The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Nov 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8,041 of 12,992
I've been searching for what kind of amps I'm able to get around where I live and these are some the ones I've found. Would any of these go better than the other with a pair of V-Moda CFW having bass in mind? I was hoping to stay below 200$ if possible but I'm willing to throw in more if it's really necessary.

- Fiio E10K (145$)
- Fiio A3 (120$)
- Fiio E12 (245$)
- Fiio E18 (315$)

What are you gonna use for a source/player?

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #8,043 of 12,992
Mainly at home with the desktop, if going portable I have an iPhone 7. Main source for music is Spotify @ extreme. 

Ok I suggest finding a dac/amp combo like the Oppo ha-2 not ha-2se, since the 7 doesn't have a headphone jack. The connection to iPhone is seamless because it's apple certified. You can go with the e18. But your gonna use more cables plus I don't know if it would work with the 7

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #8,044 of 12,992
Lately I've been realizing that there a lot more basshead or semi basshead sets out there that we don't know of.

After finding the pm3 to be basshead/semi-basshead, I've been testing other sets to see if there other hidden gems. Another set I've found to be pretty good, and I know a lot of you probably have, is the audio-technica m50x.

It won't ever make It to the top ten but it's bass will be enough for the majority. If you look at the specs closely you see that it has potential. 45mm driver with max power handling 1500mw.

What I'm trying to get at is, not a lot sets are made for us basshead. We have to go out and find them for ourselves. Use the list as a guide. If you have a set that you think is capable, push it to the edge and see what happens. The more options we have the better it is for our basshead community. Cuz sure as ****, the companies and manufacturers don't have us in mind.

I'm probably not a basshead, but bass is top priority for me. I use my Audio Technica M50 and Alpha & Delta AD01 paired with my Fiio E10 (bass boost on) while listening to bass boosted music on Youtube and certain hip hop songs on Spotify. The bass impact from the M50 is bliss to me and makes me hungry for more bass.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #8,045 of 12,992
I'm probably not a basshead, but bass is top priority for me. I use my Audio Technica M50 and Alpha & Delta AD01 paired with my Fiio E10 (bass boost on) while listening to bass boosted music on Youtube and certain hip hop songs on Spotify. The bass impact from the M50 is bliss to me and makes me hungry for more bass.

Ya the m50 is a good set. Of you know how to use eq, you can add more to the bass region and go into basshead mode. Really surprised me how much slam it got in it

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #8,046 of 12,992
Guys I just received my HTC 10. Rooted it then installed viper4android

The stock iem Damn has bass! I then try the SZ 2000 and was amazed how more powerful the HTC 10 is than my older HTC m8! I can listen to music with sufficient volume and have great sound! It will never reach my ibasso d14 quality and power but it is very good and can be used without amp easily when you re away from your house. Impressive!

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #8,047 of 12,992
Well I can say I am finally almost finished with my basshead set-up. I do all my music listening through Spotify, as I am a premium member. On my desktop I run Equalify for EQ duties, which works great. I use the Dragonfly DAC, which then feeds into my Fiio E12 amp. This set-up provides fantastic slam, and sounds pretty damn good for the money invested. I use both the SZ2K's and my Yamaha Pro 500's with this configuration. 

But like most bassheads, I've been constantly searching for more. Obviously I already own the bass kings (SZ2K's), but the only amp I have ever used with them is my E12. I'm confident more power will get them slammin harder, as I've followed HBB's progress with different amps. Also my Yammy's pound really hard and sound much better overall than the JVC's, but I have issues with comfort because the ear cups are a little too small for me. That's been a total bummer, as I REALLY love their overall sound quality. Pounding hard hitting bass, with solid mids and nice and crisp highs. 

That has all lead to me this point. Over the last couple days I've scored a couple awesome deals from the classified section. I finally was able to score a mint pair of Fostex TH-X00's, unfortunately they are not the Purple Heart version as they are Mahogany but I'm sure they will still satisfy my bass needs. I was going to purchase a set of Purple Hearts, but the seller flaked out on me. I was not very happy about that, but at least I was able to snag a Mahogany set. I'm hoping these will take the place of my Yammy's, possibly providing both more overall slam and even better sound quality. And most importantly be nice and comfy. Super excited for these to arrive.

Next I snagged an iFi Micro iDSD to replace my Dragonfly/E12 combo. I'm going to keep my E12 around for portable use, but am excited to see what 4W of power will do to the SZ2K's. The DAC is supposed to be very good in it, possibly better than my Dragonfly. And now I will have all the power I will ever need.

Lastly, I will be getting an iPod Touch to use for portable listening with Spotify. I plan on using SpotEQ for equalizer duties, and will stack it with my E12 for starters. Since most of my portable listening is with IEM's (Sony 7550's), I may upgrade to a DAC/AMP combo since I won't need all the extra power from the E12. Looking at Oppo HA-2, Fiio E18, xDuoo XD-05, and Cayin C5 Spark. Not in a big rush on one of those, as I've found the DAC in the ipod touch to be surprisingly good.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to express my joy in finally getting an all around set-up that I am happy with. And it's all thanks to you guys in this thread that have helped pave the way. I can't wait to get all my new gear set-up and start slangin dat bass!! 

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #8,048 of 12,992
@Strauss95 Good stuff bro. The iDSD is a great pickup, dual mono DACs is something your dragonfly  definitely did not have! Don't be afraid to use the power the iDSD has. Crank down the EQ pre gain and crank up the bass and have fun seeing what you can do on the SZ2k :)

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #8,049 of 12,992
@vapman The iDSD has been my end game set-up i'm been dreaming of. High quality DAC along with TONS of power. Plus has the option of going portable. I probably won't use it out and about, but being portable will give me the opportunity to bring it around to demo for people, a way to enlighten others about the wonderful world of BASS lol. 

And the TH-X00's were also something I've lusted after for quite some time. If money wasn't a concern I would have probably picked up TH900's or E-mu Teak's, but the X00's were already maxing out my budget. If they have at least as much bass as my Yammy's and sound better overall I will be in heaven. 

And I had to get the ipod so I could EQ Spotify on the go. My Galaxy S7 has a complete JUNK eq, and I'm too nervous to attempt rooting it. So I went the safer route and picked up a 6th gen touch. SpotEQ works pretty good, solid enough for portable use. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8,050 of 12,992
The only reason i got rid of my iDSD is i had got one of the earliest possible units and it had a lot of hours on it. And ifi is picky about if you're the original owner or not. Figured I'd get a new one and have my butt covered should anything happen to it. But i will probably hold out for the black edition iDSD now...

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #8,051 of 12,992
A question for you bassheads that have the iDSD, what seem to be the optimal settings to use on it for maximum bass? I'll be using my SZ2K's and TH-X00's with it, and will also try out my MDR-7550 IEM's for the heck of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back