The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #8,461 of 12,993
  Whats the main difference then, just 57mm vs 50mm driver in same shell?

The differences are touched upon here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-ha-mr77x-xtreme-xplosives-headphones/reviews/10437
http://www.head-fi.org/t/688897/jvc-ha-mr77x-top-of-the-line-jvc-x-series

Having owned the 55X, I can say that my only use for it would be for its pads. (And perhaps as a headphone stand ornament. It does look pretty cool.)

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #8,462 of 12,993
  Well you can always have both (firmer ones and hm5). and then roll.

In the long run comfort with nearly as much bass is the logical choice.

Then when you want slam slap on the firmer slightly less comfy ones.

I know if i watch a movie which ones i prefer anyway :p

The purple pads match nicely with the cable

I also like the alpha pad look with sz2k.

happy_face1.gif

I agree 100%, comfort with close to maximum bass is ideal. Which was why I bought the HM5 pads for the 700's in the first place over the M50x pads.

For me, I don't see myself pad rolling my 700's very often. That's the main reason I have the 55x pads on my SZ2K's instead of the HM5's. I use my SZ's as my MAXIMUM impact can, so I wanted the absolute hardest hitting pads I could  find for them, even if comfort was sacrificed. Like other users, I have other cans that are very comfortable that are great for long sessions (TH-X00, DT990). And since I have my SZ's set-up for maximum impact, and since they still reign supreme in the land of bass cans, I'll continue to use those when I want the absolute hardest hitting bass out there. They are the only cans I own that I'm willing to sacrifice comfort in the name of supreme bass. 

I may still pick up M50x pads to give them a shot on the 700's. If the impact increases and they are still comfy, I may keep them on. But I'll be hard pressed to ditch the purple HM5's. 

After getting more head time with the 700's, I am actually beginning to like them more and more. They really shine with the types of music I listen to the most, rap/hip-hop and EDM/trance. I've been constantly tweaking my EQ settings and seem to be getting them dialed in as time goes on. I find their overall sound to be very similar to my Yamaha Pro 500's. The 700's excel a bit more with true low hz sub bass, but the 500's hit a bit harder on the initial bass hit and higher hz frequencies. 500's have better stage for sure, along with a better tone in the midrange IMO. But I've been able to improve the midrange on the 700's by tweaking my EQ setting as I get more time with them. Both headphones are equally bright up top and sound very similar in the treble region. 

The 700's compared to my SZ2K's sound a bit more "shout'y" and "in your face" in the mids and highs if that makes any sense. Hard to put it in words but the SZ's just sound a bit "smoother" to me. And the SZ's clearly have the bigger stage, which for anyone that own the SZ2K tells you how "narrow" sounding the 700's are. But the bass tonality of the two sound almost identical, the SZ's just slam and rumble a bit more all around. I was honestly surprised with the overall impact of the 700's, I wasn't expecting them to be that close to my SZ's. 

For a throw on my head and go portable set, these 700's are going to be perfect I think. I helped my fiance pick out a set of over ear's for her Mom for Christmas this year, and had her pick up a set of Vmoda M100's for her. I made sure to grab a set of the XL pads for her to go with them for a stocking stuffer. One of these days I'm going to bring my portable rig over there so I can throw down a proper test of her M100's. Now that I've got my 700's, I'm really curious how they compare since they were the main second option for me. Because of their super low profile and heavy duty build quality, they are one of the few sets out there that I think could possibly be better for my portable use. If and when I test them out, I'll be sure to let you all know my impressions. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #8,463 of 12,993
Thats not too bad a set the m100s with XL pads.

And its good to know the 700mkII properly amped is close to sz2k, which probably means its even closer to sz1k

and realizing this sz is not the best portable , im sure a lot of people now will consider the 700mkII with hm5 pads

happy_face1.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,464 of 12,993
As long as you have plenty of power and are willing to EQ in a big boost in sub bass, they are a fantastic portable basshead can. Seriously, these things with HM5 pads are legit. Heck, if I didn't already own my SZ2000's these would be my main desktop basshead can as well. 

If anyone is serious about using these as a portable set, you will absolutely need at least a Fiio E12 or Cayin C5 amp to pound these to their maximum ability. My desktop iDSD set-up makes them sing, but my portable rig works really well too which consists of a 6th gen iPod Touch stacked with an E12. High gain, bass boost on, and the volume pot turned up just shy of 2 o'clock on the E12. And in addition a VERY healthy sub bass boost via EQ. 

The Pro700mk2's slam. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #8,465 of 12,993
I must say, ever since I've gotten back to headfi, and researched cans (Iv'e always been an IEM guy, now total can head convert), I've been so curious about the Sz. Between all the discussions, it always seems to end up as the SZ being the ultimate bass head can, so naturally I continue to be intreagued. If I currently listen to a Th900 and Denon d7k, what would might I experience donning a SZ2000, or the 1000? I understand they are different price ranges, but the SZ seems to really get a lot of attention and a lot of heavy praise. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #8,466 of 12,993
  I must say, ever since I've gotten back to headfi, and researched cans (Iv'e always been an IEM guy, now total can head convert), I've been so curious about the Sz. Between all the discussions, it always seems to end up as the SZ being the ultimate bass head can, so naturally I continue to be intreagued. If I currently listen to a Th900 and Denon d7k, what would might I experience donning a SZ2000, or the 1000? I understand they are different price ranges, but the SZ seems to really get a lot of attention and a lot of heavy praise. 

If you listen to a th900 or denon 5k/7k series (i think the 5k and the 7k were exactly the same sonically but the 7k has bling whereas the 5k doesnt? either way, i remember one week i was about to post i had just got some D7000 in the mail when i say HBB had just picked up the D5000. A few days later he posted his video review and I posted my thoughts and we both passed our sets of Denons along to someone else.

The TH900 and 5000/7000 go fairly deep and have a nice amount of bass in the mix but just isn't enough for basshead tendencies. It is kind of like running the SZ out of a phone, no amp IMO. You get the depth and an impression of the slam that could be, but you never get that full slam you want or hope will happen

Both 1k and 2k SZ's slam hard with an amp. If you want it to sound good and lively without an amp or don't like doing too much EQ then get a 1k. If you amp and EQ doesn't scare you get a 2k and tweak until it sounds perfect to you.

If you want the pure impact nothing is gonna compare to the SZ's.

If you aren't all about pure air moving slammage but you still want the depth and strong bass in the mix, either the TH or Denon would do the job. It is when you get into the more extreme regions of bass boosting that you have to ask yourself does the audiophile ones do what I want or are the SZ's delivering the slam I'm after.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #8,467 of 12,993
My apologies, Maybe I miss spoke. I have currently the d5k, d7k, and Th900 and am familiar with their signatures. I certainly require a lush presentation top to bottom, and it's safe to say I won't be letting them go any time soon and they will be the measure by which I will probably judge all others. I'm trying to discern if I would find the SZ satisfying, being I'm use the the Fostex/Denon cans. I'm certainly a bass freak, but I need to fill in the other gaps, to fully enjoy sub bass. Sorry, I should have been more clear, and i really appreciate you response, Vapman.

Oh, and I currently use an Audeze Deckard to amp, and find the Th and d7k to shake pretty violently if need be. I use an SVSpb13 ultra in my HT set up so I'm a bit spoiled to deep salivating sub bass. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #8,468 of 12,993
  My apologies, Maybe I miss spoke. I have currently the d5k, d7k, and Th900 and am familiar with their signatures. I certainly require a lush presentation top to bottom, and it's safe to say I won't be letting them go any time soon and they will be the measure by which I will probably judge all others. I'm trying to discern if I would find the SZ satisfying, being I'm use the the Fostex/Denon cans. I'm certainly a bass freak, but I need to fill in the other gaps, to fully enjoy sub bass. Sorry, I should have been more clear, and i really appreciate you response, Vapman.  

Oh well since you have those cans the comparison is much easier. Imagining amping and pushing either the TH900 or Denons as hard as they can go on EQ.  The sound you get will be kind of like what to expect from a non-amped, non or lightly EQ'd SZ. The SZ1000 might be more up your alley as I find it to have a more precise bass than the 2000. It can't hit as hard  or take to quite as extremely EQ as the 2000, but it can still hit harder than most else by itself.  The 2000 you can boost the subs and cut the highs both by 32dB and it has no problem doing what you want.  I think either the 1000 or 2000 will give you the bass you crave, they certainly work for me. I would just suggest to get or use different pads you have right away, the SZ stock pads are j-u-n-k!

If you have the famous HM5 style pads those work just fine. Keep in mind using a pad like this that's thicker and puts your ears farther from the drivers will result in less impact but more overall detail. I love my SZ2000 to death

edit: Burn in is debatable and subjective but all who have 100's of hours on their SZ (hard not to when you have them) will agree that for a closed can, that soundstage and imaging and clarity is top notch, of course you can't compare soundstage of an open can to one of a closed can. but so many closed backs sound too claustrophobic to me, the SZ has beautiful sound stage. They have very forward mids just like some real studio monitors and that is how I love it to sound. they aren't annoyingly forward or in the way when they shouldn't be, and the immense power of the bass doesn't drown out the clarity of the rest of the frequency range. It truly is enough to bring a tear to a true bassheads eye.

I might be getting a De'mun cable made for my SZ2000 and then sent to me so I don't have to break the bank shipping my SZ's overseas, and I keep to keep them home with me. I'd need to figure out a new strain relief for my 2000's, but I've been wanting to have some De'mun cable on my SZ2000 for a very long time now....

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #8,469 of 12,993
They have very forward mids just like some real studio monitors and that is how I love it to sound. they aren't annoyingly forward or in the way when they shouldn't be, and the immense power of the bass doesn't drown out the clarity of the rest of the frequency range. It truly is enough to bring a tear to a true bassheads eye.

In stock form it actually measures better than most bass-oriented headphones!

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&listStyle=webzine&document_srl=49622

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #8,470 of 12,993
Completely new to this, but what headphones would you guys recommend has the most "punchy bass," Im not super interested in the rumbling type of bass but the type that sounds really tight and controlled and sounds like you're getting kicked in the ear. 

For reference I have the V-Moda m100 and Beats solo 2 (got it for free with my macbook) and it seems like the type of bass I like is lacking in the V-Moda but more prominent in the Solo2s.

Does the HA-SZ2000 have the bass Im looking for? Or is there a better headphone?

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #8,471 of 12,993
  Completely new to this, but what headphones would you guys recommend has the most "punchy bass," Im not super interested in the rumbling type of bass but the type that sounds really tight and controlled and sounds like you're getting kicked in the ear. 

For reference I have the V-Moda m100 and Beats solo 2 (got it for free with my macbook) and it seems like the type of bass I like is lacking in the V-Moda but more prominent in the Solo2s.

Does the HA-SZ2000 have the bass Im looking for? Or is there a better headphone?

sz1000 for punchy over rumble.

In stock form it actually measures better than most bass-oriented headphones!

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&listStyle=webzine&document_srl=49622

It's the carbon nanotubes 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #8,473 of 12,993

A quick paper test vid I just did with my Mahogany TH-X00's. As you can see in the video, they are absolutely murdering the paper! I'm heavily boosting the sub bass via EQ, and driving them from my iFi iDSD on Turbo. I really think a lot of the bass is lost in transfer to the head from their semi open design. Because you can clearly see these things really dish out some serious thump. They really excel with the low hz stuff and you can see that in the video, the paper was straight up twisting lol. I'm finally starting to perfect my bass settings as you can clearly see :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #8,474 of 12,993

A quick paper test vid I just did with my Mahogany TH-X00's. As you can see in the video, they are absolutely murdering the paper! I'm heavily boosting the sub bass via EQ, and driving them from my iFi iDSD on Turbo. I really think a lot of the bass is lost in transfer to the head from their semi open design. Because you can clearly see these things really dish out some serious thump. They really excel with the low hz stuff and you can see that in the video, the paper was straight up twisting lol. I'm finally starting to perfect my bass settings as you can clearly see :)

Noiceeeeeeeeeee man haha. That was fun to watch. Those TH-X00 + E-MU teak seem like awesome bargains b/c you get that bit of wood art.

I remember getting some twisting violent movement and was hypnotized as well.

See you in the madhouse .

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #8,475 of 12,993
Just got the Jlab Omni for $50 refurbished and I'm quite impressed. Playing On My level in them right now and it handles the bass perfectly. Haven't tried them with amp yet though

Edit-tried with amp and I'm once again blow away. Possible new 40mm King?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back