessing that more surface area of my head is now in contact with the phone.

One of my all time favorites as I can go from Death Metal to Jpop to head thumping brain damaging boom. Not everyones cup of tea, but as they used to be $400 USD and now they are $140 it might be worth a shot.

IIRC the earcups are aluminum alloy with those 50mm, so its not all plastic. Which might explain why they can handle all that bass shaking. Thats a pretty good price it seems for them, and they look pretty sweet

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #11,005 of 12,992
IIRC the earcups are aluminum alloy with those 50mm, so its not all plastic. Which might explain why they can handle all that bass shaking. Thats a pretty good price it seems for them, and they look pretty sweet

Yea the Aluminum cups are the difference between the 500 and the 400. Sorta like the Brass tube in the 2k and the 1k. Definitely allows for more impact with bass. The body is plastic and I have babied mine. They are always in the case when not in use ect and mine have a tiny small stress fracture in the middle top where the plastic bends while putting them on/taking them off. Its a shame, because the tuning is legit dopesauce. At that price its worth it IMO. They are still $340 here in the US. I am waiting for that price drop here to pick up a backup.

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #11,006 of 12,992
After spending silly money to upgrade, i found out that what i needed was a downgrade.
Having grown up listening to the sony house sound, I bough ta JVC HA RX700, Beyerdynamic COPS, Taction Kannon (from this list) and they all sucked
After posting elsewhere - mentioning that the sony MDR XD200 and XB50 was sort of the sound i liked, and seeing the recommends for the MDR XB950AP, i ordered one, and I can confirm that this is indeed the headphone i was looking for. Especially after adding a Bass Traveler, this is all i need!

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #11,007 of 12,992
After spending silly money to upgrade, i found out that what i needed was a downgrade.
Having grown up listening to the sony house sound, I bough ta JVC HA RX700, Beyerdynamic COPS, Taction Kannon (from this list) and they all sucked
After posting elsewhere - mentioning that the sony MDR XD200 and XB50 was sort of the sound i liked, and seeing the recommends for the MDR XB950AP, i ordered one, and I can confirm that this is indeed the headphone i was looking for. Especially after adding a Bass Traveler, this is all i need!

I value other's opinion, but i have to disagree..the bass is strong, there is no doubt about it, but it is very very poor low resolution anti-quality bass...there's no texture whatsoever...
I remember when i switched to JVC S500, i started to realize just how bad the bass of Sony's is...not to mention that i didn't like the comfort, build quality and looks :)

Don't get me wrong, the quantity was good, but the quality was subpar.
I've also tried XB50 & XB70 and i can say that the bass on XB50 was good (better than XB70 imo), the rest of the frequency range was dull.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #11,009 of 12,992
I value other's opinion, but i have to disagree..the bass is strong, there is no doubt about it, but it is very very poor low resolution anti-quality bass...
Hey, I don't disagree with you - I'm not saying the sony is the world's best headphone - Just that I am used to the sony sound signature (good or bad as it may be), and am happy with it.

To use a car analogy (and a true one) - I recently upgraded from a beater to a new Civic Si. By all counts the Civic is a better car, but the firm suspension, the precise steering, the disc brakes and 6 speed gearbox are beginning to get annoying - I am beginning to feel potholes i never felt before, the dead spot in the steering which kept it more or less steady on highways is now disappeared, the brakes feel too grabby, and i have to keep changing gears all the time. I got a lot of flak from the car forums where i posted this, saying that I don't know what's good for me. I am not saying that it's inferior, just that its not what I want.

Just like my mom's cooking will always be better than what the best chefs can make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back