The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #8,836 of 12,993

I'm not sure if the one he/she spoke of was modded b/c in the MSUR thread, i've seen them put dampening and filled it ar$e with cotton. But lot of happy campers on that MSUR ship. Seems hm5 can fit, so a cheap woodie with sheepskin for like 140US. And if impact is on par or better with x00 with decent sound, hmmm couple people might be tempted on here :p

Ive read a few reviews, I want them now.. but this would cut out my Emu/X00 money.. even more torn :|  !!!!Thanks Headphone gods, stressing me out!!!!!!! lol

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,837 of 12,993
  Ive read a few reviews, I want them now.. but this would cut out my Emu/X00 money.. even more torn :|  !!!!Thanks Headphone gods, stressing me out!!!!!!! lol

I would stick to your E-MU/X00 hunt. Later on, once you acquire of them, and find a few nickles around the house and can afford the risk, then i don't see why not. I dont think they're at the same level in fidelity.
L3000.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #8,838 of 12,993
I spent a few hours with the Abyss in a shop in 2015.

It was driven by the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD ($4,300 DAC/amp that outputs up to 8 watts at 50 ohms) and I used my own test tracks in most genres.

I suspect something was wrong with the demo unit. The bands on either side didn't stay taut, so it dug down on my head and I had to hold it up with my hands the entire time. It distorted badly (especially in the bass) when the pads were too far away from my ears, so I had to push them closer too. (These issues are not supposed to normally occur, and I know plenty of owners who have never had problems like this.)

I experimented with the fit every way I could, such as adjusting the width of the headband (which changes the distance of the pads from your ears) and rotating the angled pads. Apparently it's designed to provide the ideal sound when the pads rest slightly away from your ears, but like I mentioned, that wasn't something I could do much.

It sounded very neutral to me aside from the mids being less prominent than I would like. The measurements align with this.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e6/e6fc72b9_JPS_Labs_AbyssAB1266_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png [mislabeled]
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf
http://en.goldenears.net/24177

It's a serious audiophile headphone, and I'm not sure if it could handle extreme bass boosts like the SZ2000 can. I believe I read a few other reports of distortion when the bass was cranked to excessive levels.

As for what everyone says about the sound...I've probably read more Abyss impressions than anyone else. I even have a text file with impressions excerpts from all over the Internet, organized in chronological order. What's really odd is that my best friend is the person who started the Abyss impressions thread, and we have the same birthday!

Quite a few people regard the Abyss as the greatest headphone ever made. @Beolab
(who also owns the STAX SR-009 and has heard the $55,000 Sennheiser HE 1 system) is one of them. Perhaps he could comment on its performance in a basshead context. (And whether it can handle extreme bass boosts.) He does use the Simaudio MOON Evolution 600i ($9,000 speaker amp) and Chord DAVE (top-of-the-line DAC/amp) with it.

Hay chihuahua! Haha. A bad fit and heaviness don't sound too good for potential buyer. I'd have prioritize getting a motorcycle over stepping into the $5000+ club...but they do seem more interesting to me than all the other TOTLs. Anything that costs that much should slam if you want it to

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,839 of 12,993
Hay chihuahua! Haha. A bad fit and heaviness don't sound too good for potential buyer. I'd have prioritize getting a motorcycle over stepping into the $5000+ club...but they do seem more interesting to me than all the other TOTLs. Anything that costs that much should slam if you want it to

There was another abyss like looking headphone which looked like a mad scientist made them. I forget the name of it. Does anyone know? They look very unrefined and rough like made in a lab, and i think made in Japan. If anything, those two win in that department.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,840 of 12,993
In as much research as I could do from here, youtube, and any source I could find with the X00 (all models) and EMU Teak..

X00 - PurpleHeart should be the basshead delight of all of them. Im just worried about the sibilance comments a lot of people mention that comes with it... I suppose some EQ love and all will be ok.. I am going to hold off for some X00-PH

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #8,841 of 12,993

Although it weighs 620 grams, it does not feel heavy to me while wearing it. Design is more important than weight.

Like I mentioned, the demo unit was probably defective, so should not reflect a brand new one.

Yes, the Abyss interests me more than most others. I actually talked to the designer on the phone for about an hour once.

Its impact is more like a high quality across the spectrum type of deal.

There was another abyss like looking headphone which looked like a mad scientist made them. I forget the name of it. Does anyone know? They look very unrefined and rough like made in a lab, and i think made in Japan. If anything, those two win in that department.

Probably this: http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #8,842 of 12,993
  In as much research as I could do from here, youtube, and any source I could find with the X00 (all models) and EMU Teak..

X00 - PurpleHeart should be the basshead delight of all of them. Im just worried about the sibilance comments a lot of people mention that comes with it... I suppose some EQ love and all will be ok.. I am going to hold off for some X00-PH

Nice choice! I ended up going for a Mahogany as they are fairly common, and figure I can always EQ a little bass back in if I feel it needs it.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #8,843 of 12,993

Although it weighs 620 grams, it does not feel heavy to me while wearing it. Design is more important than weight.

Like I mentioned, the demo unit was probably defective, so should not reflect a brand new one.

Yes, the Abyss interests me more than most others. I actually talked to the designer on the phone for about an hour once.

Its impact is more like a high quality across the spectrum type of deal.

Probably this: http://www.taket.jp/h2/h2.html

YEAH!! That is the one alright lmao. I mean if one has a tonne of money to burn, i can see them as nice table pieces for guests to try on and play with
evil_smiley.gif
, and ruin their lives, b/c they will probably go back to their stuff.
devil_face.gif

And it is weird you and your best friend share same birthday and are abyss nuts. :p Kind of reminds me of the odd tales that manifested from the Twins studies done at University of Minnesota (which i believe have the most recognition for cuh work in the field) . I guess its fitting they do the studies there with their twin cities.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #8,844 of 12,993
I demoed the Abyss for two weeks running it off of good equipment that I am familiar with, it does indeed slam very hard. I would say it is the second hardest hitting open headphone I have tried.

Reguardless what was reported here, it has eye watering bass and extremely good SQ. But as I said my familiarity with the equipment let me know how hard they can be pushed or I would have owed my friend 5k.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #8,845 of 12,993
I demoed the Abyss for two weeks running it off of good equipment that I am familiar with, it does indeed slam very hard. I would say it is the second hardest hitting open headphone I have tried.

Reguardless what was reported here, it has eye watering bass and extremely good SQ. But as I said my familiarity with the equipment let me know how hard they can be pushed or I would have owed my friend 5k.

What was the hardest open then? Also, you must go into more details
biggrin.gif
about the .....................

.... BASS
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #8,846 of 12,993
LCD-4, but I think the Abyss had better SQ. I blind bought the 4 and love it, but in hindsite should have bought the Abyss.

As far as the bass hit, it is an added bounus to an awesome sounding HP. An HE6 off of a decent speaker amp is almost there, but the 4/Abyss both have a sense of weight that has to be heard to be described. Very subwoofer like.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #8,847 of 12,993
LCD-4, but I think the Abyss had better SQ. I blind bought the 4 and love it, but in hindsite should have bought the Abyss.

As far as the bass hit, it is an added bounus to an awesome sounding HP. An HE6 off of a decent speaker amp is almost there, but the 4/Abyss both have a sense of weight that has to be heard to be described. Very subwoofer like.

Well its nice you can enjoy a wide variety of cans after hearing Steve Guttenbergs favorite. It was his top pick at one point anyway IIRC. Sometimes after hearing something like that, some will say yuck to anything under $1000 :p
devil_face.gif
As for the subwoofer like business, there are differences between home woofer sound in a nice room, car subwoofer sound, and movie theater/club subwoofer experience. Very different flavors of bass, but all so yummy as well. yum yum yum. For 5k money, i'm more likely to get car amps and spl woofers, b/c well yeah can't beat that type of BASS :D

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #8,849 of 12,993
Well its nice you can enjoy a wide variety of cans after hearing Steve Guttenbergs favorite. It was his top pick at one point anyway IIRC. Sometimes after hearing something like that, some will say yuck to anything under $1000 :p :devil_face: As for the subwoofer like business, there are differences between home woofer sound in a nice room, car subwoofer sound, and movie theater/club subwoofer experience. Very different flavors of bass, but all so yummy as well. yum yum yum. For 5k money, i'm more likely to get car amps and spl woofers, b/c well yeah can't beat that type of BASS :D
That's what got me into this hobby, car Audio as a kid! (And adult:grin:)

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #8,850 of 12,993
That's what got me into this hobby, car Audio as a kid! (And adult:grin:)

Heck yeah! Can't believe it's taken me this long (10 yrs) to discover the wonder of basscans after loving my subs so much in high school. I didn't even bother with the speakers haha. Just threw two twelves in the back and went all out basshead on the daily.

Story here, bassheads beware. Some yahoo didn't like my music being played too loud...I has no idea he could hear my subs from inside his house. But I was enjoying some 420 time bumping Luda and he was so pissed he rammed my car when I tried to drive away. I whooped his ass amd guess who got in trouble? Needless to say, I was literally disturbin the peace, bassheads beware of vigilantes trying to keep our volume down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back