The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 5, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #8,312 of 12,992
Should've been more specific.   Was talking about the xb that he posted for sale 
wink.gif

But those are just a collector's item for me.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #8,313 of 12,992
Oh those 1000s.... I need to hear those some day still. 

I knew the walnut was strong enough to make air move on the SZ... it just needs a little help... i finally tried double amping and had awesome success - no distortion, made it thru the track in the levels in the vid, please excuse my very messy desk. The reveel is not an amp, more of a DSP, it does kinda the same thing as Sound Blaster's crystalizer.

Foobar/SB X-Fi titanium HD -> Reveel -> bMac V2 -> Walnut V2 amp mode -> SZ2000 -> air

check out that flex around 0:40 during the sub drop

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #8,314 of 12,992
OK,...after all these months, I finally tried it -- the paper-pushing test with my setup.

I used one of my pair of V-Moda M-100s running off one of my portable Cayin C5 amps, tethered to my Rockboxed iPod Classic. I put a standard A4 sheet of paper over one earcup's earpad (laying flat against it) with the earcup laying horizontally on my desktop, and used my hand to keep the other earcup propped up, with the second earcup leaning against the bottom-side edge of the first earcup.

I played the famous '80s pop song "We Built This City" by Starship. I had the bass boost switch on the Cayin C5 turned on...with the Rockbox bass-boost feature set at +12 dB, while using the EQ preset "Lite Less Treble 7" in the "Cayin C5" set of DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, and with the volume cranked up to a level that was just beneath the threshold of audible amp clipping.

This was quite a bit louder than I normally listen to it at, and at a level that would definitely hurt my ears if I were wearing the pair of headphones at that moment.

The sound quality was such that this song ("We Built This City") had throbbing sub-bass, no excessive midbass, no coloration nor bloating of the lower midrange, nicely-pronounced upper midrange, decent highs, good clarity, good detail, and great soundstage. With all the bass boosts and EQ'ing in my system combined (plus the natural bass-boosted sound signature of the M-100s), the setting I was using...was boosting 40 Hz by a total of at least 53 dB, and 64 Hz by 16.6 dB.

The result? I could definitely see the outer edges of the A4 paper moving with the sub-bass. It wasn't anything spectacular enough to make a YouTube video out of, or anything, but it worked!

I'm sure if I'd played a bassy rap song and used a heavier midbass category in my EQ presets to go with it, then it probably would've shaken the outer edges of the paper even more. And, of course, it has nothing on the JVC SZ2000 in terms of paper-pushing SPL. But with my portable headphone setup, I was able to push paper a little while playing an old '80s pop tune that isn't known for its bass...and with good sound quality to go with it at the same time.

So there you have it.... 
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #8,316 of 12,992
I know there is a specific thread for both headphones and it's probably been addressed in here before, but for those of you that own or have heard both SZ1K and SZ2K what are the main differences? 

I already own and love the SZ2K, but the reason I am asking is I am interested in buying the SZ1K to use as a dedicated portable set. That way I don't risk damaging my precious SZ2K's by taking them outside where their chances of getting injured are increased greatly lol. 

I have plenty of amp power and always EQ my music so that isn't an issue. When going portable I still stack so I'm not looking at the 1K's for efficiency, it's solely to protect my 2K's. I just am wondering how close the 1K's are to the 2K's in both bass impact and overall sound signature? If the 2K's are 100% bass impact, where do the 1K's fall? 

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #8,317 of 12,992
  I know there is a specific thread for both headphones and it's probably been addressed in here before, but for those of you that own or have heard both SZ1K and SZ2K what are the main differences? 

I already own and love the SZ2K, but the reason I am asking is I am interested in buying the SZ1K to use as a dedicated portable set. That way I don't risk damaging my precious SZ2K's by taking them outside where their chances of getting injured are increased greatly lol. 

I have plenty of amp power and always EQ my music so that isn't an issue. When going portable I still stack so I'm not looking at the 1K's for efficiency, it's solely to protect my 2K's. I just am wondering how close the 1K's are to the 2K's in both bass impact and overall sound signature? If the 2K's are 100% bass impact, where do the 1K's fall? 

I use the 1k when i am using a DAP or phone. If I have a lot of amp power at my disposal I always take the 2k over it. The 1k has tighter and more precise bass than the 2000. The 2000 favors pure impact over precision. I notice when listening to fast electronic genres like eurobeat I can hear a difference and often I will take the 1k over the 2k for quicker & more precise material like this. However, 90% of the time I want the impact more than I want the control, so the 2k's are my favorite of the two. But, the 1k has places where it can outshine the 2k, and if you find the 2k to be not precise enough for your tastes I'd absolutely recommend getting a 1k instead. for me the 2000 is better most of the time. but the 1k sounds so much more alive when you don't have as much amping as you'd like to work with.

edit I honestly got my sz1k for the same reasons you state and find them to be perfectly fine for that purpose. However when I get the ufo plus i will see if it can become my new "going outside" set cause the SZs are just too precious to me.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #8,318 of 12,992
  I use the 1k when i am using a DAP or phone. If I have a lot of amp power at my disposal I always take the 2k over it. The 1k has tighter and more precise bass than the 2000. The 2000 favors pure impact over precision. I notice when listening to fast electronic genres like eurobeat I can hear a difference and often I will take the 1k over the 2k for quicker & more precise material like this. However, 90% of the time I want the impact more than I want the control, so the 2k's are my favorite of the two. But, the 1k has places where it can outshine the 2k, and if you find the 2k to be not precise enough for your tastes I'd absolutely recommend getting a 1k instead. for me the 2000 is better most of the time. but the 1k sounds so much more alive when you don't have as much amping as you'd like to work with.

Awesome info, thank you very much. How bout the mids and highs, are they very similar? I'm assuming they will still need some EQ work to get them sounding their best, which isn't a problem for me. And lastly, what about DEEP sub bass? My 2K's are the best I've ever heard in that aspect, do the 1K's still hit nice and low, just with less impact? 

All things being equal (power, EQ, etc) if the 2K's bass impact is 100% on a scale, where would the 1K's fall?

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #8,319 of 12,992

Awesome info, thank you very much. How bout the mids and highs, are they very similar? I'm assuming they will still need some EQ work to get them sounding their best, which isn't a problem for me. And lastly, what about DEEP sub bass? My 2K's are the best I've ever heard in that aspect, do the 1K's still hit nice and low, just with less impact? 

All things being equal (power, EQ, etc) if the 2K's bass impact is 100% on a scale, where would the 1K's fall?

The highs are basically the same and now that I think about it, the 1k mids are not quite as forward. they are close and otherwise comparable/compatible though.

Deep sub bass extension is the same but you'll find that it has less pure impact power. That isn't to say it doesn't slam, it just can't slam quite as hard as the 2k does.

If all things are equal and you're on your slamminest' SZ2k setup, and you directly unplug and plug in your 1k, they will be distorting and you'll need to either cut back on the EQ or overall volume or both. That is why I say it's better for lower power sources as I can can plenty satisfying performance directly out of my V10 with equalizer.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #8,320 of 12,992
Ithinkhe wants percentage lol

Like sz1k bass is like 91.2346789786% of sz2k

edited* bad link

Im terrible with computers let alone tablet.
Almostnhad heartattack when sound cut. It was amp battery zero.
Let me know if it works

Thx

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #8,324 of 12,992
90% at normal volumes, 60-70% fully amped and EQ'd.

Anyway, I saw this about new Sony Extra Bass models.

I was disappointed to see the wired ones are gonna only have a 30mm driver 
rolleyes.gif
 but what is interesting me more is the wireless models. While I'm sure Sony would not be pulling some dozen driver shenanigans, I'm hoping for the best from them.

Sony is increasing their EXTRA BASS (XB) line of headphones today with the announcement of four new models. The first to be unveiled is Sony's MDR-XB510AS EXTRA BASS in-ear headphone. This is a sports headphone with bassheads in mind. Featuring an IPX5/7 water-proof design, this bass-boosted in-ear is targeting active users who like to spend their time relaxing by the pool or running in the rain. Accessories include an arc supporter, cord adjuster, clip and mesh carrying pouch.

Next up is the newest wired addition to the XB family, the MDR-XB550AP EXTRA BASS wired on-ear headphone. The premium metal headband, custom cups and 30mm drivers are all designed to deliver deep, punchy bass alongside what Sony call a balanced sound. There's an in-line remote for phone calls and an Android app lets the user customize the remote. The MDR-XB550AP EXTRA BASS will be available in red, green, blue, black and white.

On the wireless side Sony is releasing two new XB models in form of the MDR-XB950N1 EXTRA BASS and MDR-XB950B1 EXTRA BASS. Both headphones support a wireless Bluetooth connection with aptX and AAC alongside NFC pairing. There's a smartphone app available that allows the listener to emulate different environments like a club, arena, concert hall and more. It also features EQ settings so the user can personalize their sound.

The N1 has a few extra tricks compared to the B1, tricks like active noise cancellation (ANC) and 22 hours of wireless listening compared to the more modest 18 hours of the B1 model. The N1's ANC can be enabled and disabled in Sony's app.
 ​
No pricing has been announced for these headphones but we expect to see them on shelves sometime in the spring. For more information be sure to check out Sony's blog here.

People in the thread are losing it that they're all bass oriented 
biggrin.gif
 but if Sony has been keeping tabs on where all those MDR 7550's and XB90's that have been sitting around for so long are going, it'd be clear this is a great move for Sony to make IMO. Let's hope the headphones prove to be basshead

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #8,325 of 12,992
I have modded both HD-439 and HD-449. Removed the tape from both, uncovered all 3 holes.

The HD-439 became PERFECT bass headphones.

The HD-449 became a BASS MONSTER, more than HD-439, more than I can take. I had to put soft towel-vetex inside to absorb some bass.
Then they become the PERFECT bass headphone, beter than HD-439.

No distortion, they can take it just PERFECTLY! In fact, I think this is what they originaly where ment to be, they just gaged them.
The Bass is plenty, punchy, deep and clean.

I don't know about all these you review here, I stuck with these two. I LOVE them! Don't care for other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back